WTB: EJ22 engine

For those seeking stuff - put your add here ...
NachaLuva
General Member

WTB: EJ22 engine

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm

With my Foz just hitting 200,000kms, I'm wanting to replace the engine with a EJ22, preferably with the timing belt, water pump, etc already done. Manual only, not interested in the "fun" of auto to manual conversion lol

PM me if you have something.

Comments, hints & advice most welcome to be posted :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Owner SubieLiftOz, lift kits for Subarus :twisted:

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Truthfully I would look at a late model low KM E25 forester front cut and replace the whole engine and loom.

Otherwise you would need to source a rebuilt EJ22 with ECU and loom which would probably cost around the same as the Front cut.

or even something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Forester ... 01&vxp=mtr

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Ej25 all the way. The 22's are very good strong motors but getting pretty old and probably tied by now.
A 25 is a good viable option and the same workload as any other n/a swap.
The extra grunt from the 25 is just a bonus.

Both are good options without the need for turbo's or massive amounts of custom work (h6, etc...)

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:48 pm

I'd be looking at using my ECU.

The EJ25 would be great but not sure if we're allowed that swap here. AFAIK, in Vic its a 10% increase in capacity, not sure about power, but I'll check that with VicRoads.

If I'm allowed a EJ25, then I'll be doing that. Apparently if I use the EJ25 injectors, my ECU will cope & also swap over the crank sprocket.

Bit of research to do lol...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

'97 Forester: EJ22E; 4" Custom Body Lift; JDM STi plated LSD; 20mm WRX RSB; Snorkel; Kings

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:41 pm

If you can got the 2.5 then I highly recommend it. The 2.2 has a lot of good power and works well but IMO I'd got the 2.5. Have you got pics of your engine? I think there was an early and late EJ20 engine in the Forester.

There is another option but depends on money ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 pm

I have the early EJ20J. Whats the other option (more out of curiosity as $$$ are a bit short lol)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:17 pm

Cool.. I'm pretty sure the EJ20J has the early heads on it, which means the EJ22 will go in and use all your manifolds and accessories. The extra 200cc won't affect the system too much but I'd recommend increasing the fuel return pressure and maybe the fuel pump to higher spec.

The other option is RSR spec and cannot be devolved ;) but I can say it meets all Aus state requirements
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 01, 2014 12:25 pm

lol :p
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Thu May 01, 2014 2:34 pm

Interesting ;)

The ej25 has heaps of usable power and a massive torque I inscreasr over the factory 2.0 in the foresters. Best mod you can do to a n/a SF in my opinion. Its no performance car but makes a grunty day to day car and has excellent torque for offroad.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 pm

taza wrote:has excellent torque for offroad.
Thats what I'm after...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

coxy

Post by coxy » Fri May 02, 2014 5:24 am

Do not forget to be legal in most states the engine replacement has to meet the same or newer emissions standards.

That might make the EJ25 the only legal option when it comes to Rego.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Fri May 02, 2014 8:50 am

Very true. Usually the replacement engine cannot be older than the vehicle it's going into.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri May 02, 2014 11:08 am

I have a good low kms EJ22 i would sell for the right price. It has 168xxxkms on it and drove great when I last drove the car 3 months ago.

I have found the early EJ22 motors to be great offroad (very torquey down low where you want it) and insanely reliable. I had planned to keep this motor as a spare for my car but the way my old engine is going i will probably never need it.

I have access to reasonable freight through TNT. If you can legally go an EJ22 and dont need the slightly higher peak power of the EJ25 (and blown head gaskets that come with them..) then the EJ22 might be a good option for you.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

NachaLuva
General Member

Post by NachaLuva » Fri May 02, 2014 7:16 pm

OK thanks mate, if I cant go EJ25 I might do that. Would be good getting an engine from someone who not only knows the history but would have serviced it well ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 03, 2014 10:17 am

I don't know why everyone is going on about older EJs - seriously, with is current emissions hooked up to the older block and heads, no one would know the difference until you got an expert involved.

Vic Roads wouldn't care either IMO.

The EJ22 would be the best option as you wouldn't need to have it engineered. If the EJ25 was an option in that model you wouldn't need an engineer certificate either - but I'd imagine you'd need to upgrade the wiring for that to work properly.

I know the old statement "there's not replacement for displacement"; which I generally agree with, but there are times where other factors come into play - ease of maintenance (and a good track record for being bullet proof), economy, ease of conversion etc.

I must say though after seeing Subaruby's '07 (?) foz at work with the poor low range, it's got some awesome down low torque. He too needs an exhaust to unleash that subi beat :twisted:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Wanted”