Your Opinion?

blue collar

Your Opinion?

Post by blue collar » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:55 pm

G'day all,

Just go back from Pedders after having the wagon checked for roadworthiness [like that was gonna be an issue] and was told all but one shocky was kaput, as well as sway and lower bushes needing replacement-
Not an unreasonable list of problems considering it's a 10year old car, but the bill for repairs will be $1,847.70.

I was wondering if anyone else, Blackbox, Epic etc..can do better than this?
I am still prepared to foot the bill as i use the subie for every outing including looong distance trips with the family.

so, if anyone could offer some advice i will greatly appreciate it, have tried to contact the people listed above, but work hours restrict my options[calling at 3am has earnt me a few names over the years!!!!]

many thanks,
charlie.

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:44 pm

dammmmmmn thats a huge bill
im guessing ur not into the whole Home mechanic thing so u will be gettin sum1 else to do it
but serously if it is only 10 years old then i wouldnt ecpect a big bill like that
seems more like pedders is tryna get money from u (i rang em yesterday for a price and they staretd tryna sell me evrything for my car and were upset when i said i wasnt buying nething off them then straight away hang up on me rude lol)

wt car u got aswell?
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

blue collar

Post by blue collar » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for the reply, it confirms my suspicions about the big mob, big contempt theory. I have done repairs on my own cars in the past, but our current address lacks some important features[ garage, level ground etc.. ] and with my job being on-call 24hrs/7days it was easier to drop her off and collect when finished. I'l keep trying to find a more reasonable price or buy parts and dedicate some time to it at a friend's place.
90 L series wagon-stock ea82[hafta fix that]15"tyres on sunnies- picked her up for $3000.00

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:18 pm

so which parts do u actually NEED (and not wt pedders wants to put on and charge u for)

it wuld eb nice gettin all of it done but it jsut aint worth the money that they charge

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:59 pm

If your a bit handy Ie DIY. buy some kyb shocks i just order a rear pair for $80 each. Easy to fit. Try sourcing some nolethane bushes. any mechanic should be able to do it for you for a better price if you are not going to do it yourself

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

blue collar

Post by blue collar » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:30 pm

G'day again, took the L for a run to noosa last night, i know i need bushes front and rear and replacing the shocks will become a must for future adventures.[ just about knocked myself out while doing a little hill climb]
think i'll find a spring compress and do themm myself, as for the bushes it should not be too much drama to install new ones, as the old/originals have just about disappeared. thanks all and i will update when i've finished bandaging my hands up!

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:46 pm

sounds good
dont forget u need 2 spring compressors one for each side (u only mentioned one, culd be typo or sumthin)
even if u do the shocks and those bushes u mention (not sure which ones they wuld be) but that shuld save ya a fair wack of money from wt pedders wuld be askin to do em
neways update soon and with some pics lol

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Pedders is a place where they'll rip you off! I steer away from them..

If you know what you're doing with parts etc then I advise you to do it.
Are they badly worn or "cannot be seen that are worn" as other RWC tester might give you green light.

Do a bit more home work but I know time takes longer but worth it at the end.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

fleaborg

a similar situation

Post by fleaborg » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:25 pm

i took my l wagon to pedder's a few months ago to get a suspension check done. they told me i needed the same bushes replaced and new shocks. new shocks, yes, i did. and have. theyre great (thanks blackbox motorsports & kyb). the bushes though... thats a different matter. lower control arms need replacing but none of the others they said do. pedders got nothing out of me though for all their trying. i got the parts from blackbox.

unfortunately the bolts/nuts through the bushes that need replacing are well and truly seized and, like blue collar, my house too lacks adequate workspace... besides, paying someone like scorpion subaru to do it will be well worth the the frustration i'll be saved.
'86 DL Wagon. KYB Shocks. King Springs. 13" Sunraysias.
'95 GX Liberty Wagon. Kenwood/Hertz Sound System. 17" WRX Wheels. Otherwise stock.

subalex

Post by subalex » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 pm

I remember getting the full Pedders springs and shocks. I found, like we all have, that buying through them was very expensive. They said that they wouldn't just sell me the parts due to the nature of their warranty being void.

To sidestep this, however, I bought them through Jax instead. They let me buy the parts through them and I saved big time. Around $700 i think it was for all the springs and shocks. Sure, you can still get cheaper though if you go for KYB. Just have to match up the springs with shocks before buying them. ie. Kings springs don't go with Monroe shocks... they physically don't match up.
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

blue collar

Post by blue collar » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:14 pm

G'day, back again, spoke to scorpion subaru and have decided to hold off for a bit until i can hand the wagon over to them, after all they do work with the beasts more than anyone else, by that time the annoying sounds eminating from under the lid might also be removed. Hey who knows? ea82t? rather have ej22, but {sigh...}, have to work towards that.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”