Forester MY06 Suspension lift kit

frug

Forester MY06 Suspension lift kit

Post by frug » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Hi there everyone.

I'm wanting to get into some off road touring in my 2006 Forester X and i was wondering if anyone had any info on suspension lift kits.

I've installed new BFG All Terrain 215/60 15 tyres and they've given me a little more height, but it'd be nice to get a little more, like 2" or 3".

I've read a bit of info on several forums and sites, but most posts are from 2010 or earlier, so not sure if there's anything currently available.

I'm not mechanically minded, so i'd deff need to get it professionally fitted, right. I live in Balwyn North, Victoria.

Any help/info would be grand!!

Kind regards
Doug

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:42 am

first of all welcome to the site!

you made a good choice with the 06 forester.

there are 2 ways to lift it.

1) lifted sprigs. these will give you about 30mm lift and the preferred brand for our subies are king springs. if your doing this mod then you will have to replace the rear struts with after market units. the preferred brand for these are KYB. this is the more expensive option as more is involved and more parts but will allow you to carry more load and handle better in the bends

2) strut spacers. there come in 2 sizes 25mm and 50mm. these just sit on top of the struts and are the cheapest option. there are few people that make these spacers:
Jackson Rally
Subtle Solutions
Cross **** Performance
Sumo
plus i think these 2 placers sell them:
Subaxtreme
Scorpion Subaru
plus i think there is someone on this forum that makes them not sure who sorry! :confused:
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

frug

Post by frug » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi there Thunder. Thanks for the info, very helpful.

I think i want to go with the Lifted Springs option. I think that this will give me the best height gain overall. I think that if i only lift the Struts, then that will only lift the body and not the drive shaft and diff, right?

Also, can you recommend a good Suby mechanic to take care of my car?

Cheers!

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:21 pm

the strut spacers and springs will give you the same lift so that wont matter.

any suspension or mechanic work shop can do the work, just go to your usual place that you trust. and dont bother with pedders.

also you can do a combination of the two eg lifted springs and strut spacers- this is a common mod by owners
2008 zook jimny -sold!

frug

Post by frug » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 am

Hey there guys.

So been doing some investigating and have almost decided on the 2" lift kit from Cross **** Performance: [url]http://www.*********performance.com/products[/url]

I'll also need to get new King Springs and KYB struts. Can anyone suggest a place in Melb to get these?

Also, getting new springs and struts, will that increase the travel of the suspension? It's all good to lift the car, but could I also get a little more travel? Or will increasing the travel mean i need to replace loads more parts? I'm new at all this techy car stuff, so please be patient with me.

Cheers
Doug

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:42 pm

frug wrote:
Also, getting new springs and struts, will that increase the travel of the suspension? It's all good to lift the car, but could I also get a little more travel?

Cheers
Doug
good choice on the lift remember to upload some pics once done.

sorry cant recommend any one it Melbourne

unfortunately longer travel suspension are unavailable for the forester and the new springs and shocks will not increase travel. its one of the biggest let downs of the subaru's offroad, is there ability to flew
2008 zook jimny -sold!

frug

Post by frug » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:16 pm

no worries about the extra travel, as long as I get more clearance, that's the main thing.

So, just so i can get it clear in my head, the Spring/Strut blocks raise the body AND drivetrain of the car?

The new springs and struts will improve the handling of the car once it's been raised?

Sorry for the dumb question.

Cheers
Doug
P.S. and i'll be sure to take some pics!!

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:05 pm

frug wrote: P.S. and i'll be sure to take some pics!!
its fine.

yep springs and strut spacers will lift the body and drivetrain. and the king springs handle very well with many of us using them and having positive experience, especially in the bends ;)
2008 zook jimny -sold!

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”