fuel pump issue on my carbed 86 leone

AUSubaru Technical Manual. Collaborative Tech Manual for ALL Subarus.
oldmate

fuel pump issue on my carbed 86 leone

Post by oldmate » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi guys, im having an issue with the fuel pump issue on my carbed 86 leone Ea82. The pump isn't powering and there is no voltage getting to the unit. Accoding to the manual, the 86's have an elctromagnic plunger pump getting signals from a engine revolution sensor. Know one ive talked to at subaru has heard of these engine revolution sensors, or ive been told that only the Fuel Injection systems have this sensor. Ive also been told it my be a relay? And im equally confused about where this relay might be as knowone seems to know this either. Any ideas?

The other thing is that i'm having this issue after replacing the ignition coil and timing belt. The engine runs when i prime the carb, but wont pump. I also wasn't 100% sure i correctly reassembled the ignition coil.. Could a misplaced wire be cause the fuel pump issues at that end?

Any advise would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Ben

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:23 pm

The engine rev sensor is located behind the drivers side kick panel, a black rectangular box a bit bigger than a box of ciggies. It should activate the fuel pump relay (mounted up above the fuse box with a green plug) for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key to on. Once you crank the engine it will pick up pulses from the neg side of coil through a yellow wire and stay activated.
Can you hear a relay click on then off again when you turn the key to on?
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

oldmate

Post by oldmate » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks mate, think you may have just solved my problem. Ive been overlooking that yellow wire all along thinking it only powered the rev gauge! Will attack that again tomorrow. Cheers

oldmate

Post by oldmate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:55 pm

So i reconnected that yellow wire and still not getting any pump from the fuel. When i first turn the key i get that initial pump of fuel and then nothing. Still getting a spark though and engine fires when primed into the carb.

There is still a red wire that i havn't worked out where to place on the ignition coil.. could this be the issue? And if so, does it go on the positive or the negative? The racq guy wired the coil for me and he wasent sure what that wire was for or where it went.

oldmate

Post by oldmate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:58 pm

Not sure if im hearing the relay or not

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Look for the black box. Tell me what wires you find? or even better take a photo
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

oldmate

Post by oldmate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:37 pm

Wait.. I take that back. There was another yellow wire that needed fitting!!! Back in business

oldmate

Post by oldmate » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Cheers for the hand mate, you put an end to days of confusion..

GLfoos86

Post by GLfoos86 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 am

ea82 engine install. vacuum diags still confusing. no confidence in progress. extremely rough idle and cherry cat led us to new coil and plug wires(new spark plugs installed earlier). next day, rough idle but cooler catalytic converter. now from cranking(?) oil dripping from? any help would b beneficial.

Return to “Tech Manual”