New years furry visitor

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Silverbullet

New years furry visitor

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:54 pm

Thought I heard some rustling louder than usual in the front yard this morning, had a look and found this guy chilling in our gum tree :rolleyes: We see them regularly around our area, there's quite a large reserve over our back fence and this is probably the third or fourth time a koala has appeared in our front yard in the last 5 years. This time last year we even got a ring-tailed possum in the backyard stealing our apricots.

Got me to thinking, I've seen and heard reports around the place that koalas are becoming scarce and only survive on the eastern coast?? That doesn't seem right to me :confused: There's certainly plenty here in Adelaide at least.

Attachments
20170102_105611 (Medium).jpg
20170102_105611 (Medium).jpg (118.66 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
20170102_105529 (Medium).jpg
20170102_105529 (Medium).jpg (120.89 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
20170102_105511 (Medium).jpg
20170102_105511 (Medium).jpg (123.26 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:31 pm

Nice one mate.

There are areas in Vic that are over populated and I believe animals are regularly removed, treated for sexually transmitted diseases then transferred to a new location where the population is dwindling.

In suburbs of Melbs people often report kangaroos in their street not realising that they've built on the roo's feeding grounds.

Look after them, Australian native animals are amazing creatures ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Bryan1

Post by Bryan1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:30 pm

We used to get Roo's in the front garden a few years ago but when we got Ruff he soon learned to take them on and now we hardly see one and the fruit trees can grow without being munched.

Yet if we go out the back of our place there are roo's everywhere but aint seen a Koala here although there are reports some are in Nairne.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:43 pm

There are roo's around here as well, happily on the other side of a tall fence. The Happy Valley reservoir is just down the road and all fenced off from the public, looks to be a native wildlife haven in there which I like to see. Sometimes the odd one will make it past the fence and onto the busy 80km/h road though :( Interesting that the area around the reservoir has been left pretty much untouched since the 1920's, shows what the local area once would have looked like before people developed it. Some nice looking fire tracks in there too :twisted:

Yep Bennie I love seeing native animals around the house, the ringy possum last year was a nice surprise and also looks like our backyard has become a blue tongued lizard breeding ground this year :rolleyes: Rarest thing I ever saw has to be the spotted harrier that landed on the back fence once, or the Eastern Spinebill that seems to do the rounds in the local area which I see quite often. The Spinebill has also recently taken up residence on our new $5 note :cool:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:57 am

Get the right food source & most natives will happily visit ... :)

Trouble is we're increasingly encroaching into their territory, so yes their numbers will vary in regions affected ... :/

Got your own drop bear !

Cheers, Bantum ...

Return to “Open Slather”