Oh, it's my ISP calling again !!!

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

Oh, it's my ISP calling again !!!

Post by steptoe » Fri May 08, 2009 1:20 pm

I have phonebooked my ISP's 'melbourne' number so to avoid further sales pitch and unbelievable offers, I don't answer.This time [thinking I'd fix them!] I got my Columbian friend to answer with instruction to "only speak Spanish, and I am not here"

Well waddayaknow, he carries on yabberin' away in espanol for ages - the other end speaks fluently too ! Phillipines!

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Fri May 08, 2009 5:00 pm

Thats pretty funny......... have you tried the "do not call register"?
Since I put us on it we get very few calls at all.
Before that I used to put the phone in front of the telly or the stereo speaker and just walk away, come back in a couple of minutes and they have hung up.
But the ones that really bugged me are the ones where they have a machine that hangs up when you answer, and its only to find out what time you will be home so a person can ring you later.
Once had a two day period where this went on every fifteen minutes or so, drove us mad!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Fri May 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Busdriver wrote:Thats pretty funny......... have you tried the "do not call register"?
Since I put us on it we get very few calls at all.
Before that I used to put the phone in front of the telly or the stereo speaker and just walk away, come back in a couple of minutes and they have hung up.
But the ones that really bugged me are the ones where they have a machine that hangs up when you answer, and its only to find out what time you will be home so a person can ring you later.
Once had a two day period where this went on every fifteen minutes or so, drove us mad!
They also run a system where there it dial's say 100 numbers and the first ones to answer go to the operators and the other numbers get the silence. And like you were saying it records which lines are active to help it sort out phones from faxes/data etc.

I like telling them to wait while I get the homeowner and just leave it off the hook. If they want to waste my time I'll waste theres.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat May 09, 2009 2:23 am

The best one is to tell them the person they are after will be home after 9.00PM - yes that is late is it not? They are not allowed to ring after nine pm !! And it is past their shift time in some OS parts.

The do not call register does not apply to charities or to your own service providers.

My land line is the fax line to the Murray County Hospital MORGUE .
"The fax just indicated a voice call coming in so I answered it, so no one in here has any money "
"oh, sorry" click

They NEVER ask me who I am :-D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat May 09, 2009 8:17 am

if you know who is calling and dont want to deal with them, we had a few telemarketing callers and i had a whistle and blew it on the phone!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 10, 2009 3:49 am

some telemarketers have taken their revenge for that sort of treatment - they know where to find you as seen on current affair type tv program

Battlewagon

Post by Battlewagon » Sun May 10, 2009 10:51 am

I tell them I'm only here cleaning the house for the owner who has been imprisoned for murder. Seems he hacked a telemarketer to death with a chainsaw......

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Sun May 10, 2009 11:11 am

I find the most satisfying way to deal with telemarketers is to waste their time. When answering the call, as soon as you realise it's a marketer just say "oh excuse me for a sec", put the phone down, then forget about it. They will sit there for probably 2 to 3 minutes then finally hang up.
Just go put your phone back on the hook about half an hour later :)

heh, then again, some of them don't really deserve it. My brother was a telemarketer for a company which was contracted by Telstra. He didn't like it but it was a job and he needed it.

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:23 pm

try and sell them something!! see how long you can waste their time for!

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 10, 2009 7:26 pm

Ive enjoyed asking them to repeat their dialogue as the line must is rather bad at times." It went funny soon after you started talking. Can you start from the beginning please" Or asking for them to send the information in writing to be able to ponder - they never can! Also asking precise detail as to who they are, who they represent and return phone number sometimes they terminate the call :-D

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sun May 10, 2009 8:11 pm

yeah another thing we've done, is answer it and let them talk and leave the phone off the hook and they can pay for the call!

Sometimes I let the answering machine running and they dont leave a msg.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 11, 2009 2:25 pm

I was going to join the "do not call" register but am now happy I didn't - I'm going on a cruise, got a new phone... Kidding!

At home we have a competition going to see who can waste the most time of the telemarketer's by enquiring all about the product, chopping and changing to see how far they will go to make a sale, asking them to post out the deal - then argue with them about their inability to post details out; another good one is to ask for the terms and conditions BEFORE you agree to the deal, good luck on hearing them! Also never say "yes" or "i agree" in the phone conversation as that can mean you've accepted their deal - it happened to my uncle.

Another one to ask is if you can get a recording of this convesation sent to your email or on disc to your home/work... Again, good luck on that one!

My PB so far on the only call I've had was 7 minutes 39 seconds. My brother just got one at 9 minutes and 2 seconds - he said something when funny on the line then they were gone but he had perfect reception... go figure!

We're having fun with them and its pretty funny when you know what you're doing, especially if there are mates around that can listen in and know what your up to ;)

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon May 11, 2009 7:26 pm

I'll let you know if i can do 10 minutes with the next one then!!

Fatz
General Member

Post by Fatz » Tue May 12, 2009 3:40 pm

i usually just tell them how successful they are in life to be working in an outgoing call centre and how much of an achievement it is.. there is usually a couple seconds pause, then they hang up... every time. :)
mean, but funny.

Phizinza
General Member

Post by Phizinza » Tue May 12, 2009 4:55 pm

steptoe wrote:as seen on current affair type tv program
Watch from 3:34 onward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgSeP-oI ... re=related
Owned - 89 Brumby, 83 Wagon, 83 Leone 4WD Sedan, 83 Touring Wagon, 99 Outback
Own - 87 Brumby, 93 Liberty, 09 Forester
Offroading Subarus Facebook Page

Return to “Open Slather”