The Army

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
rob83ke70

The Army

Post by rob83ke70 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Anyone here in the army or the army reserve? I'm assuming the basic training is the same for either, can anyone tell me what would be involved in the training?

Thinking about the merits of joining the army reserve...

Robert.

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Not me, but my old man was for years, got paid well to go on two weeks at a time training and had a break from four screaming kids at the same time as well as picked up new skills.Think he had to do this three times a year so need to have a good boss at regular job.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm

I have a pretty good boss at my current job. The thing that was concerning me is the whole basic training thing. I'm a little anti-conformist or something like that and I'm not sure If I like the idea of being decomissioned and recomissioned as a soldier. I'm not a violent or aggressive type of person either (unless I get riled up for a LONG time over something, and even then I don't really stick up for myself how I should)

Busdriver

Post by Busdriver » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Mate, have a Google at the Army reserve and see what comes up, my old man was in there since before I can remember and I am only going off my memory.
Let me know what you find out. I too am thinking of doing this but am too fat and lazy at this stage to do any more than think about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Busdriver, 91 L Enduro Wagon, stock ,for now.
Lots of Ks,A/C, MP3 sometimes(if its not dark) singing steering wheel cover which I listen too when its dark.

Suby Newbie

lovey80

Post by lovey80 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Mate violent or aggressive traits aren't needed or welcomed in the Army so you can forget about that being a requirement.

Unless it has changed recently Basic training is 10-12 weeks, at one stage army reservists could break this up into 3 modules but I would not advise taking this option if it is still available. Get the time off and get it done in one hit. After that depending on what Corps you chose there is Initial employment training which is like basic training in the corps that you join (Liverpool sydney = Engineers, Singleton = infantry etc).

Infantry is good fun for a short term fix if you are a reservist but will get boring very quickly. Try Engineers, they are always doing different stuff from Explosive Demolitions, to watermanship training to building all kinds of stuff.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:04 pm

Basic is no longer the same. Chokos (reserve) are shorter these days. My mate is in Sigs if you want to ask a current reservist something. He will give you no bull answers if you want a contact. It's not for everyone. They do crush you in basic. Yelling, screaming, pti you to beyond what you thought you could do and basically push you as far as they can and try and break you. But at the same time build you up into what they require. They want to smash your mould and rebuild you. After that it gets better.

I think there are a couple of full time RAA guys and a RAN guy on here and a few ex's. They can probably give you a history of what they experianced.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Goggle Army Reserves, and don't believe a word that recruiters say, unless it is in Black and White!!!!
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

CPOCSM

Post by CPOCSM » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:31 pm

Matt wrote:Goggle Army Reserves, and don't believe a word that recruiters say, unless it is in Black and White!!!!

Hmmmm - want to qualify that to an actual recruiter?? Integrity and honesty is a very important trait for recruiters and I think that it is pretty generalised statement there...:rolleyes:

Call them up and put your case forward. I can give you the info but best you call in and get them to sort you out - you are then on the system and you will be managed correctly. Chinese whispers and half truths wont get you far but looing at:

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au

and you will put you on the right path...

Hooroo

Rob Forsyth
CPOCSM
Training Quality Manager
Headquarters, Defence Force Recruiting
Rob Forsyth

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:10 pm

i actually know of a guy who was on the entry with me that when asked why he wanted to join the army his reply was....I WANT TO KILL PEOPLE SIR........he never made it any further
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:59 am

Matt wrote:Goggle Army Reserves, and don't believe a word that recruiters say, unless it is in Black and White!!!!

Peter

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:12 pm

Still thinking about it... Still undecided really...

Its probably like anything else that you could get involved in: there will always be some idiots in there, but a lot of good guys as well.

I think I will work on my fitness over the next year, and I really want to learn the bagpipes as well, and think about it. We will see what happens in a year :)

Robert

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:29 pm

PM Sent CPOCSM.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

Willie

Post by Willie » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:26 pm

There's something for everyone in the Army - visit a recruiting centre, let them know what you're interested in or skills you already have and they can match you to trade / corps. If you know a specific job you want, stick to that and don't let them talk you into something else.

I've been in for a very long time now and still enjoy it. My parents originally let me join because they thought I'd be sent back within a month!

Do yourself a favour and go along for a chat - it could open up a facinating new world with so many opportunities, you'll wonder why you never did it years ago.

Cheers,
Willie.
Canberra

MY06 Forester XT Luxury
MY05 Pajero Exceed DiD
1975 VW L Bug (1303)

tex

Post by tex » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:14 am

P.M. me with your Email address or a mobile number and I can fill you in sorry but I haven't read the whole post yet however will endeavor too. P.S. Whatever I cant answer I can find out or tell you exactly who can, i.e. the companys paid to do the recuitment are useless.
87 targa brumby (Neglected),
92 targa brumby (weekend runabout),
97 Lifted Outback (Dailey drive),
05 outback safety (Too cheap to pass up),
90 model liberty (was to be scrapped instead sold to workmate)
+ others.

Return to “Open Slather”