Fun and games - time to move

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Fun and games - time to move

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:44 pm

So after a few too many years in Shepp I've scored a new teaching position and will finally be moving out of town to Sunbury (or as I knew it when growing up in the area, Scumbury).

I'm looking forward to the move, just not actually doing all the work to move the contents of a house and two projects, three technically with my sister's Liberty.

Let the games begin (and all the travel!)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:09 pm

I too am dreading moving the contents of my garage. Although we still haven't decided if we're moving in May or not. Well done with the job, best of luck mate.
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:37 pm

Thanks Phiz.

I'm pretty excited about the job but it's only a one year contract :/
Plus side is it'll look awesome on my résumé :D

The new place has a smaller shed in that you can't fit a second car in there side by side by my reckoning. Time will tell. It's a larger space than a lot of garages/sheds available these days though.

Cheers

Bennie

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:05 pm

All the best with the move and good luck with the new job! I'm sure you'll do such a stellar job they'll sign you on for more than 1 year ;)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:06 am

Only a 1/2 hour drive to Campbellfield PAP !
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:18 pm

dfoyl wrote:Only a 1/2 hour drive to Campbellfield PAP !
I know right! That'll be good. Just being closer to the city, and importantly for family, the Calder freeway will be really good.

SB - a second year will depend on the movements of the staff member I'm replacing and if they decide not to come back it's not a guaranteed gig in the following year. In education over here it's generally one year contracts until a certain point if you've been at the same school for X period of time.

I'm just going to enjoy the year in a new school and work my best while gaining further experience for my next round of job applications...

House is now secured. Now to ramp up the packing process since the Xmas celebrations are over! Amongst packing I'll be in the process of getting RWC and rego sorted on Basil (sister's liberty). Should be some fun!

Cheers

Bennie

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Moving 101 - Bennie's learnings:

- hire an inclosed truck to move boxed, bulky and awkward items in one go.

- ensure family that have been organised for various reasons are in place when arranged to be

- pack boxes etc prior to hiring the truck, and I mean everything.

So this is how it went: hired the truck a day earlier than we'd originally planned due to timing required to return the truck on the weekend. We packed the boxes into the truck, and the bulky items, clothing bag and everything else we could including other stuff that was boxed along the way.

Family had one of those "comedy of error" runs and arrived late - we asked some friends to step in for us. This put us behind time but helped us out emmensely!

Drive two hours, park truck across four 45* angled parks to go and collect keys etc. Call more family to help.

Frantically unpack truck into house after completing a condition report without any items in the house. Complete this at the time we wanted to be leaving town to get the truck back on time.

Cut corners on planned arrangements - eg picking up a car before returning truck. Call family member to organise our ride home. Return truck on time (yay!).

Find out you used 393km of the 400km daily rate the truck was hired with. Winning!

Return home wrecked. Get take out. Drink alcohol - a little bit as that's all you need ;)

Also it's good to pack/sort a decent lunch prior to picking up the truck (that you block the driveway with while loading it up). Gatorade is gold between drinking water to keep hydrated and electrolytes up. Of course we didn't do this but paid seven eleven an arm and a leg for the privilege after we unloaded the truck - only because it was a) quick and easy, and b) they allow trucks into the servo with ease :D

Good times. Would totally use a truck again but would have things organised differently. A cull would occur earlier, things that are related would be always kept together - eg craft gear, camping kitchen (usually is but has become spread out).

Now time to pick up all the random crap in the house - and move the entire shed contents (which annoyingly ended up with a fair bit of "where can this fit in the house, oh the shed will do!).

Good bit will be setting up the new garage.

It's certainly been a learning experience. Things will definitely be done differently next time.

Driving a truck was fun - met all the "me me me me" drivers out there :???:

Cheers

Bennie

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:22 pm

Good job on all that journey!

It must be moving season! I'm starting to pack up too, headed to the Sunshine State... Much the same as yourself, moving for work and not looking forward to the packing and moving of stuff! I guess that's the only plus of not having the Foz and bits and pieces anymore is that I don't need to take all that stuff.

Best of luck with the job!

Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:36 pm

Stuff like this never goes to plan eh :) Brave move relying on family and friends to help with a house move, can be a bit hit and miss sometimes I hear :rolleyes:

Good luck in the new place, good luck in the new shed! :eek:
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 am

Congrats on both the move and the new job. Been there, done that so know how it feels and certainly had similar learnings. To that I would add:

1) Start packing at least two weeks beforehand. That means you have the boxes before that.
2) Moving lots of stuff? Have a skip out the front (on move day, to prevent others filling it for you) and fill it. No, really!
3) If you're moving boxes that haven't been unpacked since the last move, unless they are family photos, important documents or worth real $$$$, move them to the skip.
4) If you're a pack-rat/hoarder like me: Ignore (3).
5) Unpack only what you really need. Get rid of anything left over unpacked in boxes after a few months before the next move (and pack-rat me ignored my own advice again!) :-)

Hope the new job works out for you!
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks guys.

I guess one of our issues is basically what Patrick mentioned: old boxes that still haven't been opened since the last move. These boxes are from both our homes after we moved into this house. Since it was the most permanent accommodation we've had since getting married our parents gave us all our gear from their places.

We then were busy with the new job, then child 1 came along and that kept us busy on a whole new level. The boxes just sat there.

Our game plan now is to have 2017 as our "cull year" and as previously mentioned, organise items in to like groups then place into storage boxes. This with help with neatness, organisation and an easy "pick up and go" move next time (hopefully not this time next year!).

Pedro, we need to catch up before you go. I can't believe you first dropped the foz, now you're moving north. It is really that shameful that you're not in a foz anymore?? :lol:

I'm also hoping this year brings more offroading opportunities since I'm now closer to a range of different places that are good for offroading :twisted:

And wrecked today. Definitely need to do some stretching before loading up another trailer (small) to headed down and arrange some boxes into rooms etc. Then we pick up a mate's car trailer and the real fun begins - loading cars then towing in the heat :???:

Cheers

Bennie

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:28 pm

5 S https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5S_(methodology)

if you haven't used it for more than 3 months is it really needed?

doesn't apply to tools and car parts :) (most car parts)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:41 am

Bennie, almost exactly the same for me -marriage, job, kid, "inheriting"!

What you've got to realise is all those "parental donations" (and from others) are really just them getting rid of their junk. So politely refuse. Note you may carry out the same donation in oh, say, 20 yrs time ;-)

Another organisational motto (from a course at work) that may help (particularly referring to a desk/paperwork so adapt as necessary, it has helped me):
USE, LOSE, STOW, THROW

USE it within two weeks
or
LOSE it from the desk to a file within easy reach for 1/3/6 months
then
STOW the file in storage for 12/24 months
then
THROW it away (unless required).

Reuse of an item reverts to the desktop and 'resets' the timer (for that item)

Remembering too that organised junk is still junk!
(I now need to take my own advice! :roll: )
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:13 pm

Patrick we're definitely going to need to do something like that! We've certainly got some gear to go through sooner rather than later!

Almost done now! So far "the Rock" has done the best part of 3000km towing a car trailer the whole time... We've also skipped an oil change as we don't have time to do this. Long runs will be good for it anyway. It'll certainly get some loving after the move. Oil and filter change and probably a new set of tyres and a good clean inside and out.

So looking forward to this being over. Still got the garden to go and those shit shit bits of the shed and house to collect. Australia Day is looking like the J's, BBQ, cans and going through boxes. Fun fun. Hopefully we'll have our second bedroom available by the. As the door cannot be opened atm - we're waiting on the age t to sort something out for that :???:

Anyway, gotta go, we have another drive north ahead of us...

Cheers

Bennie

Return to “Open Slather”