Older car interiors

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
tambox

Post by tambox » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm

From Sun Smart
Can I get sunburnt in my car?
Cars generally provide good protection but you can still get sunburnt when in the car for a long time. Wearing sunscreen in the car is the best way to prevent sunburn. Babies and toddlers can be protected with a window shade visor. Driving sleeves can be purchased from the Cancer Council shop. Clear or tinted films added to side windows can reduce the amount of UV entering the car. Cancer Council Australia's position statement on window tinting provides more information to guide decision-making about using window tinting for sun protection.
So, sunblock all the car interior:D
L serious, still.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 am

tex wrote:I thought the left and right door handle surrounds were interchangeable I am almost certain on my old brumby I swapped them over so the crusty side was on the bottom crisis averted!
Left and Rights are different. Fronts and rear's from the same side are the same. The difference is the cutout where the chrome handle rests. If you put it on the other side it will be in the wrong spot and the handle won't go back all the way.
Gannon wrote:As for UV rays, I thought that glass absorbed the damaging UV from sunlight?
Never heard of tempered glass having any UV resistance but certainly tinted glass yes
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:09 am

as for UV rays - seen it described as UV-A will age your skin, UV-B will burn your skin , think normal glass cuts out UV-B. Was on a show using lorry drivers to see or show the ageing of skin on sides exposed to window side compared to shaded side of face

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 am

www.physlink.com/Why can you not get sunburned behind a glass?

I'm sure I've read it on wikipedia but cant find it.

Tinted glass does more for reflecting infra red (heat) that it does for UV
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

tambox

Post by tambox » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:10 pm

Car glass does ruduce UV, the amount it reduces it depends on the glass.
Windscreens can block a lot more than side windows.
It has different reduction rates for UVA vs UVB.
GOOD QUALITY metal based (for reflecting heat) window tint will reduce it futher as it has some UV filtering in the film.

Everybody is correct, they both reduce UV, windows do the most (80+%) and tint brings it up to about 98%. If you have both you will get minimum UV, which is the idea of window tint.

This will help preserve the interior of the car and the people in it.
L serious, still.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:14 am

I went back to this topic as my MY's interior is now fading and will only get worse.
The plastic is starting to get that powdery look and feel and stuff like Armor all does seem to last and stay greasy.
As mentioned within these posts Linseed oil is recommended.
The main point appears to be that Boiled Linseed oil NOT raw Linseed oil is needed.
From comments on the net this needs to be mixed with thinners to a ratio of 50/50 or 40/60 (opinions seem to differ).
I headed off to the hardware store this morning and found a bottle of Boiled Linseed for $13.00 and I have started putting it on to selected interior part of the car.
Not using the thinners part as of yet as I will see how basic Linseed goes.
I have also applied it to one tire, mud flap and external trim pieces on the LH rear to see how Linseed goes externally. Again, the Boiled Linseed is getting rave reviews on the net.
I need to do this now as I have already lost the dash pad over the last few years with a big crack. I have always had a dash mat on but with heat and age it cracked and I didn't even notice.
See how this goes.
P.S. like many other around the world, I am getting fogging up on the inside of the windscreen even though I have just cleaned it. Will try the Linseed on the dash pad at some stage to see if this seal the plastic from breaking down and giving off the residue to the windscreen or if the Linseed makes this issue worse.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:34 pm

Don't know how visual this will be to everyone but the following pic shows the rear panel in the MY where the side pocket is for the wheel brace/tool etc.
In the pic I have tried to show the part of the pocket cover and the hinged panel below where I have used a 50/50 mix of grease/wax remover and Boiled Linseed oil.
I applied the mixture to the left hand side (in the pic) of the panel and below only with the rest of the panel left bare and clean.
I did this a couple of weeks prior to the pic taken.
I am impressed with the Linseed oil and how it doesn't go all greasy like other trim protectors do but seems to leave a film on the trim all the same.
Yesterday, I applied the 50/50 mix to all of the dash, the drivers door interior trim, the rear cargo area including all of the pictured panel and the drivers side exterior (black) side guards bump strips and mud flaps.
On the web I see the mix is stated as being Boiled Linseed oil and thinners.
I am not up to using thinners as of yet as I need to research this more to determine if the thinners being spoken about (overseas) are the same as thinners we use in Aus.
The only side effect of the Linseed is the unusual smell. It isn't good or bad, it is just different.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:48 pm

pic ?

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:31 pm

Pic = Picture.

Sorry, being lazy with my typing.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:08 pm

Cliff R wrote:Pic = Picture.

Sorry, being lazy with my typing.
He meant "where is the pic?" no linky in the post :rolleyes:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:10 pm

Sorry for the late reply, we have been away for a few days while I am on holidays.

Not sure about why the photo didn't come out, I can see it OK in my post, but I am trying to post it again.
If it still isn't coming up for viewing let me know.
Here tis.

Return to “Open Slather”