Where in WA for Forester lift?

gafsubi

Where in WA for Forester lift?

Post by gafsubi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:57 pm

hi all

Any suggestions please on where to go in Perth for Forester lift, either suspension or body? And what to go with?

I've searched a lot of threads/posts here but I keep finding Eastern states stuff.

I'm looking for 2" lift but need good combo of on and off road as my daughter will be driving it also?

cheers
Gaf

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:03 pm

gafsubi wrote:hi all

Any suggestions please on where to go in Perth for Forester lift, either suspension or body? And what to go with?

I've searched a lot of threads/posts here but I keep finding Eastern states stuff.

I'm looking for 2" lift but need good combo of on and off road as my daughter will be driving it also?

cheers
Gaf
You can get raised King Springs (+30mm) just about anywhere, and maybe Pedders too. Body lifts only come out of Queensland.

Dane.

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:03 pm

I have been exploring this myself recently for my Forester. Seams you can get away with a 40-50mm strut lift only (only half a full body lift kit) lift for these. Meaning u can keep the same suspension and actually gain 40-50mm ground clearance instead of raising your entire body off the running gear. This is legal and also rather simple to fit.

By my therory this should give you the same ride confort as non-lifted where as raised springs will decrease your up-travel and im sure make the ride stiffer.

Personally im going for aftermarket standard height King springs and the 2 inch strut only lift. As said above Kings make a raised spring for these that most of the lifted Forsters in WA seam to have gone with. These are legal but agian have to be ordered from the states.. might take a week to get in.

I have yet to find a lift kit or even replacement springs for these stocked locally so anything u get will need to come from over east.

My lift kit is getting made by a mate of mine... I got the price on just getting the strut lift only made by AuSubaru and it was more than i was willing to pay.

I might get killed for saying this but I wish Hi-Rise was still operational.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

gafsubi

Post by gafsubi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for the responses guys

Subarino
I haven't seen any lifted Foresters :) Have to open my eyes a bit further.
I'm running standard 205/70/15 BS Dueler HT's, this small amount of lift won't make the car look a bit odd? or should I go for 215/65/16. More money the FPO won't be happy about :mrgreen:

I'll do some digging around and be sure to post before and afters when I get it done.

:)

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 pm

I wasn't too sure how it would look either... i intend on keeping standard size wheels. They are rather big from factory (Almost the same size as my Hatch) so im sticking with em.

What i did was got 2 Jacks and jacked the car up 2 inches and stood back and had a look. The wheels will still be on the ground so will give you a good idea of what it will look like. The biggest difference i noticed is it changes the Forester from looking more like a station wagon into an SUV. And another 2 inches ontop of the foresters great ground clearance will count for something offroad.

Some mindless info for you... Factory released Foresters have more actual ground clearance than a factory released Patrol or Land Cruiser and most definately more than any factory Jeep. It's a good 2 inches higher in most cases. Im not opening this up for debate in this thread it's just what i have read and i have actually measured a jeep as a test.

Also do not forget if you intended on taking your forester offroad a good bash plate is the MOST important thing you will need. Legal requirements means it must be a airbag approved plate so it must be properly manufactured... the only place i have seen make these is over East at SubaXtreme but they are very pricey.. i was lucky to pick one up second hand but u do NEED it.

I forgot to add... if your wanting to get the most lift u can legally and without an engineer certificate you will need a full body 2 inch lift kit and lifted springs with it. This will give you about 3 inches of legal lift but will cost you about $1000 and a lot of labour to fit it yourself. If you want to pay someone to fit it all you may have to sell the car to afford it.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:24 pm

3 inchs of lift is NOT legal
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:45 pm

3 inches of body lift is illegal... 3 inches of suspension lift is illegal... 2 inch of body lift and stiffer springs (giving another inch of lift) is legal.

That being said... if this is going to turn into a debate, people with 3 inches of body lift and i think even 4 inches of body lift have passed pits inspection without needing a permit. Also i have a mate who had to remove his 2 inch kit to pass.

Dave

gafsubi

Post by gafsubi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:22 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:I wasn't too sure how it would look either... i intend on keeping standard size wheels. They are rather big from factory (Almost the same size as my Hatch) so im sticking with em.

What i did was got 2 Jacks and jacked the car up 2 inches and stood back and had a look. The wheels will still be on the ground so will give you a good idea of what it will look like. The biggest difference i noticed is it changes the Forester from looking more like a station wagon into an SUV. And another 2 inches ontop of the foresters great ground clearance will count for something offroad.

Some mindless info for you... Factory released Foresters have more actual ground clearance than a factory released Patrol or Land Cruiser and most definately more than any factory Jeep. It's a good 2 inches higher in most cases. Im not opening this up for debate in this thread it's just what i have read and i have actually measured a jeep as a test.

Also do not forget if you intended on taking your forester offroad a good bash plate is the MOST important thing you will need. Legal requirements means it must be a airbag approved plate so it must be properly manufactured... the only place i have seen make these is over East at SubaXtreme but they are very pricey.. i was lucky to pick one up second hand but u do NEED it.

I forgot to add... if your wanting to get the most lift u can legally and without an engineer certificate you will need a full body 2 inch lift kit and lifted springs with it. This will give you about 3 inches of legal lift but will cost you about $1000 and a lot of labour to fit it yourself. If you want to pay someone to fit it all you may have to sell the car to afford it.

Dave

Hadn't thought of jacking it up. Doh!

I was looking at a new shape Pathfinder and they are quoted as having either 200 or 210 mmm clearance.
My wagon's got a bit of a saggy butt as it is so I think I'm going to go for standard King springs and 2" strut lift. And it'll be cheaper to run and insure than one of those (and fit in the garage)

I've seen bash plates advertised, either on here or another forum, for 220 bucks??
Does it have to be airbag approved if you don't have airbags?

Glen

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:57 pm

gafsubi wrote: Does it have to be airbag approved if you don't have airbags?
Highly unlikely!

jason tincey

Post by jason tincey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:07 pm

hello, i bought a 2" lift kit off this site for around $350, was very happy with it, i fitting it my self which was not too difficult just unscrewing a few things then screwing them back togther. i am now buying raised king springs for a bit more lift and because my stock springs are begining to sag. just thuoght i would put in. btw 1st post for this site!!! hahahaha

gafsubi

Post by gafsubi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:42 pm

hi, i've been chatting to the guys at Ausubaru and coming up with a similar price. Maybe them?

going to give it a go soon.

cheers

BTW welcome:D

jason tincey

Post by jason tincey » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 pm

hey i have just got my new struts and king springs if you want to pm me and we can go for a 4x4 somewhere and you can see what a liftes foz looks like.
jason
HJ61 landcruiser, 2" lift and 33" muddies

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”