AWD beginners' course for Forester

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
pitrack_1

AWD beginners' course for Forester

Post by pitrack_1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:01 am

Hi all,

I'm considering a beginner's AWD course for an idea of the Forester's capabilities before I go trying things or tagging along with someone. I'm comfortable with FWD on dirt, I'm sure I can get the AWD further and deeper...into trouble! Any opinions on the following courses/operators? In particular Getabout's course in Canberra is on this weekend.

Follow me 4wd AWD training 1day South Aust $495
Australian 4x4 Driver Training AWD Course 1day Lithgow $245
voyager4x4adventures Drive AWD/4WD vehicles on unsealed roads 1day Lithgow $350
Getabout Training Services 4WD Training for All Wheel Drive 1day Canberra $345
Murcotts Introduction To Safe 4WD / AWD Operation 1day $440

Any hints/tips?

Many thanks!
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

stilson

Post by stilson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm

It's all bullshit. Go and get bogged on the beach while the tides out.

Seriously your car is a lot different to "real 4wds" like these courses are aimed at. Try and go on an out ing with your local Subaru club and they will share their knowledge for free.

If you can do it offroad in FWD you will have no probs with AWD.

Offroadsubarus.com might be worth a look too.
MY08 SG9 XS LUX

********* performance sump and diff guards.

thunder039

Post by thunder039 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm

i agree save your money, go join a club they will do beginner days and build up slowly
or go out by yourself or with some mates and do some easy gravel roads and build up slowly to get a feel for the car
2004 subaru forester -gone
1999 subaru forester- no more :(
1989 subaru brumby- sold!
2008 zook jimny -sold!
2003 mitsubishi pajero - missus car
2013 nissan d22- set up for long distant touring

purp

Post by purp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:53 pm

I am very interested to know how good those AWD specific courses are - but they sure seem like a lot of $$$ for the time. For that money you could find someone with a land cruiser and a winch, and pay for their fuel to follow you round while you learn your limits...

stilson

Post by stilson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:18 pm

60% of what they teach you will not be relevant to your vehicle. But they will still want 100% of the price.
MY08 SG9 XS LUX

********* performance sump and diff guards.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:01 pm

As already said, ask a couple of forum members in your area as they'll probably be more than willing to help you out and will be able to offer you some great advice that's specific to your subi.

And you won't get that old thing of "you'll need a proper 4wd if you want to do any decent offroading" speal!

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

pitrack_1

Post by pitrack_1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:23 am

Thanks for the replies all,

these are actual 'soft-roader' tailored courses not 4WD. I'm just trying to minimise the "wait-for-me!"/ "rescue me!" effect on others. :-)

Any pointers for the ACT area, esp Subaru clubs? Will have to chase up some locals...

As I'm likely to have a 16month old infant along with me on my little day trips (and probably on Fridays too) we'd probably be on our own whilst practising so will have to pull my head in from younger days' antics below.

As for FWD, I did overtake a Landcruiser once in the rain on the Wolgan Road to Newnes in my Pulsar. That had some really good clay mud sections, if you didn't take a run up at it and stay on the crown you didn't make it across. Plastered enough clay onto my downpipe from that run that it's still there as a pseudo-ceramic coating 15 years later :-)

Forded the Newnes river in the Pulsar too- river was low, but had to avoid the churned up sections so I needed to walk it first. Wound up some of the 4WD 'heavies' who thought that river crossing was real 4WDing. Upset them when they found a Pulsar, 626 (RWD) and a Festiva all camping on the other side of the river. The real problem for me was ascending the river banks. Similar on the Newnes Plateau above Wolgan Gorge, nothing like a Pulsar motoring the other way to put a surprised look on a (supposed) 4WDer.
Patrick
Ex- 2010 Forester Diesel

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 am

Not sure what you have over in the ACT in the way of Subaru Adventure Trips but if you see one, I'd recommend you try and join in. It's really good to get out and learn more about your car and it's capabilities. Doing this with others in Subaru's makes it more fun. If you can't join in a trip with the Subi boys, then I would take one of these 'AWD softroader' courses, as these can give you a good basic idea of what you need (recovery gear and other stuff) in the car. It does help those who have never been out there and like anything, first time can be nerve racking. Go for it and let us know how you go.. oh and pictures are a must :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:16 pm

Those fees would go better towards a tow truck outta your bogged situation -f the need ever arises.

Surely the basics are ground clearance, surface and incline

Our subies don't have much in the way of ground clearance ( so shoot me) so you don't go dropping wheels in holes too deep, surface traction has a bit to deal with tyres tread and condition and it is all experimental. I take the chicken option most times and when feeling like getting stuck - GUN it :)

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm

purp wrote:I am very interested to know how good those AWD specific courses are - but they sure seem like a lot of $$$ for the time. For that money you could find someone with a land cruiser and a winch, and pay for their fuel to follow you round while you learn your limits...
Haha, yes indeed!

Return to “Open Slather”