Bad Weed

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
yarney
General Member

Bad Weed

Post by yarney » Thu May 22, 2014 4:57 pm

I have got this weed growing in the yard see below It looks like a strawberry runner, and has a stem with a small yellow flower.
When you grab the main runners it breaks off (very brittle) the bigger ones have a tap root so it's hard to get it all out even with a weeder
If you leave it for a long time like i did :evil: it will throw seeds like a dandelion

Then it will shoot from where the seed lands mainly where there is bare dirt not where grass is. I went through and pulled out most of it with a weeder but it has come back with lots of back up (there is shoots every where) the photo shows how thick it came back
I have used roundup on it and it dose kill it but the also kills everything leaving bare dirt and the cycle begins again
Can anybody tell me what it is please and what i can use to kill it that won't kill the grass

Jan

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] !!!Subies will go anywhere

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Thu May 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Weed and feed! It kills all in the broad leaf family of weeds but doesn't touch grasses. Just don't spray it on surrounding garden, it will kill nice plants too.
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 pm

4-6 inches of pine bark applied over everything :)

Or as SB stated weed and feed.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 pm

I had some bad weed back in the 80s :rolleyes:

I love the name "Weed and Feed" that's exactly how I got when I had a weed problem.. needed feeding ;)
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu May 22, 2014 9:40 pm

sadly it is the survival of the fittest in the plant world.A mix of caustic soda and water will devestate the landscape and nothing will grow for at least eighteen months, then turf roll out time. Not seen it darn sarth

ktmtragic

Post by ktmtragic » Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 pm

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat May 24, 2014 11:51 am

One thing I've learned from the bio movement at the vineyard I used to work at is that you can collect up some of this weed, put it in a bucket with water and keep it covered for a month - keep plunging it every so often.

It will stink something chronic! By the end of the process you strain the brew then spray it where ever the weed is found. The water concoction is deadly to the weed only. You should be able to apply several coats if needed.

Do this a few times over as you need the seeds in the ground to germinate to kill off the weed's "legacy" otherwise you'll end up with the same problem again. You'll have to keep the weed from seeding if you can, this will shorten the process.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Return to “Open Slather”