I've become one of 'those' statistics

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

I've become one of 'those' statistics

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:44 pm

YEP, I have had my very own Kodak moment allegation from a mounted speed and red light camera.

Was getting a bit annoyed as I have never done more than 60 past this camera, the allegation is a neat 70.

$162 and one point

Then I got lookin' and thought..... the plates are of my L Sedan that has not been on the road since early June this year due to no rego and date of offence was 23 Nov this year !

The plates are not even on the car - locked away safely with the keys locked away safely in another spot.

Human error in this case??

dwayneb

Post by dwayneb » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:35 pm

did you get a copy of the picture? if so and you can prove it wasn't your car, you should be able to have this overturned
Back in a Subaru, 03 Forester XS:D

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Get photo proof that it is your car / not your car in the picture. if it has been off the road since June without rego I'm pretty sure you have a good case. Unless of course those pesky kids down the street, took your car for a joyride when you were out:)

PS when it cools down a bit I will get into the boot of Jetcar and pull the ECU.

:)

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:39 pm

I got a $200 speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago in my daily brumby, then a week ago got another $200 ticket in my turbo brumby. Wow! a matching pair!! Wife knows about the first one which has been paid, second one I'm keeping a secret. Policeman was on his own in an unmarked black lancer and he was like a robot, a real scream.

What hurts most...I'm an ex Police Sergeant from Qld, but don't remember booking any subaru's...see what you have done to me.....Oh and don't tell the missus. I told the first mob that they were only twenty bucks when I wrote them out. They didn't see the funny side. Soooo...six points down the drain just before Xmas...Yippee..I'm real impressed. Not game to go out and drive anywhere at the moment...Sh......ting myself.
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm

steptoe wrote:YEP, I have had my very own Kodak moment allegation from a mounted speed and red light camera.

Was getting a bit annoyed as I have never done more than 60 past this camera, the allegation is a neat 70.

$162 and one point

Then I got lookin' and thought..... the plates are of my L Sedan that has not been on the road since early June this year due to no rego and date of offence was 23 Nov this year !

The plates are not even on the car - locked away safely with the keys locked away safely in another spot.

Human error in this case??
Get the photo proof and fight it Jonno if thats the case

subybrumby wrote:I got a $200 speeding ticket a couple of weeks ago in my daily brumby, then a week ago got another $200 ticket in my turbo brumby. Wow! a matching pair!! Wife knows about the first one which has been paid, second one I'm keeping a secret. Policeman was on his own in an unmarked black lancer and he was like a robot, a real scream.

What hurts most...I'm an ex Police Sergeant from Qld, but don't remember booking any subaru's...see what you have done to me.....Oh and don't tell the missus. I told the first mob that they were only twenty bucks when I wrote them out. They didn't see the funny side. Soooo...six points down the drain just before Xmas...Yippee..I'm real impressed. Not game to go out and drive anywhere at the moment...Sh......ting myself.
Trev, thats nearly funny, but the points and if wifey ever sees your bank statement....
ImageImageImageImageImage
GRAB THE VIN FROM DONOR VEHICLES
AUSubaru member specials
Brumby EA81 Oil Pump kit (4 x 'o'rings + gasket) posted Australia wide $22!
Brumby sloppy shifter bush kit $44 posted
email me
http://www.domsmotors.com.au
NOW DISTRIBUTING FOR SUBAXTREME BASH PLATES, NUDGE AND BULLBARS

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:39 pm

fight it, then theyll proabably just correct it to when it actually happened.

am i understanding correctly that they just stuffed up the date? or have your plates actually been stolen and put onto another car?
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Mick2642

Post by Mick2642 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:00 pm

I once got a speeding ticket in the mail. It was from Sydney and was a month old. I haven't even been to Sydney for years. Turns out that human error was to blame, and they missed a number off the plate of the car caught on camera, and that was the same rego as my motorcycle. Fought it, no worries. Unusual for a P-plater to beat a speeding ticket, must be a special talent since I've gotten off 2 others from the local constabulary. ;)
Sign here... :twisted:

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Well Frog unfortunately its true and not much I can do about it..I'm not particularly happy about it..but there you go...first ticket was a shock...second one I was just stunned,,couldn't believe it...
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Yeah they are not nice to recieve I did a trip to Sydney from Griffith to meet with Dad
got flashed once in Sydney and then twice on the way home
all my own fault in an unfamiliar car , just stupid , nearly ran off the road with the third flash cursing myself, lost a couple of points with that trip. Was nice to see Dad though lol
AUSubaru member specials
email me

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Ooh yeah, FROG - a hat trick! And Trevor, reminds me of a dumb blonde (yes, really dumb, really blonde) copped a ticket going into town, then another on the way out - she sort of fired up the second highway boy in his leathers by yelling out SNAP as she sprung out the first one as he served the second !!

AlerteGPS on your wish lists this year boys?

Got reading a little further to find that I could go in to the RTA office , show ID to view the pic - but only after the rather officous woman looking at it with monitor back facing me.

" Do you drive a Subaru"

thinks to meself "I drive a few"
"yes, but I have already told you the car is not registered, has not been driven in six months and the number plates with LPG diamonds are not on it, what have you got there?"

"What colour?" she asks - in my eyes she is lookin' smuglier

" Flare Red" (thanks FROG) 247? I nearly added :)

Guys, come and help me wipe that effin' smug look off her face - you can just see she thinks I am trying to wriggle out of a speeding fine and being sprung for unregistered uninsured - must have seen it all before.

Finally she gives me a look at this maroon hatchback Impreza RV circa 2004

PHEW !!

Its plate has a towball obscuring the lower part of what must be an upper case C as the third letter. Mine is a G , still safely locked away.

The pics were pretty good definition and zoomed in nicely on the car and then the plate in colour too!

Shoulda taken me camera to sneak a pic.

She goes away and comes back with a stat dec for me to sign - needing to chase up a JP as well. Phuc that.

Mrs Smugly still sort of didn't believe me. Like , STUPID, why don't you go look up the other rego number and see if it remotely matches the car in the photo - anyway??

"Oh, a senior manager will have to review the case when you submit your letter and stat dec"

PIGSARSE (to self) Please go get a person from tech standards that can tell the difference between an 86 Subaru L Series Sedan and that millenium hatchback !! She disappears without another word. Ten minutes later returns with a copy of a letter of apology calling it a processing error, signed by the manager.

Another thing that shitted me was the date of service of the notice was 05DEC2011 today - I got it in the mail on 02DEC2011

And another - quotes "authorised person" and a number. Turns out there is no human vetting involved so the AP is just a friggin' bluff

Smug look gone :D :D :D

the results are gonna make someone elses Christmas.

Oh, a good reminder too that road safety campaigns have begun with increased police prescence on our roadsides leading up operation bluff over the break where we will be led to believe the initial hard hitting campaign has continued.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 am

Good work Jonno, I bet you got your satisfaction after the inconvenience of having to deal with the whole thing to begin with.

And the chance of your rego being for a subaru and the vehicle in the image a subaru too - classic!

If I'm going to wear a speeding ticket I'd much prefer it from an officer that's pulled me over for speeding at the time that I was speeding, although the last time it happened when I think back on it I reckon he did a dodgy and held his last recorded speed from the 110km/h limited freeway, then pinged me for 116km/h UP A HILL with the EA82. I admitted to doing 110km/h but 116km/h was out of the question!

Anyway, wrote to the victorian civic compliance centre and got off that one. Been clean ever since thankfully.

Careful driving is the key, and I'm not talking about speeding "carefully"...

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Been thinking, I wonder if we human motorists can get off, just once, with the excuse ' processing error" on our part?

Yeah, that was satisfaction PLUS+ I gotta say

I guess I could have attached plates to my GLTA, taken a pic and taken it in with me !

FROG
General Member

Post by FROG » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:55 pm

[quote="steptoe"]
Yeah, that was satisfaction PLUS+ I gotta say

[quote]

I enjoyed it almost as much as you Jonno :D
AUSubaru member specials
email me

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 pm

I bet she didn't like that one little bit.

as for speeding in W.A. I'm pretty sure this article sums it up.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western ... 6214107557

not to mention the one in the West Australian (I can't find it online) about how a section of freeway near perth has already earnt the police 3 million in speeding fines :(

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:06 pm

My apologies to Steptoe and hope I am not hijacking his thread. But lets open up a stubbie and pull up a stool and I could really vent my spleen about this. First there is no doubt that if you had the funds and mounted a strong defence, a lot of speeding fines could probably be overturned. In the case here at Toowoomba, there have been a lot of fatal accidents in the area and no doubt the boys have been told to get out there and get tickets. Its the usual response. When the big guns up top ask what is being done about the high fatality incidence in the Toowoomba region, the person whose head is on the block will trot out the high number of tickets being issued and state that his men are out there doing the job. Its a typical response and a career saver. Now I will have a quick $400 rant if you please.

I was in the Qld Police for 15yrs and at one time held the position of Superintendent of Traffic. I adjudicated on traffic matters and also have done a small bit of prosecuting in the courts. That's my credentials. I resigned as a Sergeant in 1990 aged 34 to pursue business interests as they say. I also wrote a lot of traffic tickets for all sorts of things. I also let a lot of people off for many reasons but usually it was either a petty thing or for some reason or a good excuse was offered. That is not the case now. After the Fitzgerald inquiriy here they formed the Police Integrity Unit. Now if a Police Officer were to let someone off, then there must be something untoward going on in their eyes. So I suspect each officer is obliged to write the ticket and if he doesn't, his co officer is obliged to report that he hasn't to the boss. I have had a few tickets since I left the force and have not been let off once.

This Government in Qld also has an insatiable hunger for revenue and I believe as most would, that much of what is going on is revenue raising. In effect, my letting the car have its head and rolling down a hill, not under power and going at 73klm on a wide three lane road that for some reason is zoned 60 in a rural acreage area of Toowoomba, and then getting fined $200...ok... $200...not 60 or 70 or $90...$200 bloody dollars is not going to prevent somebody killing themselves on the highway on the other side of the city. Another thing is the monetary value of the fine. This is not a new perspective and has been raised before. What constitutes a penalty. Is $200 going to be a heavy penalty for a millionaire, or a wealthy businessman, average joe blow or a person on the dole. What is so important about the amount of $200. Has someone thrown a dart at a board in the treasury department and come up with this figure. If I was battling with a house mortgage and six kids, just before Christmas and probably just been retrenched, it would be devastating. If I was single and had shares and was quite wealthy, then I would reach for the $200 and shrug my shoulders about it. So we are applying differing degrees of penalty impact on drivers depending on their financial state in life and not for any other reason. I feel sorry for the families involved in those fatalities but the answer is not an outright blitz on the pockets of ordinary everyday people going about their business in the city. Bear in mind too that Traffic Police are ideal for this revenue raising program. All the ones that I knew were most zealous and nigh on wet their pants when they got someone. They love it.

Finally, as an old Police Inspector boss of mine once told a gathering of those of us who were in charge of stations...."bring me quality and not quantity." In other words don't bring me 300 tickets of old men and ladies not puting on their indicator or some piddly thing but give me 20 tickets that were actual quality such as 100klm in a 60 zone or someone cutting up the streets and acting like a dork. In other words people who have a predetermined intention to flaut the law and not citizens who have inadvertently but not dangereously breached the traffic acts and regs. Now this inspector who I greatly admired and respected had a very good reason for this. He wanted to keep the average joe blow public on side and on good terms with the police. He had been a past homicide investigator and knew that good currency was the knowledge and good rapport that could be cultivated between the police and the public. But how often do we see that being destroyed by over zealous police officers.

My rant is over!!!

Mick2642

Post by Mick2642 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Again, it's good for me to know I'm in the right and know the rules, by not being stupid. My reasoning is, do no wrong, pay no price, but once again I have a P-for-pull-over plate and ride a bike most places. Easy Prey (they think) :cool:.

An example (true tale). You know the signs before corners with the recommended speed and corner direction, well here I go through this turn, sensibly (as one can only be with an EA81) and about 30 secs after the turn, I see that all-too familiar white Nissan Patrol with some gear on the roof, gaining on me rather hastily. The cop was only a young bloke (as far as rural-town Police Officers go) and tried to book me!

No Dice. :twisted:
Sign here... :twisted:

Silverbullet

Post by Silverbullet » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:30 pm

I haven't had a speeding ticket, parking fine yes but that's different.

I hear people complaining about cameras everywhere and revenue raising blah blah blah (on tv mainly) but the last few weeks or months I've been driving 60k's every day, I've noticed almost everyone speeds. Not just the commonwhore P platers but everyone!
Eg, on the way to work there's quite a long downhill stretch ending in a really steep bit (Adelaidians will know it as flagstaff hill :p) It's a 70 zone from the top to where the steep bit starts. I can stay in 4th, take my foot off the gas and coast down the hill not going 1 k above 70, and with that I get tailgated all the way down, overtaken aggresively etc etc by everyone else going 80 consistently. Same thing happens when it changes to 60, everyone doing 70 and I'm holding them up. Doesn't matter what time of day it is.

Another one, on south road it's not too bad but when you get to the Anzac hwy underpass the speed limit seems to magically change to 70 or sometimes 80. And again there's me being tailgated by every car on the road when I'm doing 60 in a 60 zone :-x

I find I can stay exactly on the speed limit in any given zone even on a down slope if I just take my foot off the accelerator, and everyone else tailgates and over takes me and complains about speeding tickets to channel 7.

Is it really that hard to take your foot off the gas once in a while?? :???:
There's my rant :-D

I'm not having a go at anyone on here, but when people go on tv and complain about revenue raising and too many speed cameras it annoys me a bit when they tailgate and overtake me in a 60 zone when I'm doing 60 :???:

Oh but I laugh at them when we're all stopped at the same traffic lights anyway hehe
Will it ever end!?
-EA81 TWIN CARB!!!!
-L series 5 speed
-Custom paint job
-2" lift
-Full custom re-wire
-L series front end

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Hey that's fine. Did I speed? yes. Will I pay? Yes. Will I be more careful? yes. Am I happy? No. Have I inadvertently exceeded the limit around town unknowlingly since? Yes.

Maybe I shouldn't have posted here but its just something I wanted to get off my chest..I'm happier now. Thanks.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Rant read trev, and no hijacking , this is a perfect rant thread.

Another argument against means rated fines could be the low income eaners may get away with low fines and may not be discouraged enough not to repeat the offences.

Gone are the days when the boss tells his new kids that book anyone under 15k over the limit and he'll kick their arse!

It is revenue mate! That camera that got my look-a-like plate is near a million bucks a year. Road accident death tolls are reported by calendar year, fine revenue is fiscal year , so six months apart 'they' don't get asked why the corelation between the two , surely if revenue rises and death toll stays steady or rises too - the fines are not working to do what we are 'lead to believe ' they are to do

I think 35 40 years ago with 12 million population we had much bigger death toll than we do today - according to the radio motoring jocks.

Then we were in bassinettes on the back floor, only some cars had lap sash belts in the front that got sloppy due to buckle adjustment. Too many drove home or on holidays too pissed, drum brakes on the front, 155/80 13 cross ply tyres, poo roads.....

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:45 pm

Aw Trev, just remembered a story an old cocky used to tell of how he was pulled over by a new recruit - speeding. He shoves his old 'Cruiser in low4 and tells the boy in blue to take the thing for a drive to see if he can get it over 100kph , only way he would wear the fine. Claims boy tried and no fine issued :)

Return to “Open Slather”