Sydney: Steerig Rack Reco needed

Sideways Subaru

Sydney: Steerig Rack Reco needed

Post by Sideways Subaru » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:40 pm

I need to get my steering rack rebuilt or find a low k's one-can anyone recommend me someone who can do this in the Sydney area? btw its not a power steerin rack just a normal one.

Cheers Hux

subalex

Post by subalex » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Alex... I've got one on my spare car you can buy for next to nothing compared to rebuilding it. There weren't any problems with it when I was driving it. Give us a call.

Alex
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:57 pm

can i ask whats wrong and wt makes a Manual steering rack need replacing or reconditioning?

i dont no bout them so im just wdonering do they get heaps tighter or sumthin
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

subalex

Post by subalex » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:38 pm

Basically you will find that there is more and more play in the steering, especially in centre position you can feel that there is a looseness for a few degrees before you feel the weight of moving the wheels. As it gets worse, you will feel it through the steering wheel, and hear it, knocking when going over big bumps like pot-holes. If the steering rack boots are cracked or split and are letting out the lubricant and letting in any dust then you need to get to them ASAP before this does irreparable damage. Replacement boot = $10 or so.

Another part that can give you the sensation of a very hard spot in the steering rack is the universal joint linkage on the steering column in the engine bay if the joints dry out. Take it off and give it a good soak in engine oil to free up the joints again and then rub plenty of grease into it again to protect them from dust and water.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

vee-dub

Post by vee-dub » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:30 am

Just repling to subalex about the "universal joint linkage on the steering column in the engine bay if the joints dry out". I did it and so far so good thanks mate, i've been driving through a lot of water at the moment with all the rain qld's getting at the mo.

vee-dub

Post by vee-dub » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 am

Just repling to subalex about the "universal joint linkage on the steering column in the engine bay if the joints dry out". I did it and so far so good thanks mate, i've been driving through a lot of water at the moment with all the rain qld's getting at the mo.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”