MY wagon rear seat

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

MY wagon rear seat

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:50 am

I have only every had the one MY which is my current car being an 82 model MY Touring wagon.
It has the 50/50 split folding rear seat back which when the back is folded it doesn't sit flat.
Were there any MY wagon rear seats which did fold flat ?
I know this would probably be limited to a one piece seat back (not 50/50) and only up to 1984.
Happy to ditch the 50/50 rear seat as I only ever fold the whole seat anyway.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:55 am

Yes, the standard (non-touring wagons) had a fold flat back seat which was single piece. My car has/had this and I plan to get it re-upholstered to retain the fold flat convenience :) Only downside is they are alot less padded and comfy than the touring wagon seats, not velour, no head rests, pretty spartan really. If I remember rightly there is a single handle in the middle of the back side of the back rest, which you pull up to release the locking mech at either end. Also you have to slide the front seats forward to be able to swing the lower cushion all the way up and out of the way, for the back rest to fold flat up against the floor. If like me you like the drivers seat all the way back for maximum leg room you'll have to adjust to a new driving position :) It's not that bad though.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:33 am

Just as well I dont sit in the back seat :) and I dont usually have the seat right back.
My rear seat velour is totally stuffed from lack of (my) attention, all cracked up so I will investigate further of a DL/GL wagon rear seat.
Wonder if the 50/50 rear seat will have different hinges ?

Bantum
General Member

Post by Bantum » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:16 pm

Can't be certain as I don't have both at hand, but the 50/50 split in the touring wagon has 3 hinges ( from memory ) with center one an odd pivot contraption that hooks both sides together. Don't recall their exact dimension / location though.

I ended up installing a false floor to get reasonably flat surface ... ( see my wagon thread for more ) have some drawings too if you like them pm me for a copy ... ��

Cheers, Bantum ...

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Bantum
After 82 the 50/50 seats may lock together, mine doesnt though I actually wish they would at least do this. It is a pain to fold them separately at times.

Return to “Open Slather”