Window tint fitting

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Window tint fitting

Post by Cliff R » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:06 am

Anyone have any pro's and con's comments regarding the application of window tint to Subaru's with pillar less windows.
I am wondering if the tint should go all the way to the windows edge or be cut with a border around the tint to the window edge so it doesn't catch on the door rubber when the window is wound up.
I has been about 35 years since I have tinted a car so tinting technology has probable come a long way.
As always, cleanliness if vital so maybe with technology and cleanliness going to the edge of the window is fine.
Certainly easier that getting an even border.
Thoughts anyone ?

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:45 am

Our old wagon had window tint early in its life, couldn't tell you if it went all the way to the edge. I'd say you will be fine because the edges of the windows don't really slide into a channel in the rubber at the top/sides, more like press up against the outside of the seal. Keep your seals clean and lubed (I hear silicone spray does wonders for power windows) to reduce the risk of peeling.

One bad thing though, after about 15-20 years the old tint started to get unsightly bubbles all through it, had to be taken off :???: Annoyingly it took the rear defroster element with it but probably because the removal technique was wrong. I would hope tinting film technology has improved a bit since then :)
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:25 am

do it the same way you did 35 years ago - the appearance of the finish has not changed. When checking 'em for RTA purposes still find selves trying to pick if is factory privacy glass (which gives lower than legal for tint film readings) or tint film. And Subes have been a common one for privacy glass which has to pass or someone goes tint film their Sube down to 25% or so - it has to fail. None have a clear glass strip for vindow rubbers.

Got the Brum windows to do when can find time,cleanliness moments merge.

Cussons, bottle sprayer, piece a glass to peel backing off on, new squeegee check....

Return to “Open Slather”