Heater-in Subaru L series carby engine? NEED HELP

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
JBNielsen

Heater-in Subaru L series carby engine? NEED HELP

Post by JBNielsen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:55 am

Currently I am missing the hose heater in for my L series. Pretty much means that there is always a bit of a petrol smell coming from the engine.

Been I have been recommended to just get a flexible hose that, however, i just found this on Ebay. It says its a genuine subaru part. Was wondering if someone can tell me weather its better than a flex hose.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/160619005860

Is it the right part?

Cheers

Jez

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:19 am

We need more information

The hose you linked to is one of the 2 hoses that carry coolant to the heater core under the dash for the cabin heater. Has nothing to do with petrol

Can you take a photo and show us the hose that is missing.

You say heater hose, are you talking about the flexible aluminum hose that takes hot air from the exhaust pipe and supplies it to the air cleaner?
Not really necessary in Australia and wont make a petrol smell

A missing hose that could cause a petrol smell is one of the PCV hoses that take crankcase gases from the valve covers and redirect them back into the intake via the PVC valve.
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Point

Post by Point » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:52 am

I'm guessing that the smell comes from not having plugged up the hole where the hose goes through.

I would be concerned that the heater core has a leak if it has been bypassed.
90 Brumby - Stalled EJ project
98 Forester GX
02 Forester XS Luxury

JBNielsen

Post by JBNielsen » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:45 am

No not the heater core.

Sorry I'm shit with cars.

Gannon,

Yes it is the hose that takes hot air from the exhaust. Mark at Suba-Mods here in melbourne said its worth putting on. Ive looked at other EA82 engines and they have it.

Would take a photo but the car is in Clayton at the moment getting new cv boots.

Will let you know how I go.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:09 pm

You can buy the accordion-like flexible aluminium hose from pretty much any car parts joint. I don't have it on my car and it makes no difference (it never gets cold enough here) also just one more thing to fiddle around with when taking the air cleaner off.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:08 pm

the pre heat hose is priced like your car ability, and is a fail if it is missing in an inspection of roadworthiness or compliance.

The fuel smell could be a number of things, but not PCV, rather the charcoal cannister that gets fumes from the fuel tank and carby ? and can be found along with fuel supply line, wending its way along the inlet manifold and popping out near the black unit front drivers side corner under the bonnet. It uses vacuum valving to vent its smelly fumes off into the intake manifold in certain circumstances. If you fill tank beyond first click, sometimes this can drown the canister and the chamber hidden behind panels in the back just beside. behind the filler pipe and fuel cap door.

Esubie

Post by Esubie » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 pm

As mentioned , you are refering to the preheat pipe. The link is for the heater that warms the inside of the car. Not what you need. Big thanks to the investigation questions above cos I would have said "yeah, it's a heater hose".

The preheat makes little difference and is not needed where you live. If you need it for rego I guess you should have it on there. Should be easily available and simple to install.
1985 L Wagon DL. Carb. EA82. Stock.

Return to “Tech Manual”