Roof racks

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Cliff R
General Member

Roof racks

Post by Cliff R » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:23 am

Once I have finished the screw on luggage rack project I am considering actually using the roof of the MY wagon to carry things.
I would be looking at carrying any manner of items including possibly a small pop up roof tent or a full length carry basket.
Some time ago I made contact with a company on ebay and they quoted me on building a pair of ROLA racks to suit the high roof wagon. I now think I would need a third rack to distribute weight more evenly.
Can anyone recommend a set up that works and pros/cons of the ROLA racks.
My only concern with the ROLA is while they look good, racks with a higher setting off the roof top may have more sideways flex so I may need to get racks like Rhino racks which are a 3 piece but more sturdy than the ROLA's.
I understand there is only so much weight the gutters can take but racks with a wide base of each gutter section and a more sturdy construction may be more of use.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:19 am

Personally I'd go four racks for a basket or hard lid camper. A fold up tent would probably only need the two racks simply due to the size of them. Probably best to have a flat "basket" for more rigidity (extra racks in the system) if you've got the tent up there.

Static weight carrying capacity is greater than when moving - two adults sleeping up top with two or three rack shouldn't be an issue for the gutters.

That said, I'd not carry weights on the roof with anything less than 3 racks. And especially avoid long overhangs with weight out past the front and rear racks as this will create a leverage situation and WILL damage your gutters - I learnt the hard way using two racks like this on our last desert trip. It also pays to check their mounting tension several times during the trip if its a long one.

Also make sure your racks actually clamp the gutter and not the trim piece. I've removed my gutter trim for this exact reason. Easier to do on the L than the MY though.

Go for something sturdy over the cheaper option ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Cliff R
General Member

Post by Cliff R » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:29 pm

Bennie
All great info and I agree with all of it.
I just have to find a couple of pairs of racks at a reasonable price but good quality.
Good idea about the flat basket too.
I think I will stay clear of ROLA racks as Rhino and Proracks seem less streamlined but more sturdy especially where the feet sit in the gutter.

Return to “Open Slather”