removable fishing rod holders

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Alex
Elder Member

removable fishing rod holders

Post by Alex » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:16 pm

hey guys,

the missus and i are going to head up to exmouth next year (1200km) in my gen 3 liberty sedan.

my main problem is most of my rods are single piece and im not keen on having them poke thru the rear seat and up thru the centre console for a long trip, not only for comfort, but theyre pretty expensive and im not keen to crush any guides!

i am aware of the suction type holders as well as the magnetic type which all just stick to the roof.

has anyone used them before? are they safe? will they hang on at high speeds? (i dont plan on doing the 110km/hr limit the whole way, will probably be hitting the 130-140km/hr bracket)

any other options i should be looking at? ideas? not keen on roof racks for my ricer mobile.

i will be looking to carry 3 rods.

thanks dooodes.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 pm

I spose using the Patrol is out of the question (guessing comfort, fuel economy reasons? and not planning any 4x4ing?).
The suction ones look pretty decent, the claims on various websites seem to indicate they are pretty confident they will stay stuck on even above legal speed limits.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:57 pm

they work fine. i got a set, and never came off the car .

dunno where they are now but.

watch the dirt roads and the suction caps, as the dust collects and rubs through the paint

davo
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

lefty

Post by lefty » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:33 pm

I have the magnetic ones and they worked ok.
shat myself when I went over dawesville bridge and the strong crosswind moved it a bit.
MY05 Forester XT

Alex
Elder Member

Post by Alex » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:11 pm

thanks for the tips guys...

seems the magnetic ones might be better than suction ones...at least if a magnetic one moves abit, its likely to stick back down again, rather than a suction cap style which once the suction is gone, theres no coming back.

yeah andrew i dont really want to take the patrol, i have no doubt it will do it, but the comfort, fuel economy and cruisyness of the liberty is alot more appealing to me for a long trip.

alex
my07 Outback
my13 Hyundai i45(shhhh)
my02 Gen3 Liberty limited ed.

previously
L-series wagon, LSD, EJ20turbo, 29in tyres, 'wanky wagon'
2000 gen3 outback, lifted, otherwise stock.

Return to “Open Slather”