KYB or Original subaru struts

pzs

KYB or Original subaru struts

Post by pzs » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:44 pm

What's the general coconscious regarding original manufacturer or aftermarket front and rear shockers for a L series for robustness.

Has anyone experienced either on long corrugated dirt roads. Re fading/overheating. I'm upgrading my cars suspension, which way is better, or do I go for price.

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Some OEM were KYB.
There are many differences, but KYB seem to last longest and work well, they can be harder to get.
I have tried Monroe and Pedders, for me, KYB is better for general driving and long life. Monroe gas are good as well, although fail with lots of hard 4wd driving.
Pedders seem to fail earlier, rougher ride, seem to be more road orientated.
Depends on driving style what you should get.
For what you want, as long as they are gas, not standard oil, they should be good.
There are many options. Shop around for prices, this generally helps with final decision.
L serious, still.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:49 am

Either KYB or OEM is as good as it gets for an off-the-shelf strut. Avoid the other brands.

Running a 2nd shock on the front has proven to be a good cheap upgrade if you're working your suspension hard.
Settlement Creek Racing

pzs

Post by pzs » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:58 am

I tries the 2nd strut on my 94 l, it felt bloody aweful, no give at all, did everything the mod required couldn't drive it

pzs

Post by pzs » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Are new Subaru oem struts (front and rear) gas or oil?

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:49 pm

oil
Settlement Creek Racing

pzs

Post by pzs » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:37 am

I'm guessing gas oil KYB would probably be better on extended corregations....assume they won't fad as quickly as oil?

ratters

Post by ratters » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 pm

I just replaced all the suspension in my '89 L series, a set of King Springs plus all new shocks. Gabriel Ultra Gas shocks in the front and KYB in the rear. It feels like a new car, very stiff and lighter to steer. The reason for the 2 types of shocks was simply i had an auto store voucher to use up so i got the Gabriels from there and the KYB online.
The rear definitely feels stiffer than the front but overall it feels amazing, the front shocks that came out i believe were originals and you could push in the shafts by hand and they stayed there! :shock:

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:22 pm

Did heights remain as before ? I went new genuine front in my Brumby - they retained same colour, height adjusters, fitment and quality. Cheaper than some after markets too ! Totally happy :)

nncoolg

Post by nncoolg » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:52 am

The rears you bought, were they a fixed height or did they have the rotating, 3 level spring perch? Been trying to find that part number for ages...
The trading corner : the stuff that I need ATM -
# Vortex Main Dash Surround / Bezel ANY COLOUR,
# Vortex Radio, # RHD Vortex 4speed auto digital dash,
# RH-Side parking (86+) Vortex wiper transmission,
# EA82 AWD 4EAT,
If you have them please PM me :cool:

ratters

Post by ratters » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:47 am

I definitely gained some height in the front with the new springs/shocks, Im not sure whether its the new components or just that its now returned to original height. Before fitting them there was a noticeable sag on one side of the car but thats gone now :)

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”