GPS Recommendations?

How to get from A to B & devices used ...
L-Raiser

GPS Recommendations?

Post by L-Raiser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:00 pm

Hey guys n gals.....I thought it would be great if we started a THREAD on GPS SYSTEMS.... To help those of us who could benefit bigtime from your 'in-the-field', 'tried n true' combinations/models etc etc ....that have worked for you.... :p
[list]
[*]What GPS setup are you currently using for Offroad Navigation....?[/list]
  • Can you perform 'Trip plotting' (Waypoint markers to record your movements)...?
  • Can you save these 'Journeys' for future reference...?
  • What display system do you have....? (Handheld, In-dash TV, plugin Laptop PC etc)
  • What Make / Model is it.....?
  • Would you recommend it to another Offroader.....?

[list]
[*]Roughly how much did it COST.....?[/list][/color]
Any and all feedback is most welcome as there doesnt seem to be a gratuitous amount of information out there in regards to Offroad Specific GPS applications.....

L-Raiser :rolleyes:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

timmo

Post by timmo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:06 pm

I have a Garmin Etrex Vista cx from work. Its a handheld, robust case i think it might be water resistant. Has maps & contours stored on a microSD card. Its good for what I use it for at work usually on foot - colour screen easy to read. Can do tracks and waypoints easily. Probably not the best option for strictly in car use.
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:15 pm

I saw one setup once in a HI-FI (Audio Visual) shop once that looked the goods....but wasnt cheap! It incorporated an in-dash TV/Stereo/MP3 player that was connected to a SAT-NAV device which was hidden inside the dash. You could download various overlay maps for either Country or Metro areas and your enter Waypoints, save Trips, enter Notes etc....had a Touch Interactive Screen, which all retracted to look like a plain ol car stereo when turned off.....Looked awesome... but the componants and install would cost a total of $2,200 bucks!!! YIKES! :???:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lapsed

Post by Lapsed » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:32 pm

I've put this on order and pick it up in a few days. https://www.nextdestination.com.au/Page ... ductId=244
Its a gps for on road as well as offroad and marine. But costs a bit - $1300.

chris

SUBARU OFF-ROAD RECOVERY VEHICLE

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 pm

NOOOO LAPSED NOOOOO

I have tested out this unit at work... i don't want to upset you so im not going to go into it. May pain you to know that if you had of asked me i could have saved you a few hundred on it.

That is the unit i was telling you about the other day Karren.

Karren if you stick with a Magellan unit then i have the 4wd software i will give you for nothing... you will save a few hundred there. There is a few units i would recomend depending on how much money you have to spend.

The Magellan Explorist series and the series before that, which i am currently running, the Magellan Meridian series. Both do everything you want. Difference being price and the newer ones are able to make more exact route points when wanting to re-do a saved trip.

I really should give you a demo of my one... does some really cool stuff and perfect for offroading. I have maps saved of almost all my trips that i have transfered to Laptop. On the laptop i can modify them and even print out the map.

I am still considering selling mine for only a few hundred with all the software included and dash mounts and things if that sparks your interest at all.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

BlackMale
General Member

Post by BlackMale » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:10 pm

Dito Dave however i am not selling mine... start hijack DAVE what you mean your selling yours!?!?!?
Toyota 105 Series LandCruiser (that nobody on here wants to really hear about).
RX Touring Wagon - fitted out for 4WDing (currently collecting dust).
RX Project - will be road only at this stage (and currently taking way to long to finish).

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:13 pm

If i sell mine it will simply be for the newer model of a similar unit (same brand).

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:31 pm

* What GPS setup are you currently using for Offroad Navigation....? Onroad / Offroad is a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx, no external aerial, but suction-cup mount on windscreen and 12V power adapter to save on batteries when ignition on. I have Australian City Navigator routing software installed for on-road use. Also have used Metroguide (non-routing ) and have some topo maps somewhere, not used yet. You can load thousands of points of interest too and all are searchable by name, database and nearest.

* Can you perform 'Trip plotting' (Waypoint markers to record your movements)...? Yes, up to 10,000 track points and 1000 user waypoints.

* Can you save these 'Journeys' for future reference...?
Heck yes. Using Garmin Mapsource program. I have several data files keeping all my tracks, waypoints etc. There are a few other softwares that will do the same. Tracks also stores as gpx format on data card.

* What display system do you have....?
(Handheld, In-dash TV, plugin Laptop PC etc) It is a large format handheld. I can plug into laptop if required, but not done that as yet.

* What Make / Model is it.....? Garmin GPSMAP 76Csx (actually comes out of Garmin's marine unit line so it floats!) link: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=351

* Would you recommend it to another Offroader.....? Absolutely. It has a quad-helix antenna built in which is much better in poor satellite conditions (under canopy/trees /buildings, canyons etc.) than many other units, it's also great for working out of the vehicle where some onroad-dedicated GPS units fall down. It has a good battery life and main housing is waterproof and floats. Can track and view altitude changes as well.

* Roughly how much did it COST.....? AU$500 bought off internet from US (so has US basemaps in it) Was around AU$800+ here at same time (April 2007).

* Limitations: really would like facility to have more than 1000 waypoints, rubber seal on power adapter cover needs to be more durable. Alarm tones could be louder / adjustable volume
SUBYDAZZ

L-Raiser

Post by L-Raiser » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:34 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote: That is the unit i was telling you about the other day Karren.

Karren if you stick with a Magellan unit then i have the 4wd software i will give you for nothing... you will save a few hundred there. There is a few units i would recomend depending on how much money you have to spend.

The Magellan Explorist series and the series before that, which i am currently running, the Magellan Meridian series. Both do everything you want. Difference being price and the newer ones are able to make more exact route points when wanting to re-do a saved trip.

I really should give you a demo of my one... does some really cool stuff and perfect for offroading. I have maps saved of almost all my trips that i have transfered to Laptop. On the laptop i can modify them and even print out the map.

I am still considering selling mine for only a few hundred with all the software included and dash mounts and things if that sparks your interest at all.

Dave
Hey Dave, thanks for the feedback.... :)

Your system certainly does sound good.... I would LOVE to see a demo...we should arrange a time to do this....let me know what time suits you. I have the next three weeks off, so Im free. And I would be keen to buy this sytem off you if it does the things I need it for. I wont be able to buy it just yet though...gotta sell some parts off the L & Forester to get some cash flow back.....

Karen
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:17 am

One other thing I should note when using GPS with inbuilt/software supplied maps is that you really find which tracks, roads and features in the map software exist in real life, and which don't. Also which aren't where they say they are. This can be a problem, but like the disclaimers say, the products are only a *guide*. :)
SUBYDAZZ

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:59 pm

we have a binatone X430....great little unit
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Fang

Post by Fang » Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:11 pm

I have a Mitac Mio P350 running TomTom software. It's pretty good - and runs Windows Mobile 5.0. Have loaded on Ozexplorer but yet to have a fiddle.

My only complaint is that it can take a few minutes to pick up satellites when first turned on.

Mine is just a suction cup affair and sits above the top right of the cluster surround. I have the power running from the cigarette lighter.

It was fairly cheap at the time - about $350 just over a year ago. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Fang

Post by Fang » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:27 am

Damn it Bill - this post is older than dirt :p I should have checked myself I spose ;)

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:44 am

yeah but so am i...lol
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Return to “Navigation”