60766244's Tinted Upol Raptor-Liner on 1990 Brumby Ute Tray

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...

60766244's Tinted Upol Raptor-Liner on 1990 Brumby Ute Tray

Post by 60766244 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:36 pm

N.B: I couldn't think where was best for this, as there's no "Workshop" section dedicated to paints/coatings. Maybe there should be? Idk, it's going here for now anyway.

I finally bit the bullet and did what I've been saying I'll do for ages...

Started the process of spraying my ute.

The bits:

I started at 9:30 am - the weather is cloudy and a little cool, though the sun is hot and there's a minimal breeze. Perfect spraying conditions in my book. Lots of ventilation, no dust. :rolleyes:

First up had to really scrub the ute out. Pressure cleaned the hell out of it, then ground the bog-job I had done to make it less obvious. A 40grit angle grinder flapper disk did a great job on this part.

I then grabbed an angle grinder steel wire disk and used that to clean up any rustyish spots, or any spots with too much grime and crap.

Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Post by 60766244 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:38 pm

After another wash, and a air-gun blow out, I rubbed the whole thing down with newspaper - and got even more grime off!

And I gave it another blow-down too.

In the midst of all this I also taped-up the ute to stop the liner going places I didn't want it. (Schultz Guns spray in an insanely messy pattern)

Heh, My way of getting the boot to be the way I wanted it it for easy spraying. Perfect. :rolleyes:

Lots and lots and lots of tape. (More tape is better than less! ;)) I payed more for the professional auto-body painters masking tape as I'd used cheap tape before, and the cheap stuff'd turned out horrid. The fancy masking tape is a dream to use. I used two different thicknesses of tape. One very thin - extremely good for going around corners and another very fat, great for keeping a nice straight(ish) line and pinning down all the paper.

I put towels down on the roof/bonnet so the tarp wouldn't scratch the paint in any way and then bonded tarp-paper together to protect the ute from any over-spray.

Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Post by 60766244 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:38 pm

All in all, a decent prep job I'd think?!? Seemed to turn out alright. Never sprayed anything like this before.

I then applied the "Acid-Etch" to the tray which is essentially a primer for the rest to come.

Coat One:

Coat Two:

After two coats of that I then grabbed the "Grip" product Upol also recommends and sprayed any and all corners/edges/lips - all excess product I put over the primer too, as I figured it couldn't hurt. (Grip product is the pink one in the "group" photo.)

All the tray "Accessories" got a hit of primer too.

Very nice cans to work with by the way.

Post by 60766244 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:42 pm

After all that dried - I worked up the courage to do the final coat. The actual Raptor-Liner.

I'd opted to do the colour tinted liner, in the same 748 - Maple Beige as the rest of the Brumby. Looking back, I might have been fine with black, But the colour match looks perfect right now, lets see how it goes when it dries.

Mixing the Raptor-Liner was a bit of guesswork. On the instruction booklet they give you they give you a very basic little diagram saying "Fill hardener to here" then "Add colour to here" - All very well and good save for a few issues.
One - The bottles are black, so you need to look inside to see what you're doing.
Two - There's only one marking, the one for the hardener.
So I ended pouring the hardener up to the line, then guessing how much colour to add... :rolleyes: No option really.

Once I did that I shook those bottles for 2 minutes (as per instructions) and hooked them directly into the shultz spray gun.

By lordy it splatters.

Lots of mess and coverage but I soon realized there was no way I was going to get good coverage of the whole ute spraying this stuff on.

Really nice clumpy texture. I wonder how well it will clean? :rolleyes: Hehe

Post by 60766244 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:42 pm

And then I ran out... It's more or less done, but not completely perfect as I'd like.

Reading up about it, and having advice from experts they'd all said the single 4L spray kit would be enough for an F250 ute tray, and my Brumby would have LOADS to spare... Yeah right. Maybe if I painted it on very thinly with a brush!

So, here she stands, as of right now, waiting for another kit of liner to finish the job. Hopefully 2 bottles will make me happy, as, that's all the tint I have left!!

Happy Friday all... I'll hopefully get the rest I need before closing time today! And maybe by Sunday the tape will come off... :)

Post by 60766244 » Sat May 18, 2013 6:50 pm

Okay so yes, thread was re-posted. Something went wrong with it today when I went to look back on a photo so I killed it and re-posted it...

I needed another two bottles to get the job finished and to make it perfect I'd probs want 6 more... :sigh:

Got all excited today and pulled off the tape and it all looks more or less properly sorted out! The colour isn't exact, but that's more likely that my paint has faded over the years more than anything.

I'll get some photos tomorrow when I put everything back together.

Things I've learned:
- You need twice as much raptor liner as you're told you need.
- You can use less tint than they say you need and get identical colouring
- Rolling it on would be 100x better than spraying it.
- Shultz guns are a pain in the ass.
- I need a bigger air compressor.
- Respirators are awesome!
- Prep work might suck, but it's so important
- Expensive masking tape is worth it
- Newspapers great because you can read articles between coats. ;)

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am

Nice one mate. I used herculiner on my brumby tray but I hand applied it.
Mind you my tray was really clean already so prep work was easy!
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

B00sting

Post by B00sting » Sun May 19, 2013 11:22 am

ps you can buy a big paint kit of herculiner with the application brush then all you need is turps and your done. from memory a few hundred the kit was.
Brumby 1992: EA81, 15" peugot steelies, 2" ********* body lift, tonneau cover, bullbar, GME UHF, ARB compressor, ********* rear diff protector, SOLD

-97 Landcruiser :D

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:00 pm

All was unveiled today! The coat came up more or less perfect. Had some issues with it binding on-top of the window, and there's the odd spot where the primer is still a little visible, but all in all pretty happy with it, and it's a lot better than the before!

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:01 pm

Just need some chrome stripping for that tailgate now. :rolleyes:

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:38 pm

B00sting wrote:Nice one mate. I used herculiner on my brumby tray but I hand applied it.
Mind you my tray was really clean already so prep work was easy!
I hadn't heard of Herculiner until just then I think. I must be under a rock. :|
B00sting wrote:ps you can buy a big paint kit of herculiner with the application brush then all you need is turps and your done. from memory a few hundred the kit was.
Yeah it was $230 for the 4L Kit of Upol Raptor Liner at trade price from a panel-beater supply place in Perth. The Shultz gun was around $27.

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Nice job! I wasn't aware of DIY tray liners, might have to look into this for my ute. But being the pedantic person I am I couldn't do it with my tray bottom being as dented and bowed as it is... :( Interesting idea having it come up over the edges and up onto the roof like that, good thing you got the colour pretty well matched! :p
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

purp

Post by purp » Sun May 19, 2013 1:16 pm

Looks really good! Better then some other parts of the car :)

So, am I correct I. Understanding that this stuff is some sort of two part epoxy coating?

Post by 60766244 » Sun May 19, 2013 1:48 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Nice job! I wasn't aware of DIY tray liners, might have to look into this for my ute. But being the pedantic person I am I couldn't do it with my tray bottom being as dented and bowed as it is... :( Interesting idea having it come up over the edges and up onto the roof like that, good thing you got the colour pretty well matched!
Yeah well... Those spots had some serious scratches/rub-throughs of the paint so I figured it would not hurt to cover them up some more since they're high-wear areas.

Doing it again I might have saved some of the fluffing around and used black. Would've looked pretty cool now I think about it where the lines are now.

It's amazing how much the Upol covers up the dents - it totally eliminated most of them. Much of my tray had massive dents however and that's where that red bog came into effect. Used about 3L of bog just in the tray! :cool:

There's stuff I'd do differently next time, but for now this seems to suit me. :)
purp wrote:Looks really good! Better then some other parts of the car :)

So, am I correct I. Understanding that this stuff is some sort of two part epoxy coating?
It's not epoxy as such. It's a polyurethane coating - you don't need to add the hardener technically, but it speeds up the dry time from ~1 week to ~1 hour. :) You can buy polyurethane glues from Bunnings and they're pretty cool stuff. You can also add (clean) white sand to the mix if you want a non-slip surface for your liner. If I was to say, do a whole shell I'd mix in sand to the mix for the underside and footwells. :)

Also, what parts of the car? ;) Shes so purrdy! :rolleyes:

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sun May 19, 2013 8:09 pm

So you finally did it!

Looks good man, the dimpled effect looks really good on the actual tray part especially.

Good luck finding the tail gate flashing :( the only one I've found is on a whole Brumby at a wreckers near me, and they won't sell me the chrome alone. Actually contemplating buying the whole shebang when I have the money if it's relatively rust free.
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'89 Brumby "Brumbylicious"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester
'14 Forester Luxury (My goodness is it schmick!)

Post by 60766244 » Mon May 20, 2013 11:28 am

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:So you finally did it!

Looks good man, the dimpled effect looks really good on the actual tray part especially.

Good luck finding the tail gate flashing :( the only one I've found is on a whole Brumby at a wreckers near me, and they won't sell me the chrome alone. Actually contemplating buying the whole shebang when I have the money if it's relatively rust free.
I will find the chrome! Oneday! ;) ;) ;)

Otherwise I will find an alternative.......

I couldn't stand to put a Tonneau on it since the spray. Like looking at it too much! :rolleyes:

P.S. When I started the car up and went to back her out she ran incredibly rough, like she couldn't breath. Once out on the road she was fine as usual. Turns out she doesn't like nasty fumes either. Hehe

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Mon May 20, 2013 4:56 pm

60766244 wrote:I will find the chrome! Oneday! ;) ;) ;)

Turns out she doesn't like nasty fumes either. Hehe
If I end up getting this little wreck I might consider selling you the flashing piece ;)

And I did some bogging today on the RX (the patch repair kind, not the other kind ;) ) and the fumes are such a pain
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Post by 60766244 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:37 pm

T.Farm.Brumby wrote:If I end up getting this little wreck I might consider selling you the flashing piece ;)
:D :D :D :D :D
T.Farm.Brumby wrote:And I did some bogging today on the RX (the patch repair kind, not the other kind ;) ) and the fumes are such a pain
I highly recommend you get a respirator with removable cartridges. I got one from Bunnings for $50 (they come with 3 cartridges, need 2 at a time and the cartridges cost $9 new so epic deal)

Using mine during the spray saved me. I couldn't smell or taste any of the fumes. :)

T.Farm.Brumby

Post by T.Farm.Brumby » Sat May 25, 2013 8:27 pm

60766244 wrote: Using mine during the spray saved me. I couldn't smell or taste any of the fumes. :)
Well bully for you haha.

I'll grab a setup for when/if I respray the RX/project Brumby I'll be getting
All The Rigs:

'86 RX Turbo "Thor"
'89 Brumby "Emma"
'03 Outback "Uma"
'05 Forester

Return to “Open Slather”