MY/Brumby adjustable radius rods

Got something to sell ? Put it in here ...
Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:54 pm

Can confirm the custom radius rods are finally finished! 3 pairs in total, hopefully I can pick them up on Friday this week and get some photos up, for those who are still interested. If all the original members who put their hands up still want them (18 months later :oops:) then they are already all spoken for. As per original post, price is $150 for 1 pair plus post. That was the cost of materials (seriously high grade steel, sourced from inter-state and all) and labor, I'm definitely not making any money out of this :rolleyes:

I'll try and PM those 3 members who were interested.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:06 am

I would be interested in a set of these at some point but I'm in no way in the position at the moment to outlay any money on projects. Will you be getting any more made after these?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Subarino - It's unlikely there will be any more made after these, unless more people are interested. There was a lot of difficulty in getting these ones made, mainly in forging the ends. The material is so tough that we had to heat them bright yellow for a BFH to make anything other than a small dent in it. Since they cool quickly many re-heating, hammering, re-heating cycles had to be done which used alot of fuel also. There's quite a few hours (of not my time) machining in each one too. The guy who made these I think is reluctant to do it again because of the difficulties. Unless we can find someone with a blacksmiths forge and a power hammer :)

Also there's no need for concern over the heating of this material having changed their strength; they were cooled slowly by turning off the makeshift furnace they were in and leaving them in there overnight.

Time for some pics! :)

Original radius rod included at the top for reference.

You can see the difference in length and adjustability - the original rubber bushings go over the steel sleeve, one bushing each side of the mounting plate in the car. One big washer either side, then the nyloc nut goes on the end. The two locking nuts are for adjustment. As you can see they are made so that the factory length is still possible, as well as up to about 50mm longer. At their shortest length, the extra threaded rod sticking out the back side may cause issues if it hits somewhere else on the car. If this happens it is perfectly OK to trim the threaded section down. If you cut the end, make sure you put a decent chamfer on the edge to clean up the threads. Also as you can see they are not painted at this stage, a simple clean up with a wire brush and a coat of spray paint is all they need.
Attachments
20160806_112640 (Medium).jpg
20160806_112640 (Medium).jpg (125.42 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
20160806_112521 (Medium).jpg
20160806_112521 (Medium).jpg (121.66 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end