Brumby/Leone Power Steering Replacement

GL-5

Brumby/Leone Power Steering Replacement

Post by GL-5 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Hi,

Have a 1983 Leone Sedan with power steering (fitted with new boots 12y ago from donor 83 wagon). Only done 70000km since then nearly all tarmac driving and been garaged/carported during that time.

Noticed an oil leak under the car and it turns out to be a split drivers side steering boot with fluid pooling. It's only just started as the fluid level is good.

I've looked into getting the rack reconditioned but the workshop is worried about wether my unit is serviceable or not as it is so old. They have recomended I source a back up unit for the job. This will increase the cost of my repairs further and I still have to hope/check that the backup unit is also servicable. I can remove the unit from the car my self and take it in first to check condition, but I don't really want to do that.

Are there any other options/tips for replacing? I was wondering if ther are any later model racks that can be fitted? Or if I have to remove the rack my self, how hard is it to replace the offending seal/s myself? If I take the rack out i'm going to have to reinstall it myself anyway.

Located in Adelaide SA
Thanks

TOONGA
Elder Member

Re: Brumby/Leone Power Steering Replacement

Post by TOONGA » Wed May 20, 2020 8:31 am

Having seen one of these racks apart, it isn't putting it back together that is the problem. finding the correct seals is the issue.

the later model racks are wider and cause steering geometry and bump stop problems.

I have seen people use the electric steering column with a manual rack out of an English vehicle but I cannot remember which vehicle.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 20, 2020 11:22 am

I too would like to renew the seals in my rack but can’t for the life of me find seal part numbers. I swear I’ve seen them on the web somewhere but can’t relocate that post/info.

They can certainly be pulled apart and put back together.

If someone works out part numbers or replacement part number that would be awesome.

Other thought that just occurred to me - go and hassle the local dealership to scour through their parts manuals if they still have them for the Brumby/MYs.

You will have a better chance finding a PS rack than new seals, but could still end up with the same leaking issue.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Wed May 20, 2020 6:46 pm

The local shop quoted 130 for seal kit. So did jarvis Subaru.

Jarvis said there are none in the country but could get some from Japan, possibly 2-3 months. Just a note, Jarvis said they will not give out part numbers.

Looking at the Service Manual (supplement has AU RHD PS teardown) the seals were only ever provided as a kit, so there will only be one serial no. Plus there are 2 different kits (so 2 part numbers) both will be used in a complete rebuild.

Intalling seals can be a pain some times, I would hate wait months just to damage one and then have to get another kit. Main reason I asked if some one here had re-sealed their PS box before.

There are also seal kits on ebay USA but none for Brat. The loyale one may be the same (Type, plus LHD vs RHD) but not sure and I havent checked.

A Reco rack on eBay Aus is similar price to getting my own done and fitted. But they also want a donor unit which takes them off my option list.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed May 20, 2020 10:49 pm

Interesting. I’ll have to visit my local dealership workshop (separate to the new vehicle dealership venue) and place an order.

I can wait!

And I don’t know if the kit for the EA82 steering rack would work as there could be slight differences in the seals. But who knows really! We’d have to compare kit part numbers.

Cheers
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Thu May 21, 2020 1:47 pm

This might help work out what you need. I haven't gone through it closely yet. Not enough for me to attempt the repair myself yet anyway.

1983-84 Subaru Powersteering Manual

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AhxbFmB0ciy-0Zo7OXSC9QtTMb_HmA

Let me know if you find some info about the seal kits.

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:49 am

Sorry for late reply:

I get all my steering stuff at OG Automotive, were on OG road, now in Broadview? https://ogautomotiveservices.com.au/ (free plug for their driveshafts too. Fair price (maybe not as cheap as repco junk) but I've seriously never had one fail, and some of my customers are fairly feral on their vehicles.)

Speak with Geoff, the lead steering guy, or Dave the owner. I used to work with Geoff, top guy, knows where to draw the line on repairs. By that I mean, they can seriously restore stuff, but wont repair something that had no hope. They can still do the old machine out your non-available CV joint and fit larger balls. Yes, impressive.

The main issue will be water damage usually: So with the steering rack boots off, if the shafts are free of rust (or scores and groves if you play in sand) then it's almost 100% rebuildable.

I've only ever had one issue, a pump siezed instantly, and was replaced the next day, no BS. Good warranty.

What was the fluid like? if it was really black, consider sending the pump in too, then flush you lines before assembly: Consider fitting a cooler and a filter too. Magnefine do a nice one, although you can use a cheaper one off a ford IIRC, it just goes in the return line like a fuel filter.

GL-5

Post by GL-5 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks for the tip.

I had already talked to OG. Spare parts guy at Jarvis recommended them also.

I was worried about having to source another PS unit if mine was not good while sitting at their shop, but they said worse case they can get the shafts chromed. If that was required then the added cost put my car in the "do I really want to keep this car" zone.

I've really been putting off getting it repaired as the weber had detuned itself and was not enjoyable to drive anymore, but i've fixed that up now. Plus I wanted to see how much it was actually leaking just incase it was just 10 years of slow build up let out by the broken boot.

Fluid is a reddish brown, smells fine, pump not leaking.

PS unit ist leaking too much though just to put a new boot on, so it looks like i'll have to book in at OG.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”