reduced forum access and traffic can go suck a dick

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

reduced forum access and traffic can go suck a dick

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm over this issue with the forum where only old versions of internet explorer and firefox can have access to the forum.

I noted there were 104 online users and only one member online atm... I'm not getting any email notifications either - even though my CP settings are set up for this.

Like other forum members that are still lurking around, I hope something is done to fix the issue and have more member traffic return once again.

Also I know there are a number of members that used to frequent forums that have either moved on from subarus, had kids and lost interest/time to frequent the forum or just dropped off for other reasons.

If this is the way the forum is going to die, It's a pretty sad way to go I reckon :(

Regards to all.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:14 pm

The browser issue is most likely the forum software being old, but I see it's proprietary which means it'll probably cost money to upgrade. Mods???

I know a bit of web stuff, so if the mods need a hand maybe I can help out???

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:25 pm

The line is/was that the forum was "neutered" like this to stop hackers.
There's only 1 guy who can fix/change it and I'm not sure if he's terribly interested in any of it, even handing over the reins to someone else :(

It is certainly sad to see so little activity on here, after all these years what used to be a great little community.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:49 pm

Agreed SB.

Feels like the death knell :evil:

:cry:

Bennie

PS - I got one email notification last week to say that someone had replied to one of the threads I've subscribed to - but it was only for the first thread, all the others didn't send an email as it's setup to do.

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:07 pm

Traffic has all moved to FB. This is common to all forum's I've been involved in over the years in various interests. The one exception that seems to keep going is USMB. The problem is when these forums get closed down all the information built up by members is lost (FB is just hopeless, many posts on Subaru sections end up pointing back to this site).
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:27 pm

dfoyl wrote:Traffic has all moved to FB. This is common to all forum's I've been involved in over the years in various interests. The one exception that seems to keep going is USMB. The problem is when these forums get closed down all the information built up by members is lost (FB is just hopeless, many posts on Subaru sections end up pointing back to this site).
Not everybody has a FB account either, they are more than Welcome to it.
I had one for a very, very, short period of time before I shut it down. I couldn't stand the drivel and the bullshit that some people post.

I agree with you on the loss of DIY's and the fixes that are lost due to dead or dying Forums, it is sad to see all that information go down the gurgler. :( :(
Peter

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:09 pm

I too don't have a facebook account (anymore - it's been about 18 months now and I don't miss it). Facebook will never be able to keep posts like a forum unless they open up a forum like structure within their facebook setup. Then watch the dribble occur that you'll have to sift through to find the actual information you're chasing.

Another forum I'm on that has about 5 members rocking the MY's and L's (I think I'm one of two with the L series) is subyclub. This forum still has good traffic even though it's dropped off since I joined up - same deal - facebook is taking ppl away from the forum to the fb.

I'd just like to get this issue with the forum sorted (as I'm sure other members do too) and go from there - try and get the easy access back on all web browser formats then see what traffic heads our way ;)

Cheers

Bennie

pedroj

Post by pedroj » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:31 pm

a forum like this is just too handy, the only downside is a lot of the image sharing is now nobbled by external policy so quite a few threads are hard to follow as so much is conveyed in the photos. I am an IT bloke so happy to help out is I can but notice this forum software is getting old and is paid for so no idea if it can be upgraded. Does anyone know who pays for the hosting?

Peter with his 5th Brumby and counting. . . anyone willing to do an EJ conversion for me LOL

Suby Spanner

Post by Suby Spanner » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:10 am

Peter... don't tempt me. I keep skimming gumtree to find a suitable donor with the dual range manual box.... You pull-it elizabeth had a nice GC wagon, dual range manual a while back...was tempted.

Nubaru

Post by Nubaru » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:32 pm

It is a shame such a resourceful forum has gone to the wayside. I have had much trouble surfing through this forums info lately. I have also dipped my toes into facebook Subaru deDICKated sections that remind me of a roll of poo paper activity during an endemic case of tummy trouble. You cant catch up after a week, a month or year after someone contributed some very good info. There seems to be some perpetual facehookers contributing, a lot of good people resorting to fb and as usual some dick players as wel - all entertaining but i cant keep up

My assessment of this forum is mostly MY and L stuff truly and how many of these things are out there anymore huh? You see the odd Brumby that even gives a wave, seen one MY sedan in years and he only drives from home to the bus stop for his missus and the very odd L wagon, never a sedan

I guess I will just resort to the way life was conducted before the internet ..swap meets, club gatherings and nutting things out on my own.
member since 10january2014 #6191

timmo

Post by timmo » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi Bennie, are you after any RS lib parts ? I have a sedan I'm going to wreck soon
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:56 pm

While I do frequent FB a lot, the loss of this forum would be devastating.
The FB sites have a place but long term this forum has more knowledge and character/charm than the FB sites will ever have.
I guess if we have no choice but to use Firefox than what option is there to keep this forum populated.
I haven't been on lately but time is now returning so I will be on a lot more.
Gotta keep this forum going somehow.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:39 pm

timmo wrote:Hi Bennie, are you after any RS lib parts ? I have a sedan I'm going to wreck soon
Probably :???:

To be honest the RS was parked up and pretty much left alone since moving towns and the engine build came to a halt :evil:

I really need to look into it as I think most of what I need are small cosmetic things...

WAIC is on my list - but for something else ;) Mainly after the heat exchange unit for a good price, or the whole kit for a good price (good price = what Mrs El Freddo says, even when she doesn't know what she's talking about).

One thing that I'm chasing is a seal for the WAIC pump - no one seems to know where one can be found from but there must be a solution out there. I'm not throwing a way a good pump/motor for the sake of a seal!

Cliff - I've jumped over to Firefox. Works a treat.

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Open Slather”