Brisbane flood alert

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Captain Obvious
General Member

Brisbane flood alert

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:42 pm

Hope all our Brisbane and areas members are doing ok looks like its going to be a bad one down there the next few days!!
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:12 pm

How are you goin for food Bryan.We managed to get some supplies yesterday and what about fuel?
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

dibs

Post by dibs » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:12 pm

same from us at glassy i hope it stops soon
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

INEEDABEER

Post by INEEDABEER » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Does anyone know how Trevor at Toowoomba is getting on after yesterdays mess?
]Hey I know Jack Schitte!
[/SIZE]

Gannon

Post by Gannon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Just watching it on 7pm Project, its simply gob smacking. Those poor families, both those who have lost their homes and possessions, and even more, those who have lost family members or friends.

Ive never seen anything like it in Australia.

On a lighter note, here is a clip of a Forester caught up in the water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins
Current rides: 2016 Mitsubishi Triton GLS & 2004 Forester X
Ongoing Project/Toy: 1987 RX Turbo EA82T, Speeduino ECU, Coil-pack ignition, 440cc Injectors, KONI adjustale front struts, Hybrid L Series/ Liberty AWD 5sp
Past rides: 92 L series turbo converted wagon, 83 Leone GL Sedan, 2004 Liberty GT Sedan & 2001 Outback
------------------------------------------

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Yeah we are ok gav stocked up yesterday as well and filled the cars!

rtcb65
General Member

Post by rtcb65 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:27 pm

Suparoo wrote:Just watching it on 7pm Project, its simply gob smacking. Those poor families, both those who have lost their homes and possessions, and even more, those who have lost family members or friends.

Ive never seen anything like it in Australia.

On a lighter note, here is a clip of a Forester caught up in the water
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins
That so true. I havent lost family in the floods, but in the earily 90's,, the house i was in went under water to the gutters. It not nice to be caught like that.
rtcb65
------------------
Redneck Rick.

1997 Gen 3 outback. GT forester wheels . Hopefully more changes to come. Proud Supporter And User of -----------C R O S S B R E D --- P E R F O R M A N C E ---- Products

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:11 pm

Trevor from Toowoomba here. Thanks for the concern but I actually live at Highfields which is about 10klm north of Toowoomba and a bit higher on the Crows Nest road. We copped the rain but it all got away ok so we are pretty well sittin tight. My wife's sisters car is one of the ones bobbing down east creek in Toowoomba so its totally lost. Its a mitsubisha magna and is probably one of the ones now jammed under the bridge in Ruthven street, if not, its on its way to the Murray. My eldest son saw the whole thing whilst shopping in town yesterday and is still shocked at the carnage that he saw.

As I work for the council, I was part of the cleanup crew today and I was driving a large John deere tractor with front bucket loader. The force of the water has been unbelieveable and I will get some photos for you tomorrow. Concrete rubbish bins and picnic tables have been destroyed and removed off their mounting slabs and forced up to 60metres plus through the parks. It took 6 of us to lift one of the table tops onto a truck yet the water had carried it quite some distance along the grass. Footbridges across these creeks have been destroyed and most that remain have the pipe railing broken and flattened over from the force of the debris.

Those that know Toowoomba may realise that it actually sits in an old volcanic crater and has two creeks that drain to the south and meet up and form one creek called Gowrie Creek. These two creeks, east and west creek sit on Toowoomba like the letter Y and the town centre is actually built across the area where the two meet. (That was smart) The original town was to the south outside this crater in an area called Drayton. The present town of Toowoomba was an area called the swamp and was drained to create the area where Toowoomba now stands. Both the creeks in Toowoomba are actually spoon drains and the water eventually drains back to the west towards Oakey and then the Condamine river. News reports are misleading people saying that the water that flowed thu the centre of Toowoomba then came down throught the lockyer valley and on to Gatton. That is not correct. The top of the range at Toowoomba is actually part of the Great Dividing Range and the water to the west of it goes off to the Murray River System. The water that is affecting Gatton and the Lockyer Valley is coming from all the rain that fell on the eastern side of the escarpment. Same storm but different destination. Thought I would point that out because it gives the impression that those cars and the water through the centre of Toowoomba went down through Grantham etc. Not so. Will try to post some damage photos tomorrow if you like.

Cheers (Oh and both my brumbies are in a shed here dry and safe).
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

littlewhiteute

Post by littlewhiteute » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:00 pm

I evacuated my sister from her Jindalee home tonight, she'll be with me for a while, the prediction is her home will be under to the second floor by Wednesday night / Thursday.

We brought as much as we could, but the big furniture will be lost. :(:(
Regards

Gary ;)

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:09 pm

Captain Obvious wrote:Hope all our Brisbane and areas members are doing ok looks like its going to be a bad one down there the next few days!!
Wife & I got trapped at Bellmere (suburb of Caboolture) today for a couple of hours whilst we were babysitting the Grandson.
Once the water dropped at the bridge over the Caboolture River on Bellmere Rd we made a bee-line for the SSC seeing as our daughter and her family were safe.
Peter

RSR 555
Elder Member

Post by RSR 555 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:18 am

subybrumby wrote:Trevor from Toowoomba here. Thanks for the concern but I actually live at Highfields which is about 10klm north of Toowoomba and a bit higher on the Crows Nest road. We copped the rain but it all got away ok so we are pretty well sittin tight. My wife's sisters car is one of the ones bobbing down east creek in Toowoomba so its totally lost. Its a mitsubisha magna and is probably one of the ones now jammed under the bridge in Ruthven street, if not, its on its way to the Murray. My eldest son saw the whole thing whilst shopping in town yesterday and is still shocked at the carnage that he saw.

As I work for the council, I was part of the cleanup crew today and I was driving a large John deere tractor with front bucket loader. The force of the water has been unbelieveable and I will get some photos for you tomorrow. Concrete rubbish bins and picnic tables have been destroyed and removed off their mounting slabs and forced up to 60metres plus through the parks. It took 6 of us to lift one of the table tops onto a truck yet the water had carried it quite some distance along the grass. Footbridges across these creeks have been destroyed and most that remain have the pipe railing broken and flattened over from the force of the debris.

Those that know Toowoomba may realise that it actually sits in an old volcanic crater and has two creeks that drain to the south and meet up and form one creek called Gowrie Creek. These two creeks, east and west creek sit on Toowoomba like the letter Y and the town centre is actually built across the area where the two meet. (That was smart) The original town was to the south outside this crater in an area called Drayton. The present town of Toowoomba was an area called the swamp and was drained to create the area where Toowoomba now stands. Both the creeks in Toowoomba are actually spoon drains and the water eventually drains back to the west towards Oakey and then the Condamine river. News reports are misleading people saying that the water that flowed thu the centre of Toowoomba then came down throught the lockyer valley and on to Gatton. That is not correct. The top of the range at Toowoomba is actually part of the Great Dividing Range and the water to the west of it goes off to the Murray River System. The water that is affecting Gatton and the Lockyer Valley is coming from all the rain that fell on the eastern side of the escarpment. Same storm but different destination. Thought I would point that out because it gives the impression that those cars and the water through the centre of Toowoomba went down through Grantham etc. Not so. Will try to post some damage photos tomorrow if you like.

Cheers (Oh and both my brumbies are in a shed here dry and safe).
:o:o:o:o Glad to hear you're all good Trev and the Brumbys too :cool:
You know you are getting old when the candles on your birthday cake start to cost more than the cake itself.

RSR Performance
Home of the 'MURTAYA' in Oz
Subaru Impreza WRX based Sportscar
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Disclaimer: Not my website but hyperlink here to Subaru workshop manuals

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:22 am

So glad to hear you are safe Trevor.

Heard about this on the Radio early doors today as I drove south have still to see our news though. Felt numb and empty not knowing if you were gonna be OK.
Great to hear you are ok mate.
Our thoughts go out to all those effected there - floods are a shocking thing.
Hope you can get back to normality as soon as possible.

Best regards
Giles.:D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cheers
Giles.
*Scooby MV / Brumby - Current project & pet truck Weber Carby'd Ea81.Air/Con.4WDiscs.Speedliner tub. Foz seats. Digital Sound. Floodlit interior light. Cobra Security. Gear Shifter Lock + loadsa new parts.
SVX - Silky Sexy & Smooth - just like me ;)
GLF (MY series) Hatchy - "Project 2012"
*Fozzie 2.0 Forester Sport - Wifey's daily driver
*Ozzie Outback Diesel SE nav Spec 2012 MY 6 speeder - My daily driver
* 'Half Cut' Oz Brumby its now totally in bits !:mrgreen

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:03 am

To everyone affected by the flooding, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:58 pm

Well I just finished moving expensive / essential gear to the second level at work. I suspect we will only get about 6" through here but better safe than sorry. The water is only about 30m away though.

My boss' place at Yeronga is already up to the second level. He was a bit complacent about it all and now looks like he will lose everything. I can't believe this is really happening.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

dibs

Post by dibs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm

my cousin drove out a street hearing the noise of the water comented to his wife .looked in the mirror to see the wall of water go past.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

dibs

Post by dibs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Storage king has just put out an offer for those who live in Brisbane affected by floods for free storage, they have trucks and trailers available to help evacuate just call 1800storage.

Paste this on your page let's get the word around guys
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:19 pm

fark danger bad news for your boss!!!

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Hi all. Back again. Spent all of today directing traffic in the CBD of Toowoomba whilst shop owners were trying to clean out there businesses. I was right outside the coffee club in Margaret street which bore a lot of the overflow water from one of the main channels. I took some photos but can't find the lead I need to hook up to the computer. And they tossed out all their beer!!! Anyway I have made a link to the local paper here, the Toowoomba Chronicle and it carries quite a few snaps. Stay safe everyone and my thoughts are for the families in the Lockyer Valley, Grantham and all downstream to Brisbane.

http://www.thechronicle.com.au/photos/galleries/

Trevor
1989 Subaru Brumby - EA82T 5speed box. 4wheel disc, electric Windows plus other goodies.
Future Plans- Seat upgrade and Possible EJ20T implant.

Daily Driver Stock 1991 Brumby.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:46 pm

Absolutely gob smacking viewing on the telly.

One observation in comparing flooding of any magnitude to bushfires through towns or cities is that bushfires spare some properties for no apparent reason, but floods - gees they treat everyone on the same level, literally.

Having had some very close experience to the after effects of natural disaster I can see humans are very resilient and bounce back after the numbing days and weeks after - just get stuck into the clean up and repair and replacement of whatever possible.

What still seems to be pushed under the carpet and not in the media is the stats of those who do not cope - do not cope to the extent that they top themselves. This is something the huge recovering community need to watch out for in their peers

riksta

Post by riksta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi Trevor, glad that you are allright up there.

As the club Co Editor, I was wondering If you would mind if I could use your post about what you have gone through the last cupple days in the club mag.

I think others would like to have someone from up there tell us all just how you are going and the things you have seen.

Rik.

Rik.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Im now all grown up to an outback with a 2" lift and outback struts, ready to go off road and take on the world.

Return to “Open Slather”