How-to: L series 1.5 low range into Forester box

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
PeeJay

How-to: L series 1.5 low range into Forester box

Post by PeeJay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:44 pm

This assumes you are using the newer model (2000+?) d/r 8 bolt 4.11 Forester gearbox

Step 1 - Dismantle
Split both boxes, remove all low range components from both and set them aside. (separately!)

Step 2 - Input shaft
Remove everything from both input shafts, including the bearings. I was able to gently hammer the bearing off the L series shaft using a vice as a backing plate, but I didn't try the Forester shaft as I bought a new bearing - 63/28 fully sealed.
To fit the new bearing onto the L series input shaft you need to make up a sleeve, 24.95 id x 28.05 od x 18 - tight enough to gently tap on with a hammer. Fit the bearing on top of this.

When putting the circlip back on I didn't bother with all the fancy spacers that used to be on there - they don't fit now anyway (especially since I accidentally made my sleeve 19.5 long). All I used was the hollow washer and a circlip as pictured. The washer was too long so I had to machine a bit off the end to make it fit. Then just fit the shaft back into the Forester housing.

Step 3 - Syncro cone
The splined section on the main shaft of the forester box is shorter, so you will need to use a lathe to remove some of the splines inside the syncro cone (from the longer side) to get it to fit into position. From memory it was 4.3 mm.

Now you can fit all the L series gear to the end of the main shaft as it should all now fit. Mine seems to have about 0.2mm of play after fitting the circlip, but I don't think it's enough to fuss over.

Step 4 - Syncro sleeve
Because the syncro on the L series is bigger than the one on the Forester it will rub on the ring gear of the front diff. To overcome this remove 1.6 mm from the outside of the syncro sleeve.

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:45 pm

Step 5 - Selector fork
Take the shaft from the Forester selector fork and put it into the L series fork.

Step 6 - Detent
Another problem caused by the bigger syncro is the rib with the detent ball being too high. The selector fork rubs on it. To fix, take about 3 mm off it. A vertical mill would be ideal, I used a dremmel, but even an angle grinder would be ok if you are careful.

You will notice that the L series fork has no indents for the detent ball - we need to make some. With a welder, build up the area where the indents need to go, using the Forester fork as a guide, and smooth it all out.

Now dummy assemble everything with the input shaft. When it is all seated correctly turn the selector fork back and forward a few times to simulate selecting low/high range. This will mark a pattern on the bottom of the selector fork and show you were to drill the holes for the detent. Using a 5mm drill, drill a small indent at both ends of the mark. Refit and test the action. Keep making the holes deeper until you are satisfied.

Step 7 - Low range reduction gear
Swap the low range gear, shaft and all, from the L series into the Forester.

Step 8 - Output stubs
As this gearbox is going into my L series I want output stubs. As it turns out, you can swap them straight over. You will also need to swap the oil seals as well.

If you have something resembling this:
you are finished!

I haven't put it back into the car and driven with it yet so I'm hoping I haven't missed anything. When I was bolting the case back together today somehow the shaft that drives the diff has jammed up, I think I may have just overtighened one of the bearing bolts but it was time to call it a day so I'll find out what it was in the next few days.

bluesteel

Post by bluesteel » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:41 pm

excellent work there peejay

nice to see someone taking the time and effort to do a write up on these boxes, ive had enough of them apart now, but still havent got around to it.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:58 pm

You're putting a forrester box in an L... this is what i want to do - along with running standard forrester wheel diametre...

Thanks heaps for the write up, good effort there!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

chriSTIan

Post by chriSTIan » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:39 pm

Hi peejay
Great work on the upgrades and great pix.
Can you tell me if the same mods have to be made to the early liberty d/r boxes?Gen1
Will any L d/r box bits fit??
I want to have a descent low range for my off road liberty
Chris

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:53 am

I'm not sure about the Lib boxes, I've never seen one.

I *think* any L series box should work, just make sure it's not a turbo one with the 1.1:1 low range.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:42 pm

PeeJay wrote:I'm not sure about the Lib boxes, I've never seen one.

I *think* any L series box should work, just make sure it's not a turbo one with the 1.1:1 low range.
That sounds right to me with the info i've gathered through other convo's.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

EJ22Ute

Post by EJ22Ute » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 pm

Christian,
this from previous topic " 1.59 low into 25 spline d/r awd "

finally have box in ute with 1.59 low range.
had to get some trimmed off length of bore in fork arm and diameter of synchro carrier.also trimmed the indent mound inside of box and fork arm to clear.
did not risk welding mound onto fork arm to enable indents for positive location.made an external bracket with bolt in long nut to hold spring and ball into indents on small plate welded on cable arm with good results.
very happy with difference to low ratio.looking forward to getting out this winter .
thanks again to Chris for donating the L gearbox

i also trimmed the ej low range lever where the cam profile end stops , this in combo with the indent bracket mod has eliminated occasional jump out of low with grinding of synchro.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:09 am

So there is no interference with the L series low range and the 4.11 crown wheel?
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:36 pm

Nope, only the syncro sleeve, but that can be overcome. I just got the box bolted together (properly this time) and I can't hear/feel any rubbing at all. I did machine some more off the syncro sleeve because I think it may have still been a little too big, but my binding problem was caused by one of the bearings not being seated correctly.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:44 pm

I'm looking at using a 4.11 in a Liberty D/R box with the L series 1.59 low and a tighter/better centre LSD for my next project. Jack told me the 4.44 in his outback box needed the crown wheel machined to fit with the scorpion 1.58 low range, so I guess 4.44 is a little much to ask for.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

mattl200

Post by mattl200 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:08 pm

chriSTIan wrote:Hi peejay
Great work on the upgrades and great pix.
Can you tell me if the same mods have to be made to the early liberty d/r boxes?Gen1
Will any L d/r box bits fit??
I want to have a descent low range for my off road liberty
Chris
yes this mod works with early liberty boxes but u dont need to change the bearing on the input shaft because the housing is the same

and i didnt have to lathe any from the syncro ring with the 3.7 diff
- 92 brumby, ej22, MT5AWD, lseries low range, centre diff lock, glf5 dash, 5 stud conversion
lifted 3" front 2" rear all rolling round on 27" khumo Kl71's
more in progress ie:adaptronic ecu and sc14 supercharger

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:05 am

Update:

It's in the car and it works great! 1000 RPM in 1st low range is a whopping 5 km/h (walking speed) and 3000 RPM in 5th low range is about 70km/h. And finally my speedo is spot on!

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:16 am

kickass mate. well done
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Return to “Tech Manual”