Landcruiser rear shocks on brumby

Brumbus

Landcruiser rear shocks on brumby

Post by Brumbus » Fri May 10, 2013 8:37 pm

Hello, new to this. I have a 93' brumby and the rear shocks are one the way out. I tend to carry a moderate load of tools when working and a heavy load when camping (top tent, supplies, etc.) and the standard shocks struggled with this.

I've read that landcruiser shocks may be able to fit a brumby, can someone confirm this? And which model in particular they come from? Also are any modifications needed to fit them?

Also has anyone done this modification already and provide some feedback on it?

Would be much appreciated:)

Thanks!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 11, 2013 12:33 am

I don't know which model it is that you need to get them from but I'm 99% sure that you need at least a 3 inch lift kit to make it work.

Someone here should know for sure, but I remember reading something about this years ago. Rodeo shocks could be the go for a non lifted brumby - again I can't remember all the details.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Brumbus

Post by Brumbus » Sat May 11, 2013 12:46 am

Thanks very much for your input. In light of this new information, since my brumby is unlifted, can anyone confirm what rodeo shocks will fit?

Lachlan

stork955

Post by stork955 » Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 am

G'day, common mistake here - you need stiffer springs. The shocks don't carry any weight, they are there to stop the springs continually "springing" after you pass a bump. Have a look for heavy duty springs.

Cheers,

Stork

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:13 am

Best conversion for the rear suspension on the brumby is to use L.Series rear shocks and when the brumby is empty, you just wind the brumby rear suspension fully down and allow the L.Series shocks (with springs) to do the work, then when the brumby is fully loaded, wind the brumby up and it takes up the extra weight or another option is to use VR/VS commonwhore rear air shockes. This is what the Yellow Beast has in it but these aren't cheap and require a lift.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 am

look here in my brumby thread for a "solution" showthread.php?t=15851&page=60

I found the "L" series shocks very stiff the MX5 shocks worked well, but ended up on my vortex to give it a better ride :) I'm looking at a set of aftermarket air shocks (at some point) for my brumby.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 11, 2013 10:27 am

TOONGA wrote:I'm looking at a set of aftermarket air shocks (at some point) for my brumby.
I have a set of used ones if you want?
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat May 11, 2013 10:44 am

RSR 555 wrote:I have a set of used ones if you want?
For me or Brumbus :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

Brumbus

Post by Brumbus » Sat May 11, 2013 11:29 pm

TOONGA wrote:look here in my brumby thread for a "solution" showthread.php?t=15851&page=60

I found the "L" series shocks very stiff the MX5 shocks worked well, but ended up on my vortex to give it a better ride :) I'm looking at a set of aftermarket air shocks (at some point) for my brumby.

TOONGA
Great looking mod you have there. A couple of questions about L series shocks since you have used them. Were they the adjustable type? I didn't realise they were that long compared to the stock brumby shock. Also are any mods needed to fit them, or do they bolt straight on?

This is much appreciated, i need a bit of guidance before I go ahead and waste money on the wrong shocks!

Brumbus

Post by Brumbus » Sat May 11, 2013 11:34 pm

RSR 555 wrote:Best conversion for the rear suspension on the brumby is to use L.Series rear shocks and when the brumby is empty, you just wind the brumby rear suspension fully down and allow the L.Series shocks (with springs) to do the work, then when the brumby is fully loaded, wind the brumby up and it takes up the extra weight or another option is to use VR/VS commonwhore rear air shockes. This is what the Yellow Beast has in it but these aren't cheap and require a lift.
The L series sound perfect for now. Ideally I would have air shocks, however I still don't have a lift kit (every "supplier" I have emailed about getting one have never gotton back to me!).

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:47 pm

TOONGA wrote:For me or Brumbus :)

TOONGA
Either of you can have them at this weekends special price ;)
Brumbus wrote:Great looking mod you have there. A couple of questions about L series shocks since you have used them. Were they the adjustable type? I didn't realise they were that long compared to the stock brumby shock. Also are any mods needed to fit them, or do they bolt straight on?

This is much appreciated, i need a bit of guidance before I go ahead and waste money on the wrong shocks!
The adjustable ones were only available in the 1985/86 models and I'll let Jules answer for what he used but what I've found is to use the later model L.Series ones (non adjustable) and use lower spring rates if you need to but really just remove a coil of the spring if it's too much. Just make sure you keep the bump stops (on the car's body) at the right height or you'll end up loosing the spring base (ask Guyph about that).

You should be able to pick up a really cheap set of standard L.Series shocks to try out. Even a set of secondhand ones from a member on here shouldn't set you back too much (maybe even for free if you find someone just wanting to get rid of them??)

I found the only "mod" was to make the top bracket for the shock. There is 2 ways of doing this, either to make a completely new top (like TOONGA did) or make a piece of strong flat bar against the body of the Brumby and make it long enough to fit the top bracket of the L.Series ones. If this is making sense? What I like to do when making "mods" is to keep it simple and easy to replace, just in case I'm stuck out in the middle of no-where.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Brumbus wrote:The L series sound perfect for now. Ideally I would have air shocks, however I still don't have a lift kit (every "supplier" I have emailed about getting one have never gotton back to me!).
To fit the Air Shocks, you need to make a bracket similar to what TOONGA has. I can make these and send them to you if needed.

These are the Air Shocks I have fitted to our MY wagon (same suspension as the Brumby) and these are on special as I just brought some new ones last week for $374 a pair :(
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VP-VR ... 2c6b7b3488

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumbus

Post by Brumbus » Sun May 12, 2013 12:42 am

RSR 555 wrote:To fit the Air Shocks, you need to make a bracket similar to what TOONGA has. I can make these and send them to you if needed.

These are the Air Shocks I have fitted to our MY wagon (same suspension as the Brumby) and these are on special as I just brought some new ones last week for $374 a pair :(
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-VP-VR ... 2c6b7b3488
The bracket seems pretty simple to make, 3 holes in some angle iron ;).

Why the need for new air shocks? Are the old ones had it? However what is your 'special weekend price'?

On the lowest ride position, are the air shocks much (if any) higher than the stock brumby ones? I want to try to keep the rear at a similar height to what it is when it's unloaded if possible.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 am

Brumbus wrote:The bracket seems pretty simple to make, 3 holes in some angle iron ;).
Pretty much, just needs a small bend in one side just to get the angle right. I also recommend some gussets in there too.
Brumbus wrote:Why the need for new air shocks? Are the old ones had it? However what is your 'special weekend price'?
The old rims/tyres on the car have left some rubbing in the bag part of the shock, so I decided to change them. I did offer them to Jules first, so if he doesn't want them, I'll let you know.
Brumbus wrote:On the lowest ride position, are the air shocks much (if any) higher than the stock brumby ones? I want to try to keep the rear at a similar height to what it is when it's unloaded if possible.
Ok, I understand. These VR/VS air shocks would be like having the standard suspension wound up to the top and without any load in the tray. The other thing is to make the bracket upside down, with this you could make them the same as standard Brumby length but I've never done this as all the cars I've done have been lifted.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 12, 2013 7:44 am

With Jules finding the L series shocks a bit stiff, surely the L Series spring was the cause? So maybe, there is a market for L Series sedan rear spring/shock assemblies with their softer spring rates ? FWD Vortex rear spring rates might be similar .....for unlifted MY rear ends

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:06 am

Possibly so Jonno but this would be trial and error. What are the spring rates?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumbus

Post by Brumbus » Sun May 12, 2013 9:19 pm

I understand about what you mean of flipping the bracket, this would mean that the fold in the angle iron would go the other way (if i'm not mistaken). Well if Jules isn't keen on them, i reckon i'd be keen on the set and some brackets.

Let me know which way it goes.

Thanks again!

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:11 am

No worries :)

Yeah. I envision it would work ok but never tried it.

Jules has threatened to never talk to me again if I gave these shockies away... choices.. choices :rolleyes:

I can offer you some drawings and some lengths of the shocks if that helps out? or make up some brackets if you need someone to make them?

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brumbus

Post by Brumbus » Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 am

Haha I might just have to get a new set like yourself.

Some shock dimensions and photos of them fitted to your ride would be much appreciated. Im curious to know how you attatch the adapter bracket to the threaded end of the shocks.

Also I should be able to fabricate the brackets myself if you can tell me what thickness steel angle they are made of? And what degrees to put the bend in at (provided I can fold it with a vice and some careful hammer work).

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks for your understanding and I'll get some drawings (with sizes and thickness) for you. I'll work out what size the bracket should be and also get you the fully compressed and fully extended lengths of the air shocks. Plus I'll post up some pics

New shocks are always best and I'd buy the ones from ebay or see if your local Monroe place can do you the same price??

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”