GPS Map detail?

How to get from A to B & devices used ...
Ben

GPS Map detail?

Post by Ben » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:45 am

Saw one of those cheapy AWA GPS's, it says on the box it runs Whereis 2007 maps.

When I go onto the Whereis website and look at the maps there it gives details down to and including all the firetrails etc in the state forests around here.

Does that mean the GPS would also show that level of detail?

I want one, but I don't want one that won't get me up a track...

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:37 am

So no one here uses incar GPS Nav systems?

Matatak

Post by Matatak » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:46 am

i dont have one but have considered one a few tiems..
just never had enough use for one yet always look in the road map before i go somewhere i dont no lol..
neway the ones i have seen in peoples cars i wuldnt really think show enough details for firetrails and the national parks tracks etc.

however once when we were at the pines someone was supposibly looking at a GPS trying to direct us aorund but wasnt exactly working to well so i dont no fi it was only showing a few of the tracks or it was just "user error".

neway probly not much help to u but i wudl of thught they shuld show the same as wts on the Whereis websites..ahwell
Wagon is no longer....:(

The Subaru Wacky Workshop
-All About the WA Boys :D

PeeJay

Post by PeeJay » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:42 am

Best I've got is my laptop and oziexplorer

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:01 am

Ben wrote:So no one here uses incar GPS Nav systems?

Yeah. Don't get a navman if you want to go on dirt/off road. It has no idea and keeps telling you to go to the nearest road. I'm on the road now you useless thing !! My hema paper map tells me so. :-x

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:57 am

laptop / pda + oziexplorer

http://www.gpsaustralia.net
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:11 am

I use a tomtom oneXL for work every day, it has more funtions than I would use most of the time , it is very quick to re-calculate the route if you should think you know better and go a slightly different way, one of the great things is being able to retrace your route back out of an area as there is sometimes only one entrence to an area and you could get lost just trying to find your way back through the streets you have come allong to get to the destination.
In my oppinion 9/10 for the TomTom One XL.

Mike.
ImageImage

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:24 am

I think the pda's are the best way to go if you want a portable gps, you can have many diferent gps programs on the one unit. I think it's cheaper and more practical to go this way over the dedicated units.
ie I have on mine:
destinator, tomtom for road driving
and oziexplore gps tuner for offroad/marine maps.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:23 pm

daveosubi wrote:I think the pda's are the best way to go if you want a portable gps, you can have many diferent gps programs on the one unit. I think it's cheaper and more practical to go this way over the dedicated units.
ie I have on mine:
destinator, tomtom for road driving
and oziexplore gps tuner for offroad/marine maps.

daveosubi
, what is a good Brand PDA to buy if we were to go that direction?

I'm looking at buying a GPS nearer Christmas - New Year so I'm gathering all the info I can before making a decision and at the moment the Tom Tom One is my choice.

Suba
can you tell me what the screen is like in bright sunlight ie do you get glare from it at certain angles etc.?
Peter

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 pm

Subyroo wrote:
daveosubi

I'm looking at buying a GPS nearer Christmas - New Year so I'm gathering all the info I can before making a decision and at the moment the Tom Tom One is my choice.

Suba
can you tell me what the screen is like in bright sunlight ie do you get glare from it at certain angles etc.?
Ive read good things about the "asus A636" they have built in gps, which is what you'd want nowadays, it just saves the hassle of carrying around and charging another device. They are a little old now so there probably better models out but there still good.

If looking 2nd hand youd want at least a 200mhz processor greater than 400mhz would be ideal. An sd card bigger than 1gb depending on how many programs you want (a 256mb is enough for tomtom) you may also need a bluetooth antenna if it doesnt have it built in these go for less than $100 on ebay. And stay away from any palm pilots if there still around they use a different OS than most pda's.

Oh yeah WM6 is the latest operating system for pda's, before that was WM5 then WM2003 (which is what mine runs) so you might wanna check out whats available for whichever pda your looking at. There is still alot of software being made for my older operating system but that will start drying up soon id guess.

I use an o2 xdaiis which is a phone aswell, but I wouldnt reccomend it, it's a few years old now and a bit buggy but still does the trick just needs resetting occasionally.

Another thing is to take it with you when you leave the car, a friend had a window smashed to steal his, even though he had put it in the glove box. I heard the bastard thieves look for the ring left on the windsreen from the suction cup holder.

Suba
General Member

Post by Suba » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:39 pm

Subyroo wrote: Suba can you tell me what the screen is like in bright sunlight ie do you get glare from it at certain angles etc.?
It can be a little bit of a problem , I have tought about this and thinking about getting an external antennea for it and then placing the unit out of the sunlight.

Mike.
ImageImage

Ben

Post by Ben » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:33 pm

I ended up taking up Harvey Norman on their offer of a free gps if taking up a new Telstra phone connection. I had to get a phone anyway and figured a freebie was a good thing for a phone that was gonna cost me the same no matter where I went.

GPS is a Mio C220, runs Whereis 2007 maps, and yes has the 4wd tracks on it. Bloody quick route calcs, and recalcs. Tends to favour the highway though...

Hacked it back to a loose CE install too on the first day, so now it can play mp3's etc.

Pretty happy with it considering it was a freebie!

Cam

Post by Cam » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:18 pm

How bout those nokia navigators? looking for a new phone and if it has gps in it it'll be handy. anyone used one?

adamb

Post by adamb » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 pm

i have the nokia 6110 navigator, and around the city and suburbs it navigates perfectly. Havent had a wrong turn yet. The only offroading ive done with it was at the pines and it had almost all the tracks. i highly recommend it.

Adam

SUBYDAZZ

Post by SUBYDAZZ » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:20 am

A lot of it is going to depend on the detail / accuracy of the software involved. Most Aus OE map products seem to be using Whereis databse, and I can tell you for a fact, there are a lot of things that aren't where they say they are, roads/tracks missing or, on the map but not there in real life etc.
SUBYDAZZ

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:07 pm

Subyroo wrote:
daveosubi

Suba
Hello guy's,

Just to update everybody in this thread, I ended up buying a Tom-Tom One v4 from the USA for $220.00 AUD landed on my doorstep when the aussie $ was at 92.? cents US.
It's a factory refurbished model and comes with 12mths Warranty.

An internet friend from the USA on another Subaru Forum bought it for me and had it shipped to his place where he set it all up with the Australian maps as he already had them from a trip downunder earlier in the year and he put my own splashscreen on it as well as he put the USA - Canada maps onto a CD and sent them down to me too.

I overcame the "glare" problem by buying a Glarestomper for my TT One and it works a treat and I also met the seller in the flesh too when I bought it and he is a great guy. :mrgreen:
Peter

Return to “Navigation”