Removing wheel hub

DrDivad

Removing wheel hub

Post by DrDivad » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:47 pm

Since there's no Steering and Suspension section I figured here was the best place...

I have a screwed wheel bearing (front left) and it's at the rumbling stage, so she's just about cactus.

I have a parts car so in lieu of having a press (to take out the bearings directly) I was just going to swap over the entire wheel hub.

I have almost everything off of both cars...Caliper off, 3 bolts on the hub (2 at the top attaching it to the strut) and one at the bottom clamping the lower support arm thing)

I got the lower arm off by levering it out.

But I can't for the life of me get the steering arm off!!!!!

I tried hammering, prying, levering, even tried using a gear puller hooked round the bottom and pushing on the thread,,,nothing works

Somehow it's budged about 9mm and I can actually rotate the steering arm a few degrees, but it's still not coming off??

What's the secret!!!

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:26 pm

Have you tried a Tie Rod Removal Tool? Just like a big fork with a increasing angle you stick between the hub and tie rod and belt away.

Regards
Matt
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”