l series suspension in my

subaruby

l series suspension in my

Post by subaruby » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:22 pm

Found on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Subaru-L-series- ... dZViewItem

this ad mentions that .....

"They can also be adapted to improve the earlier MY-series sedan, wagon or Brumby ute."

Does anyone know if this is true and if so how?

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

SubaRute

Post by SubaRute » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:23 pm

i dont think so? unless you have a lift kit which has allowed you to use the rear springs off an L series.

correct me if im wrong.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:57 pm

one day I am gonna jack up the arse of an MY and an L side by side with a tape measure.

adapt may be a very flexible word

I have seen the Holcon. An XW Falcon cut down the middle, front to back to the floor pan (suspension still Falcon?) ADAPTED to it was the mating side of a Holden HK,T or G, windscreens the lot!!!

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:44 pm

Sure, it's been done.
It will improve the load carrying ability but you are still under-shocked for carrying/towing heavy loads so you still need a secondary shock as well. The main drawback is punching the top of the coilover through the mudguard as it was not designed for this much load.
I prefer the cut down L series rear spring on the bumpstop method myself.
Settlement Creek Racing

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:33 am

A feller on the Brindabella Motorsport Club site rallies an MY sedan and it has really schmick (and expensive) Proflex coil overs bolted to that top rear turret mount . Sure his shell has a welded in cage and probably lots of stitch welded seams but no issues so far .

If you ever had the chance to cut up a dead Brumby in that area you would find out if its strong enough to take the full suspension loading . If not it would be easy enough to strengthen it .

Cheers A .

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:58 am

discopotato03 wrote:A feller on the Brindabella Motorsport Club site rallies an MY sedan and it has really schmick (and expensive) Proflex coil overs bolted to that top rear turret mount . Sure his shell has a welded in cage and probably lots of stitch welded seams but no issues so far .

If you ever had the chance to cut up a dead Brumby in that area you would find out if its strong enough to take the full suspension loading . If not it would be easy enough to strengthen it .

Cheers A .
My race ute also has the rear cage welded to the top of the rear mudguard to strengthen it. Cutting up things to see how strong they are is fine, in theory. But I was speaking from experience.
Does the MY sedan still have the rear torsion bar or has he changed to a trailing arm? With the torsion bar holding up the car, you wouldn't need much of a coil spring on the coilover.
Settlement Creek Racing

stinky

Post by stinky » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:38 am

definately! If you have a 2" lift they fit perfectly to an MY.

Just need to replace the Pin adaptor that comes with them to suit, I've heard of people using angle for them.

I've got a set on my leone sedan, they make a huge difference. If I trusted my fab skills I'd have a set on the brumby too.

maybe the Suby boys ( rtcb65 etc ) should start making the adaptors? they've got the skills and could earn them a few bucks.
'91 brumby, EJ-Turbo with VOSChip, 2" lift, 15" superlites, Dual Range AWD.

'93 Subaru Legacy, 2.2 auto, automatic seatbelts, LHD.

discopotato03

Post by discopotato03 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm

No I said coilovers which as you know is the spring over the damper .

Brumby runner I think you sell me short , by see how strong it is I mean to measure the guage of the steel mount plus any stiffening gussets and how many layers and spot welds are in that area . I'd like to think you know what sorts of loads the dampers put into body mounts and if they survive that ok I doubt it would have any trouble supporting the lighter end of a lightweight ute .

If you want the best of whats available up there I suggest you speak to Murray Coote about his Proflex gear , makes Sport Bilsteins look average .

Personally I think the rear torsion bar idea is a beancounters one not an engineers one . They are simple but not so versatile .
Someone who is switched on with Brumby's I've spoken to uses the 2WD L rear lower strut mount I think cut and welded to the MY control arms - I imagine along with the four L anti roll bar mounts . If possible small 60mm ID springs would leave a bit more room for wheel/tyre clearance but its all doable .

The trouble with using a spring over the bump stop is the different lever ratio and the rate of spring that would require . It'd be a bit late and catestrophic to discover that the trailing arm couldn't hack that sort of load so close to its pivot points .

Adding a second damper is an exercise in more weight and complexity . One with the right dimensions and valving to suit the effective "spring" rate is the best way to go .

Cheers A .

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:16 pm

Thanks for the comments, I don't have a lift kit installed, I know you can get adapters to suitable more "common shocks" but had never heard of using l series in my series, but liked the idea.

brumbyrunner can you expand on this comment
I prefer the cut down L series rear spring on the bumpstop method myself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:11 pm

The bottem end of an L series rear coil will fit neatly over the rear bumpstop on an MY so you can use them as a helper. I welded a top coil bucket in place of the bump stop stopper and trimmed the coil to suit. I doubt it is legal and I cant guarantee how safe it is (as discopotato03 pointed out) and it really is only nessessary for carrying or towing heavy loads which you probably shouldn't be doing anyway. I've had them in my white turbo Brumby for 10 years with no problems.
Settlement Creek Racing

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”