Sunroof converstions...

General Subaru Talk - Media / News / Stories ...
Subaruba...

Sunroof converstions...

Post by Subaruba... » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:54 pm

So i have a '89 L-series Tourer with a lift and sunnies etc etc but i have a sunroof too which i know people out there have as well. Thing is its just a crappy one which a) leaks, and b) can only wind about 1 inch up from the roof. Now obviously i want to be able to open it fully, so drunk people can...i dunno.. vomit out of it, whatever, im just wondering if anyone has ever bothered with converting a sun roof to a slide back one or anything simliar at all.

Josh

smoov

Post by smoov » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:22 pm

Don't be mucking around too much with sunroofs. Thats my generalised advice.

Avoid removing them from the roof unless you know exactly what you're doing. They need to be aligned with precision, and only a truly experienced person should attempt to even tackle one.

Having said that, a common cause of sunroof leak, is blocked drainage channels. You should be able to see these by removing your headlining from the car, and look for rubber tubing that leads to the outside for drainage... over time, these holes fill up with gunk and dirt, and they do need periodic cleaning.

Your best bet would be to find a sunroof installer close to you and get them to check it out.

Also, keep an eye out for rust. If its been leaking for too long, there's a good chance that you have some cancer developing.

Is it an aftermarket item? I never knew if the touring wagon actually had a factory sunroof.

Cheers

alex
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Subaruba...

Post by Subaruba... » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:24 pm

Cheers mate thats good advice just what i wanted to hear, now i think about it i can imagine it being a real bitch attempting to re-align a sunroof. I cant figure out if its after market or not, but my guess it isnt. It doesnt appear in the extensive service history i got with the car - but mostly it looks as old as the car is, and is the "touring wagon" and isnt exactly rocket science. but i suppose id need to compare it with someone else's re size of hole etc to see if it was. ill check that stuff out, cheers again.

Josh
89 L-series Touring Wagon - 2" lift - 14" sunnies - bumper replacement bullbar - sunroof - other stuff

coupe

sun roof

Post by coupe » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:02 pm

Hi Mate
The factory ones are usualy sitting in a pressed recess in the roof with drain holes.
After market ones have a large hole cut into the roof then they clamp and screw the two pieces together with sealant.
If its a aftermarket one then just find a simlar hole size one to replace making sure that the roof profile is the same.
If its the factory one then it should be fully removable.
My Vortex has a huge one that comes out and goes in the boot when i want to do that open air thing.
I check the drain hole twice a year to make sure that i dont have drain probs.
Cheers Pete
Use The Fork Luke

smoov

Post by smoov » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:00 pm

any pics of this sunroof? could help us help you more!
1998 Subaru Legacy GTB

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:11 pm

If you have a sunroof in an offroad car you should clean the drain holes out ofter each run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

Subaruba...

sunroof pics

Post by Subaruba... » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:40 pm

Got some sunroov pics. So its 100% an aftermarket deal, without drainage holes! hence now that the seals are buggered i get 1/2 a cup of water on my lap every time i turn left when it rains!!! As soon as i took the plastic cover thing off it all became clear. Note the rediculous water damage... Infact all the roof lining is shitty and has come un-stuck from the foamy stuff on the roof. Might look into that when holidays come...

Im thinking either get the seals re done (any advice welcome) or go hunting a new one. Thought id drop a pic of muh beast in there too...

cheers

Josh
Attachments
P1010084small.JPG
P1010084small.JPG (70.61 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
P1010082small.JPG
P1010082small.JPG (40.11 KiB) Viewed 3322 times
P1010076small.JPG
P1010076small.JPG (47.15 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
P1010069small.JPG
P1010069small.JPG (46.23 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
P1010068small.JPG
P1010068small.JPG (55.96 KiB) Viewed 3324 times
89 L-series Touring Wagon - 2" lift - 14" sunnies - bumper replacement bullbar - sunroof - other stuff

BigAndRed

Post by BigAndRed » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:48 pm

As far as I know there were never factory fitted into L series, only after market sunroof. I have an Outback and it leaks, fills up the map lights. Got the cup full of water in my lap problem as well. Im going to use roof and gutter silicon sealer and glue the whole lot up to seal it then disconect the electrical switch so it can never be opened again. That should fix it. I also have a 10W solar panel to put in under the glass and feed the wire down to my dual battery to trickle charge when im not using the car.

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:46 am

As posted above, clean the water drains.

The seal that is around the glass ISN'T for keeping water out. There will be a tray under the hoodlining that catches the water that gets past that seal, then drains it out, there should be a drain in each corner, not easy to get too, but plenty prettier than a silion bog mess.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:55 pm

There was a factory sunroof for the L series! I've only ever seen two and both were on a series 1 L series sedan. It was electric with the switches to operate it incorporated into the map lights...

Never seen one on a wagon and this unit certainly wouldn't fit a touring wagon!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Subaru Chat”