Lift kit question

Superu

Lift kit question

Post by Superu » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm

I have my 2" lift kit (thanks Dave!) ready to go in the garage, but have been strapped for time to get it in. (05 OBW)

Any problem with putting in the strut tops one weekend, driving it for a week and then putting in the rest of the blocks and steering coupler? I realize the alignment will probably be off until its all done and realigned, but I could live with that for a week or so?

What else should I be concerned about?

Thanks,
Bill
05 Subaru Outback

"99% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at..."

The Superu

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 pm

The only problem would be the front A arm trailing bush, there is not alot of play to be able to pivot much, if you poke your head under the rear wheel you will see the bush is pivoted vertically not horizontally. If it where a previous generation you wouldnt have an issue. All the new Subaru have gone this way.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:12 am

Bill, can't wait to see this subi lifted! Hope it looks mean enough for you ;)

Good luck on the install, its a bugger that your staged install idea seems to have that bush problem as SWK said.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:55 am

Good Luck and show us pics of before and after.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Why not just wait a week and do it all at once? Seems like creating extra work for no reason.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 pm

An alternative you could lift the rear then lift the front after a week or so, i have seen this way done a few times, not recomended as the cars handling goes to crap.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

jason tincey

Post by jason tincey » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:01 pm

hey hows it going, i bought my 2" lift kit off this site. fitted it my self (sawn't too difficult). been very happy with it. it cost me around $350. i am now buying raised king springs for a bit more hight and that the stock springs in it now are starting to sag. just thuoght i would share this. btw 1st post for this site!!!!!

mortaygo

Post by mortaygo » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:03 am

Any problem with putting in the strut tops one weekend, driving it for a week and then putting in the rest of the blocks and steering coupler? I realize the alignment will probably be off until its all done and realigned, but I could live with that for a week or so?

(Suby Wan Kenobi An alternative you could lift the rear then lift the front after a week or so, i have seen this way done a few times, not recomended as the cars handling goes to crap. )

I am confused - as I bought what I thought was the strut lift kit on this site.. and my mechinic won't fit them as he reckons it will throw everything out... I thought arhh rubbish.. then I read this post about - fitting the strut tops seperate to the blocks and steering coupler.... all I got was the strut tops.. maybe a good thing I didn't fit them hey....
So what gives? is there meant to be more to the kit than the strut tops?

Joe

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:07 am

If you bought a strut lift kit then I'm guessing you just get the lift components for the struts only. What car do you have? If it's a Liberty then it's common for people to just do this strut lift only.
A full body lift kit comes with heaps of other parts to go between all body crossmembers.
Kinda like this;
http://www.funonwheels.net/hirisesubaru ... iftkit.jpg

Yes it does throw some things out but not too badly, Subaru's with lift kits are incredibly common - if your mechanic won't do it then find somebody else or do it yourself.

mortaygo

97 Forester

Post by mortaygo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:07 pm

AndrewT wrote:If you bought a strut lift kit then I'm guessing you just get the lift components for the struts only. What car do you have? If it's a Liberty then it's common for people to just do this strut lift only.
A full body lift kit comes with heaps of other parts to go between all body crossmembers.
Kinda like this;
http://www.funonwheels.net/hirisesubaru ... iftkit.jpg

Yes it does throw some things out but not too badly, Subaru's with lift kits are incredibly common - if your mechanic won't do it then find somebody else or do it yourself.
I have a 97 Forester. I am getting a few mixed reports on the kit I have.. some say, a strut lift is ok at 2".. others are saying don't do it...

Joe

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:43 pm

Joe... im speaking on personal experience here. 2 or 3 weeks ago i just fitted a 2 inch (strut only) lift kit into my 01 Forester (these have basically the same running gear as your car).

I would check if the people saying "don't do it" actually really have experience with this exact lift in that exact model car. It wont put anything out... infact we found that if the offset on the strut lift is correct your wheel alignment wont even be effected. This WAS proven before people start to argue with me.

The only reason they say "don't do it" is usually due to CV angles. Check your current CV angle... u will find there is none... they are pretty much straight. 2 inches of height does jack all to this angle.

Mate im telling u i think you should fit it... you wont look back. By doing a strut only lift u will basically drop your strut down gaining you clearance on the cars body and the running gear. A full lift kit only raises the body not the running gear, costs more money and takes much longer to fit.

My opinion and personal experience is... if you got a forester and u only want 2 inches of lift with standard height or heavy duty(not raised) springs then strut top lift is perfect.

Again i am speaking from experience and what i have done and it only relates to the 97-01 Foresters that this applies to... i can't speak for any other models.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:21 pm

You are spot on there. It's all about CV angles

Personally I like my shafts to last, so I run a full 2" kit. Going the other way your shafts might not last as long, but you get better ground clearance
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

libertarian

Post by libertarian » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:51 pm

i am waiting for the reply about the lift kit but in my 95 lib wagon do you guys reccomend using forester struts with the forester wheels?If the struts are similar to the Lib's just taller this would help a lot.then i suppose you use a 2"forester lift kit??

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:07 pm

Yes if you have Forester wheels then it's best to get Forester struts if the wheels won't fit under your Lib struts. For the tallest struts get Outback ones, then you can fit even bigger tyres - 29" is the max in this case.
If you need a lift kit then just get one - read up to decide on if u think you need strut-top only lift or a full kit tho.

ian059

Post by ian059 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:16 pm

I had a 50mm strut lift on my '97 Forester with no problems at all and I will be putting them on my '02 MY03 Forester as soon as I can. I use them to give me more ground clearance under the vehicle because they lift the body AND the motor, gearbox and diff. Because I have no desire to have taller than standard tyres, I see no need for the body lift. If you want to go down the bigger wheel/tyre track then get the body lift as well.

I already have raised King springs but it is not enough. This will be the first time I have combine the strut lift with the raised springs but I'm sure it will be ok as well.

Go the strut lift!

I'll bet none of those people bagging it have ever owned or even driven a Subaru with a lift kit of any sort!

IanC

Sorry! I didn't see the second page before I replied. I'm with you Subarino!!

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Body lift wouldn't make any difference to what size tyres/wheels you can fit. The strut top lift is what affects this. If you have a strut-top only lift then you have already got your wheel clearance sorted.

ian059

Post by ian059 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:48 pm

AndrewT wrote:Body lift wouldn't make any difference to what size tyres/wheels you can fit. The strut top lift is what affects this. If you have a strut-top only lift then you have already got your wheel clearance sorted.
Ok? Now I'm confused. Your "Monster Wagon" has 29" tyres but no mention of a strut lift.

I have no personal experience with body lifts so I'll bow to your knowledge. I was sure I had read that the reason for body lift was to get more room for bigger tyres.

Told you I was blind :mrgreen:

IanC

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:07 pm

To fit bigger tyres you mostly need more room in the guards. Strut top extenders do this, and you get these both with a strut-top only lift and a full body lift.
My wagon shouldn't really be included in discussions about typical lift kits (especially one about Liberty's), but it just has a basic full body lift. You can get away with 29" tyres in an L series with only 3" kit but there are alot of scrubbing issues to resolve, I had a pretty minimal problem with this. It's easier to fit that size tyre on a Liberty as the guards are alot roomier from the start.
The 6" lift I mention in my signature is from a full body lift kit including the strut tops. Technically overall my wagon would have about 8 or 9 inches of lift if you count the Outback struts and Kings springs + the extra lift I get from the 29" tyres over the ones you get with a stock L series.

ian059

Post by ian059 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 pm

Got it!
Thanks.

Perhaps you can advise me on the 50mm strut lift on my Forrie.
As I mentioned, I have raised Kings all round. What will be the effect?

Will it be the same as a 3 inch lift or will the springs just compress more, making the ride harder?

IanC

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”