MY/ Brumby power steering bits

For those seeking stuff - put your add here ...
Rodeo4jake

MY/ Brumby power steering bits

Post by Rodeo4jake » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:25 pm

G'day all
A few months ago I managed to get my hands on a reasonably priced power steering setup from a fellow forum member in QLD. Just this last weekend I finally had a chance to fit it to the car,& upon checking everything out before getting too deep, have discovered I need a couple more bits to get it done.

First & most important is the column to rack joint, this part is specific to power steering models.
The other part is the passenger side rack mount. The standard one is too small.

Willing to pay for parts & postage from anywhere,as I can't make it work without this stuff.

Hope some one can help out

Cheers Jake

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Hey all
Anyone got any suggestions of places to try calling, no luck at the wreckers I know of in Vic. So far.

Cheers Jake

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:46 pm

Hey all
Anyone got any suggestions of places to try calling, no luck at the wreckers I know of in Vic. So far.

Cheers Jake

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:10 pm

Hey Jake, firstly yes the steering knuckle is specific to the power steering model. I have found in the past that some Liberty/Outback ones will fit but you'll need to work out the length of the one required. If you can borrow a Liberty one from someone nearby, then put it on the rack end first and then measure it up against the column. This should give you a good idea of what length is needed.
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:15 am

Hey mate,

Thanks for the tip, would be a bit easier to get wreckers to sell ya one off a Liberty or Outback. The places that I knew had one won't sell it to me cos it makes a kit incomplete. But at $600 I don't think they'll ever sell it anyway.
El Freddo has offered a loan of one temporarily if I get really stuck, so that's handy. Also the guy I got it off is gonna send me something down to try. Between everyone I'm sure it wil happen.
Lucky I checked everything before I pulled the rack out, or I'd have no car to drive at the moment.

Cheers Jake

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:28 pm

The other good thing to check is that your RH cylinder head has the 3 threaded bolt holes to hold the large bracket and the other thing to check is that you have the power steering thermostat housing. I also found when fitting my power steering kit, is that I had to move the brake booster vacuum line to the other side of the manifold. I used another brake booster line with the one way valve as a joiner (make sure you fit the correct way) and last thing I had to do was grind a small bit of the intake manifold, so it didn't hit the pump.

Enjoy :)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:25 am

RSR 555 wrote:I had to move the brake booster vacuum line to the other side of the manifold.

Enjoy :)
Was there a cast boss to drill and tap for this Paul ? I have similar problem with my EA82 spfi inlet manifold - the brake boster vacuum is at the LHD convenient position and no flat top boss in the casting on rhs. Just gonna run a longer vacuum hose until I bump into an ADR that says vacuum hose must take shortest route from manifold to booster :( I don't feel too confident of thin wall casting enough to support brake vacuum the best !

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:38 am

Yeah you are right Guys, I had to move the vacuum to the other side. There was a blanking bolt on the left side & I just swapped it to the right & ran a longer hose to the brake booster. I have already had the pump mounted & all that stuff sorted, than went to go ahead & swap racks when I discovered these things I don't have. The holes in the head for the pump bracket were already tapped in my brumby. If you have an early pre pollution manifold you won't have the trouble with the brake booster vacuum hose,it's on the next step up on the manifold & clears the pump.
Maybe have another crack at again next weekend, see how I go.

Cheers Jake

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:52 am

steptoe wrote:Was there a cast boss to drill and tap for this Paul ? I have similar problem with my EA82 spfi inlet manifold - the brake boster vacuum is at the LHD convenient position and no flat top boss in the casting on rhs. Just gonna run a longer vacuum hose until I bump into an ADR that says vacuum hose must take shortest route from manifold to booster :( I don't feel too confident of thin wall casting enough to support brake vacuum the best !
There was but it meant removing the manifold to drill and tap (as I hate swarf inside engines even with compressed air in the manifold), so the easiest option was to swap over sides. Speaking of which, never look under a RS Liberty or WRX Impreza, if ADR says it should take the shortest route.
Rodeo4jake wrote:Yeah you are right Guys, I had to move the vacuum to the other side. There was a blanking bolt on the left side & I just swapped it to the right & ran a longer hose to the brake booster. I have already had the pump mounted & all that stuff sorted, than went to go ahead & swap racks when I discovered these things I don't have. The holes in the head for the pump bracket were already tapped in my brumby. If you have an early pre pollution manifold you won't have the trouble with the brake booster vacuum hose,it's on the next step up on the manifold & clears the pump.
Maybe have another crack at again next weekend, see how I go.

Cheers Jake
Yeah.. mine was a 1991 model and pollution crap everywhere :(

All the best and you'll be so happy once it's done. I used to think it wasn't so bad until I had it, then I'd never go back to non power steering.

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:11 pm

There's someone on ebay selling "brand new" remanufactured P/S racks for a Brumby, no swap required. A bit steep at $450 so not for me right now, but they look tempting.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Rodeo4jake

Post by Rodeo4jake » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:03 pm

I got the coupling today, off a Touring Wagon at Pick a Part.
Next weekend I should be able to get the job done.

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:19 pm

Woohoo.. we need pics throughout the process :) only kidding.. Let us know how it goes

RSR Performance
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rock Ape

Post by Rock Ape » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:01 am

Silverbullet wrote:There's someone on ebay selling "brand new" remanufactured P/S racks for a Brumby, no swap required. A bit steep at $450 so not for me right now, but they look tempting.

Nah he isn't you have you send him yours and he rebuilds it I know as I did it with my rack when it blew a seal. This includes chroming the shaft. I asked him about brumby racks and he said he handn't seen one in a while let alone stock them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

91 brumby 5 speed, ej22,4inch lift, few other bits and bobs 27s in the mail!

Return to “Wanted”