[VIC] Melways no more?

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
dfoyl

[VIC] Melways no more?

Post by dfoyl » Sun May 24, 2009 7:58 am

I heard a few weeks ago that Melways (Melbourne street directory) is not going to be published after this year, due to declining sales / most new cars coming fitted with a SatNav and a lot of people with existing cars retrofitting SatNav's.

Can anybody confirm/deny this ?

Dean.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun May 24, 2009 8:41 am

dfoyl wrote:I heard a few weeks ago that Melways (Melbourne street directory) is not going to be published after this year, due to declining sales / most new cars coming fitted with a SatNav and a lot of people with existing cars retrofitting SatNav's.

Can anybody confirm/deny this ?

Dean.
I find that hard to believe... there is still a lot of drivers out there would rather use melways, my father threw GPS out the window and used Melways.... I'd rather old books tales.. (sometimes GPS pisses me off as well hehe)
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Sun May 24, 2009 9:07 am

believe it. its not just melways. other states are doing the same thing.
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 25, 2009 10:33 am

I have heard similar rumours for other map makers but thought it was more not as often updates as before. It might stimulate people to update their paper map collection. I spotted a mid north coast & new england UBD marked down to 6.60 so grabbed it and discovered the mark down was an error - still got it at that price. Still to decide on a GPS unit too!!

Curious to now what brand GPS Alpine Raven Snr has thrown out

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 25, 2009 10:38 am

Guess I better grab a latest edition then... I prefer the maps than the GPS - easy to access, no need to rely on batteries, can be stored on a shelf for reference or in the car. And I haven't heard of anyone's vehicle being broken into for a map book...

How did you hear about this dean?

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Wed May 27, 2009 10:03 pm

>>How did you hear about this dean?

Through a family member, not sure where he got it from but I'm guessing from a map seller he deals with. I had a look on their website but there's nothing mentioned...

I did find this :

"THE PUBLISHER of cartographic icon the Melways has denied the advent of in-car digital GPS technology, is threatening the life of the 43-year old street directory.

Ausways – publisher of the Melways – says sales of its edition are strong, and that it has no intention of scaling back production, despite the rising use of portable GPS technology, which is now also built into many new mobile phones.

Earlier this week, Ausways rival Universal Publishing announced it would cease production of its Gregory and UBD hard copy street directories, unless sales improve.

Ausway marketing and development manager Brad Young said by comparison, it is seeing pressure on its print runs, after having its busiest month of sales for the year so far."
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Thu May 28, 2009 1:46 pm

I have both gps and melways in my car. I have been mislead by gps too many times to trust it fully, and zooming out to get a better view of surrounding roads is an annoying pain on gps units. I like to look at where im going on a real map first for the mental picture then use the gps as a guide.

Gps is a nice gimmick thats getting better but still has it's flaws. The speed camera warnings are nice and the main reason for me using it, if it saves you once it's probably payed off the unit.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu May 28, 2009 2:26 pm

daveosubi wrote:I have both gps and melways in my car. I have been mislead by gps too many times to trust it fully, and zooming out to get a better view of surrounding roads is an annoying pain on gps units. I like to look at where im going on a real map first for the mental picture then use the gps as a guide.

Gps is a nice gimmick thats getting better but still has it's flaws. The speed camera warnings are nice and the main reason for me using it, if it saves you once it's probably payed off the unit.

I agree, before i go on a trip i always get a rough idea of where i'm going. I've used GPS a few times, have came across to dead ends, gps wanted me to get on railway track once (said missed a turn go back etc real annoying and had to ask local ppl how to get there! And gps was still in wrong), also distance is longer what shld be, i.e. I live in Deer park, its quicker and shorter go via back roads instead of ring road. GPS is good reference guide but don't trust them. I rather old style.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Open Slather”