Brumby Suspension Differences?

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
zookcruzr

Brumby Suspension Differences?

Post by zookcruzr » Tue May 06, 2014 10:25 am

I'm not sure if this is the right section so please move if it is not.
I have searched the forums and cannot find a distinct answer.

I have a 90 Brumby and my fatherinlaw has an 86.

One thing he has noticed is that his rides alot harder than my 90 and others he has driven.

He was wondering if the Brumbys came out with different suspension set ups? especially in the rear.

Additionally, I have noticed alot of people referring to some Brumbys as 'MY'. I was under the impression that MY stood for Made Year and was a generic term for all cars and is something that Subaru specifically introduced. Is it a specific series of Brumby?
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Tue May 06, 2014 12:32 pm

I'm not aware of any factory differences in spring/torsion bar rates throughout the gen 2 Brumby's but there are 2 possible reasons
why yours and his may feel different.

Main one would be that the adjustment bolts in the centre of torque tubes might be set at differing amounts.

Second could be that either of them might have had a wagons rear end put in (after an accident etc) which don't have as thick a torsion bar as the utes and so would feel softer.

Not 100% sure where 'MY' (model/year as far as I knew it to be) came from, as it isn't stamped anywhere on the chassis and
does not appear in any literature when ordering from parts suppliers!! None the less, it is the colloquial term used here in OZ
for any vehicle factory fitted with the venerable EA81 donk, i.e. 82-84 Leone coupes, sedans and sportswagons and Brumbys up to 92.

Cheers, John

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Yes there could be a number of reasons why they feel different. I would suspect that the condition of the shock absorber and rubber bushes conditions would be the main reasons for this.

MY stands for Model/Year in the later EJ model range. In the case of the early 1979 to 1984 wagon, sedan, coupe and hatch, this was called the MY1800 on the service manual. The ute was called MV1800 as these ran a different floor stiffening. Most people just call the ute version MY just because they used all of the same mechanicals and some body panels as the MY series.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 06, 2014 2:33 pm

My books just call the ute MV. Our UK based members had them marketed as MV1800 , so that is why they call them that first, then BRAT for US market, then Brumby for ours, then the GEN1, 2, 3 thing kicks in. GEN3 is on Bantums drawing board :)

Anyone got a pic of an MY sedan or wagon handbook to add?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue May 06, 2014 2:36 pm

zookcruzr wrote:never use big words when diminutive ones would suffice
:)

zookcruzr

Post by zookcruzr » Tue May 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

In relation to the MY thing, I put this question to a few people that I know who own Brumbys and they hadn't heard of them being referred to this, hence the question here.

Now to the suspension question. My father-in-law has changed bushes and shockies in an attempt to soften the ride. I will check out the bolt suggested by Proton Mouse as I will have an opportunity to have both on hoists side by side this weekend.

Finding this forum may have been a very bad thing for me and my wallet lol. I am in the middle of house renovations, hence the long awaited purchase of a Brumby (had a legitimate reason/excuse for the missus lol), so money isn't the most abundant thing ;)
Never use big words where diminutive ones would suffice.

liteon

Post by liteon » Wed May 14, 2014 4:35 pm

zookcruzr wrote: I am in the middle of house renovations, hence the long awaited purchase of a Brumby (had a legitimate reason/excuse for the missus lol), so money isn't the most abundant thing ;)
Ditto, I used the same excuse on my missus! Picked up the brumby the same day we picked up the house keys. Great minds think alike!

Sorry to hijack this thread but while we are discussing wagon vs ute suspension differences, does anybody know the difference between wagon and brumby rear shocks? Are they interchangeable?

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Wed May 14, 2014 4:52 pm

liteon wrote:Sorry to hijack this thread but while we are discussing wagon vs ute suspension differences, does anybody know the difference between wagon and brumby rear shocks? Are they interchangeable?
If you are talking MY series wagons then they are the same as and interchangeable with the Brumby shocks.
If you want a beefier shock you can use the front shocks from an FJ45 Landbruiser, but you do have to fiddlefart
with bushes a bit.

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Proton mouse wrote:I'm not aware of any factory differences in spring/torsion bar rates throughout the gen 2 Brumby's but there are 2 possible reasons
why yours and his may feel different.

Main one would be that the adjustment bolts in the centre of torque tubes might be set at differing amounts.

Second could be that either of them might have had a wagons rear end put in (after an accident etc) which don't have as thick a torsion bar as the utes and so would feel softer.

Not 100% sure where 'MY' (model/year as far as I knew it to be) came from, as it isn't stamped anywhere on the chassis and
does not appear in any literature when ordering from parts suppliers!! None the less, it is the colloquial term used here in OZ
for any vehicle factory fitted with the venerable EA81 donk, i.e. 82-84 Leone coupes, sedans and sportswagons and Brumbys up to 92.

Cheers, John
Just found this old post.
Just to clarify, from this post I am reading the Brumby had a heavier rear torsion bar than the Wagon.
Is this correct ?
If so, anyone have any specs on both bars ?
Is there any advantage in fitting a Brumby torsion bar to the rear of a Wagon to give a heavier spring rate ?

Proton mouse

Post by Proton mouse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 am

Cliff R wrote:Just found this old post.
Just to clarify, from this post I am reading the Brumby had a heavier rear torsion bar than the Wagon.
Is this correct ?
If so, anyone have any specs on both bars ?
Is there any advantage in fitting a Brumby torsion bar to the rear of a Wagon to give a heavier spring rate ?
I just found this newer post on an older post that I hadn't answered!! For some reason I don't think I got a notification?? Anyhow....
Yes the Brumby had a heavier rated torsion bar for load carrying ability, but as for the exact specs/rating I am unaware. The part numbers of the different 'MY' T'bars are....(with thanks to FROG from another post)
721021140 rh brumby
721021150 lh brumby

721021160 hatchy and sedans rh
721021170 hatchy and sedans lh

721021060 rh wagon
721021070 lh wagon
I guess the advantage of fitting one to a wagon would be a slightly firmer ride and/or higher load carrying capacity

Cheers JB

Return to “Tech Manual”