I think I have this Beach fishing thing sorted...

All things related to help you get the Catch of the day ...
Ben

I think I have this Beach fishing thing sorted...

Post by Ben » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:37 pm

Here at Coffs there is a drive on beach that gives about five and a half k's of fishing. I drove the length of it today at low tide and it pretty much has 5k's of gutter along it - awesome!!!

The last three nights I have been down there fishing and the first two of those three there was an old guy there that I got talking to - he was hauling fish in one after the other and all I got was one lousy flathead.....

Turns out my rig was wrong, my bait was wrong (fish eat prawns right?) and I was too far in the water both casting and standing - he reckoned I was scaring the fish away. So, second night I turned up with new rig and live beach worms - scored three good whiting, a couple of dart and numerous smaller "long nosed sand mullet"

Today I went to Fishing Tackle Australia and procured a new Shimano Backbone elite 10' spinning rod to suit my abu 6500C3 and went fishing again. Again I have brought three whiting home, also caught HEAPS of "long nosed sand mullet" Which I am going to have to keep a few to livebait for jacks off the wall at some stage... Main problem is that the wall where they catch the jacks is right next to NSW fisheries, and you aren't allowed to keep "long nosed sand mullet" until they become whiting at 25cm...

Anyway - I think I am going to enjoy beach fishing, now that I have half a clue of what I am doing!!

Now, to catch a Jew...

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:15 am

I take it you mean a jew fish ? :)

Ben

Post by Ben » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:02 am

stinky wrote:I take it you mean a jew fish ? :)
Sure do!!!

I have never even seen one except in seafood shops - been hankering to get one for years, still don't really know what to do though...

The fisherfolk around here have started to pick up school mackerel and striped tuna off the rocks - might have to head out for a morning spin session...

fredsub

Re: I think I have this Beach fishing thing sorted...

Post by fredsub » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:23 am

MechaWagon wrote:...
was too far in the water both casting and standing - he reckoned I was scaring the fish away...
was snorkling off the beach 2 weekends ago,tide rather flat...I was amazed with the number fish out there so close to the beach..schools of em..big fish too.....even saw a 1/2m sting ray...gee they are marvelous to see move.....hmmm haven't given fishin much of a go myself tho....seems more time efficient to queue at the fish market :lol:

Ben

Re: I think I have this Beach fishing thing sorted...

Post by Ben » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:23 am

fred-sub wrote:
MechaWagon wrote:...
was too far in the water both casting and standing - he reckoned I was scaring the fish away...
was snorkling off the beach 2 weekends ago,tide rather flat...I was amazed with the number fish out there so close to the beach..schools of em..big fish too.....even saw a 1/2m sting ray...gee they are marvelous to see move.....hmmm haven't given fishin much of a go myself tho....seems more time efficient to queue at the fish market :lol:
I don't do it for the time efficiency :) It's more of the harking back to caveman days when I can drag home the kill to feed the family :)

Sometimes I actually get to take something home!!

I also don't fancy eating something that is called "Freshwater Fillets" - last I heard that isn't actually a species... At least if I catch it I know what I am getting...

Return to “Fishing”