Longer rear shocks for L-series

subalex

Longer rear shocks for L-series

Post by subalex » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Ok, it's more the front shocks that are 'shocking' on L-series... that awful bobbing up and down - even with perfectly good new shocks is something I'd like to replace with coil-overs in the future but until then, this is something of interest to me too:

I've seen a website a while ago that listed a Rancho shock as a replacement for a REAR L-series shock to provide around 3" lift. If this was an Rancho 9000 adjustable type then we could set it on a soft setting for around town and crank it up a few notches when loaded up... and still get the benefits of longer wheel travel AND no lift kit in the rear to worry anyone. Directly bolting a longer shock to the body interests me. Obviously, this would be easier on the rear of an MY-series where they have a torsion bar setup and not a coil-over so doing this on and L-series would entail fitting a spring base onto the shock body and a longer spring to suit. Implications for wheel travel is good, for CV's maybe not so good but who's worn out a rear CV (DOJ really) anyway?

Anyone know about this modification?
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

Return to “Suspension - shocks, springs and upgrades”