Australia Day

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
revmax

Australia Day

Post by revmax » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:32 pm

What does it mean to us. Most of us think about celebrating the day Australia was settled/or the poms arived but just have a think about how you feel when you hear about the "Boat People" trying to seek refuge in Austalia.
NOW have a look at the attached photo.
How do you feel, think about it.
Attachments
Problem with boat people.jpg
Problem with boat people.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 3819 times
"THE BRUMBY ! , Your not taking the Brumby I just dry cleaned the mud flaps."
Current
00 Outback with class, SOHC EJ25 auto 240,068ks
"B1" 90 Brumby with character 271,800K EA81 (But soon 5speed,103,000k EJ202)
"B2" wrecked and crushed
"B3" 89 Bush Bashing Brumby (BeeRumBee) Kept a Bucca
"B4" 89 Black Brumby (wam balam ) Kept at Kempsey
"B5" 92 Brumby (sold it)
"B6" 88 Beige Brumby
"W1" 83 wagon 308,000 AC and alot of rust repairs. (Wanda)
Brumby Trailer (Sulky)
LUV THAT BRUM !
RevMax Hobbies

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:04 pm

Hi Revmax,

I, for one, wasn't born in this great country... I'm not exactly "boat people", maybe "plane people", but same-same. Got here 7 years ago.

Nevertheless, now call Australia home! I reckon it's just about the best country in the world to live in. I've been lucky to have the country choosing me too and got my citizenship almost 2 years ago.

To me, Australia Day is a celebration of the community, our community. It's the day to enjoy a good BBQ, listen to the Triple J Hottest 100 on the radio and just be merry to each other. Australia is what it is in part because of its diversity. It's this mix of cultures, beliefs and points of view that make this place such a great place.

Sure, there are wrongs that need to be made right - with Aboriginal people and others. I trust we're heading the right way. We can't change the past, so we benefit more from looking into the future and making sure we don't make the same mistakes again.

If I had to summarise Australia in one sentence, it would have to be "the land of the fair go". We need to keep ensuring all have access to that!

Happy belated Australia Day to Aussies old and new!
Pedro.

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

Bantum
General Member

Our New Flag ...

Post by Bantum » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Here is what I had some thoughts on ;

Note : This is a draft composite of other flags that I like, but put together here ...

More info :
  • Usual Southern Cross on Blue background - The constellation indicates the geography of our place in the southern hemisphere.
  • Commonnwealth star on Black background - Represents our national unity, with six points for the states and one point for the territories, backgroud colour in recognition of our aboriginal heritage.
  • Boomerang shapped, Red with White strip empennage - A heavily stylised Union Jack in acknowledgement of our ties with the 'mother' country and this great land + its future directions.
  • Yellow Dot Track - Life force & wanderings of the everyday Australian.
Enjoy, Bantum ... :D

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 pm

What a stupid fcuking argument, Cook, Van Diemen etc were discovering a new world and looking for new lands to establish, they came across a completely undeveloped country with very few inhabitants, what were they supposed to do? they were not running from a regime that is evil or out to fund a terrorist organisation.

Are you saying they should have just turned away? What about the Americas when they were taken over by the British and Spanish? should they have turned away also?

That's the way it was back then, get over it and get on with it because living in the past will not cure today's problems!
98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 pm

Bantum wrote:Here is what I had some thoughts on ;

Note : This is a draft composite of other flags that I like, but put together here ...

More info :
  • Usual Southern Cross on Blue background - The constellation indicates the geography of our place in the southern hemisphere.
  • Commonnwealth star on Black background - Represents our national unity, with six points for the states and one point for the territories, backgroud colour in recognition of our aboriginal heritage.
  • Boomerang shapped, Red with White strip empennage - A heavily stylised Union Jack in acknowledgement of our ties with the 'mother' country and this great land + its future directions.
  • Yellow Dot Track - Life force & wanderings of the everyday Australian.
Enjoy, Bantum ... :D
Nothing wrong with the flag we have.

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Careful kids lest we start a race riot on AUsubaru.

We are all Australian regardless of race, colour or creed (Not an Australian saying by the way) and we all deserve a "fair suck of the savloy" (what ever that means)

Be thankful we have country people want to be refugees in (again) I remember learning that after the last war to end all wars most of Europe came here as refugees of one sort / form or another.

Without these people would we be as diverse as we are today?

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:25 pm

Let me tell you about my AU day

Daughter needs a desk, onto gumtree, trailer hitched we go out to one of Adelaide's 'less desirable' suburbs.

Pull up out the front - there a 4 cars on the lawn, kids running around, and this food smell which could only described a god sent. Turned out to be (loosely translated) as goat curry.

Turned out they were refugees from Afganastain, she a nurse and mother of 4, he a tiler/builder. Escaped the Taliban for assisting orphaned kids from the wrong tribe.

We ended up staying for 2 hours, them sharing their lunch with us (sitting on the floor), me telling them about Australia, daughter playing with the kids, and showing off the house that he was feverishly renovating (after his cleaning job during the day) with members from the community.

At the end, felt humbled and lucky, and they refused payment for the desk.

That is pretty Aussie in my book!
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

jims

Post by jims » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Sven, thanks for sharing that. Really nice to hear :)

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Sven thats excellent :)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm

before svens great story i was going to play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

:);) just to lighten up the topic
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

Post by 60766244 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:51 pm

I think people should be allowed to immigrate sure, but I don't think multiculturalism is the answer, more, integrationism - add to the Aussie culture and be one with it, but don't try be here and stay stand-alone to our ways, or try mess with how the good things are - there's reasons people come here. :)

My grandpa came here from Germany straight after the war as a young man who just finished a bankers apprenticeship and married an Aussie lady and kicked off the Aussie Werny clan, and it's great. I love this land.

I think everyone should be treated equally, no tax breaks, hand outs, or anything extra for any "special" brand of people, whether they're white, coloured, native or foreign.

If everyone was put on the same level field in this country, then exceptionalism and special treatment would be gone and decency would prevail.

I judge people by their actions, not by their parentage or looks.

The flag should stay as it is. As with our anthem.

And, if the Dutch and English hadn't found the place, then surely some other nation would have, and who know's what would have happened. If the Chinese has found it, there would have been a much more full-on outcome historically...
But, I firmly think, if you don't love this place, leave. :)
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

sven '2'
General Member

Post by sven '2' » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:53 pm

thunder039 wrote:before svens great story i was going to play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI

:);) just to lighten up the topic
Still funny!!
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:35 pm

60766244 wrote:I think people should be allowed to immigrate sure, but I don't think multiculturalism is the answer, more, integrationism - add to the Aussie culture and be one with it, but don't try be here and stay stand-alone to our ways, or try mess with how the good things are - there's reasons people come here. :)

My grandpa came here from Germany straight after the war as a young man who just finished a bankers apprenticeship and married an Aussie lady and kicked off the Aussie Werny clan, and it's great. I love this land.

I think everyone should be treated equally, no tax breaks, hand outs, or anything extra for any "special" brand of people, whether they're white, coloured, native or foreign.

If everyone was put on the same level field in this country, then exceptionalism and special treatment would be gone and decency would prevail.

I judge people by their actions, not by their parentage or looks.

The flag should stay as it is. As with our anthem.

And, if the Dutch and English hadn't found the place, then surely some other nation would have, and who know's what would have happened. If the Chinese has found it, there would have been a much more full-on outcome historically...
But, I firmly think, if you don't love this place, leave. :)
Well said, a little too much "political correctness" around here, everyone seems too scared to stand up for their own country for fear of upsetting someone, like you said, if you don't like it then fcuk off.

taza
General Member

Post by taza » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:40 pm

60766244 Well bloody said!

pezimm

Post by pezimm » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:08 pm

60766244, couldn't agree more!

GONE :( - Forester XT Auto - MY07 with all the goodies
Now occasionally driving a Ford barge...

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Well, it's been said before - 60766244 that's well said!

I still love this:

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

Post by 60766244 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:26 pm

Shucks guys.

Saying it as I see it.
Otter the 2004 Outback with all the fruit.
Possible Improvements: Rigid 12db Phone Aerial Fitted, Air-compressor w/ Hose & Air-Tank, Jerry Holders, Lift, Nudgebar and Spots?

|| Ausubaru Wiki: New AUSubaru Wiki, About the Wiki || My Ex, Maple the Brumby, Rack, Lift Kit, Raptor-Liner Tray || Shed: Benches ||

Return to “Open Slather”