Loosing power on cold mornings.

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
lowace

Loosing power on cold mornings.

Post by lowace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:53 am

A strange thing is happening with my 92 l series I just bought. On my travels to work this week it has been loosing power and running quiet rough at about the halfway mark home. I travel 30km each way and this is only occurring on the way home after night shift when the temp is about 1 deg at a guess (there's frost on the ground). On the way it runs brilliant. My initial thoughts where maybe the carb is icing up. It does also seem a bit heavy on fuel to.
Any help would be great.

tambox

Post by tambox » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm

Thats a hard one to diagnose on the spot.
Could be anything.
YOU need to check for signs of anything wrong.
Check, has it been serviced?? if so then leads, Vac plumbing, add some metho to the fuel, plugs, sounds different?????????????????
Running rough??, what on one cylinder??
At idle or when driving???
Cars are fun.
Properly serviced, they are much easier.
L serious, still.

lowace

Post by lowace » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:00 pm

It runs really rough and stuggles to pull its own weight when this happens. When I get back to town in the 60 zone it eventually clears itself. It has been fully serviced with new plugs leads ect but it does loo like someone has been playing with the mixture screw. Might be worth trying another carb on it,

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:00 am

part of it sounds like an internally rusting, clogging fuel line - normally reserved for Brumbies. Happens in the colder time of day, just when you don't want to be fiddling, tired and wanna get home from a night shift

lowace

Post by lowace » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:08 pm

Yeah ok Steptoe I have never heard of that before but your right about not being bothered with it after night shift. I did pull over this morning when it was doing its thing and take the top of the air cleaner I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary but it was idling like a busted arse and pinging at idle, when I put my foot flat it was very sluggish and running very rich but after 10 seconds it cleared and ran beautiful through town. It seems to start happening when I am in the 100 zone and when I'm nearing town after say 20kms that's when it happens.
Its got me baffled I've had a lot of cars over the years with lots of problems but nothing like this.

lowace

Post by lowace » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:09 pm

Yeah ok Steptoe I have never heard of that before but your right about not being bothered with it after night shift. I did pull over this morning when it was doing its thing and take the top of the air cleaner I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary but it was idling like a busted arse and pinging at idle, when I put my foot flat it was very sluggish and running very rich but after 10 seconds it cleared and ran beautiful through town. It seems to start happening when I am in the 100 zone and when I'm nearing town after say 20kms that's when it happens.
Its got me baffled I've had a lot of cars over the years with lots of problems but nothing like this.

Return to “Tech Manual”