Replacing Front Control Arm Rear Bushes

NachaLuva
General Member

Replacing Front Control Arm Rear Bushes

Post by NachaLuva » Fri May 10, 2013 7:41 pm

One of my front control arm rear bushes has been leaking for bout 18mths now, just recently the other one started too. I have since found out not adjusting them after installing raised springs has killed them! :cry:

So I got these:
Control Arm Rear Bush (Castor)- SuperPro

They even come in Subaru blue! :cool:

Only now I need some help installing them. I should be right putting them in by using a vice to press them in. I was going to try using a vice to push the old ones out using either sockets (dont think mine are big enough) or 2 sizes of pipe, one the size of the housing, the other the size of the sleeve.

Will this be hard? Any better way of doing it? Also, does anyone know what size pipe I would have to use?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

Post by 60766244 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:57 pm

NachaLuva wrote:One of my front control arm rear bushes has been leaking for bout 18mths now, just recently the other one started too. I have since found out not adjusting them after installing raised springs has killed them! :cry:

So I got these:
Control Arm Rear Bush (Castor)- SuperPro

They even come in Subaru blue! :cool:

Only now I need some help installing them. I should be right putting them in by using a vice to press them in. I was going to try using a vice to push the old ones out using either sockets (dont think mine are big enough) or 2 sizes of pipe, one the size of the housing, the other the size of the sleeve.

Will this be hard? Any better way of doing it? Also, does anyone know what size pipe I would have to use?
When getting my bushing in/out the rear diff in Maple I put the blowtorch quickly to the outer ring and then pressed it using a similar method you just described.
To get the new one in was easier - I just heated the hell out of the housing and then pushed the bushing in much easier.

Not sure what the legit method is ... But interested.
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Sat May 11, 2013 9:19 am

I dont have a blow torch but I thought I might try a heat gun. Alloy is very conductive so if I get it nice & hot it might expand enough to make it easier...good idea :D

Now I just gotta work out what size pipes I need...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm

OK, got some pipe, smoothed out the inside so I dont cut the polyurethane. Just havent built up the courage to pull em out yet. Kinda stuck if I cant do it as you can imagine....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tuckerbag

Post by Tuckerbag » Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 pm

I changed the bushes on the 00 OB all by the vice, what you need is a VERY long and strong steel pipe provided you have the HD vice.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 pm

Best way to replace them is to buy a set of these and no pressing required
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHITELINE-KC ... 257d2cb7bc
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Tue May 14, 2013 5:51 pm

I like the Gold alloy housings, but I've already bought the bushes. Superpro are meant to be pretty good plus they have caster offset
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed May 22, 2013 5:58 am

Got the bushes out easily enough by welding a HT bolt to a plate & a piece of RHS for a handle, some pipe & my 2' breaker bar.

Couldn't get the new ones in though so I went across the road to a friendly mechanic who let me use his press...oh so easy! :cool:

I made a little mistake though...who can pick it? :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 am

you got a pair of off centre bushes ?

I am guessing you fitted the alloy with intact bushing on the pipe, used washers, nut and breaker bar/socket to gently wind the old bush into the pipe on bar ?

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 am

Lol ;)

I put the new bushes in the wrong way! They should be facing with the offset facing outwards (pushes the control arm out & forward for more caster & I think also more camber), which I thought they were, but I had the housing upside down, therefore sides reversed. Didnt notice till I went to put them in! Had to go back to the mechanic, press em out & back in again. 2nd time around was easy, only took bout 15min all together.

Whats annoying is I believe in "measure twice, cut once" so I checked the bush orientation then rechecked then checked again, never noticed I had the housing upside down :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”