Victorian fire disaster

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
sven '2'
General Member

Victorian fire disaster

Post by sven '2' » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:58 pm

65 deaths to date

Hope no-one on here is in danger

Full respect and thanks to the CFS / CFA & emergency personnel -> these people are absolutely true Aussies.

Thank you

Sven
73 Yamaha DT3 250

08 Ford BF wagon - LPG FTMFW

14 Toyota Kluger - goodness!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Yeah, its crazy... We were told to evauate females as we were going to be in direct threat after the cool change yesterday - I think they got the message wrong as there was no threat to our area as the smoke changed its path after the cool change came through.

I'm concerned about Wraith - not a regular user anymore but I know he lived/lives in the Heathcote Junction/Wondong area that's pretty much been whiped out by the sounds of news reports...

The fire front is just massive and if whittlesea goes up there is a real potential for the northern suburubs of melbourne to follow suit, hope the weather gives us southerly winds and an even cooler change some time soon.

All the best to those in the path of distruction, and to the CFA/SES/Police and other volunteers, keep up the spectacular work!

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:25 pm

We are watching the news here in Toowoomba dumbfounded. Ingham to the north is flooded and the rain keeps coming there, and down south it is as dry as a chip with 40plus heat and serious bushfires with devastating consequences. This truly is a big and diverse country.

Our thoughts and very best wishes go out to all that are affected. I know there are members of this forum scattered all over Australia and we hope that you and those dear to you stay safe.

Trevor

Mini_Me

Post by Mini_Me » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:26 pm

This weather is absolutely crazy, but what can we do!?! As have most of us here, I have been watching the fire updates while I was at work tonight, and found out that a mate of mine, who is with the parks and wildlife fire service here in tasmania, is being sent over tomorrow morning to help fight the fires.
My thoughts go out to all those caught and those who have lost their lives.
'89 sherpa... my little beast!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 pm

subybrumby wrote: Ingham to the north is flooded and the rain keeps coming there,
We say down here that the North south pipe line (from lake eildon to melbourne for the selfish surburbaites) doesn't go north far enough north - to the flooding in Qld...
Mini_Me wrote:This weather is absolutely crazy, but what can we do!?! As have most of us here, I have been watching the fire updates while I was at work tonight, and found out that a mate of mine, who is with the parks and wildlife fire service here in tasmania, is being sent over tomorrow morning to help fight the fires.
Yep, and I feel like I should be doing more than "doing the normal" thing as usual... Also the Army is being called in with bulldozers etc to help out too. SA firefighers are over here too from what I've heard.

Mini_Me wrote:My thoughts go out to all those caught and those who have lost their lives.
I think that's the same for everyone at the moment (maybe with exception to the bastards that help start/spread these fires)... I thought about them as I sat down for dinner at the table in the house.

I read in the vic section a minute ago that the count is up to 85 :(

Bennie

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:10 pm

Unbelievable. It'll take Victoria years to get over this. Some will never get over it of course.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:25 am

My thoughts go out to all affected by these fires.

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:50 am

subybrumby wrote:Unbelievable. It'll take Victoria years to get over this. Some will never get over it of course.
you took the words right out of my mouth, it is insane that whole towns are just gone!!! burnt off the map..........
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:28 am

News just said over 100 dead. I hope they catch the mongrels that started them. We have friends that live down that way that we haven't heard from but gather they aren't in that exact area. Also have friends in Townsville that say they will need 4 or 5 days of dry weather just to get the wrinkles out of their feet.

Another of our board members has rellos at Ingham, let's hope they are doing fine.

GTlegs

Post by GTlegs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 am

The bastards that start these should be drawn and quartered
'Another quality whore post from GTlegs Inc. Call 1900 POSTHO for all your forum reply supplies.'

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:57 pm

This guy and his family are extremely lucky.

And then there is the other extreme where one guy was evacuating his family and he put his 3 x children in the car turned around to pick up something to put in the car and the car went up in flames with the 3 children still inside.

Nth Qld has floods - NSW & Vic have fires - England and parts of the USA are being ravaged by ice and snow storms, the weather really is cock-eyed now watch all the loonies really drive home the "earth is warming" theory.

Overall it is a sad state of affairs.

:( :( :( :(
Peter

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Subyroo wrote:Overall it is a sad state of affairs.
So true, 130 dead now and still expected to rise :???: And the fires are still not out...

Bennie

Matt
General Member

Post by Matt » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:02 pm

It hasn't stopped raining for weeks here in Townsville, but the water doesn't hurt any inconcent people (Or very rarely) just idiots doing stupid stuff. And it will take weeks to get the wrinkles out of my now webbed feet.

I really feel sorry for the Victorian / NSW people, as in some cases they did nothing wrong.

If only we could pump the water to victoria???? We sure don't want it and they need it.
"Bianca"
'86 Brumby - Dual Port Heads, 5 Speed Dual Range, Custom Cam, Tuned Weber, Tuned Suspension, 2" Body Lift Kit, LSD, 14" rims, 2.25" Exhaust, Snorkel, Dual Batteries, DVD Player, UHF, VHF, etc. Offically now part of the 350, 000 km Club! :) And still pulling like a freight train.

"Claudia"
82 MY Wagon - EA81T, RS Liberty WIAC, 5 Speed Dual Range, Tuned Suspension, 14" Rims 27" Tyres, 2" Body Lift Kit, Apline Head unit, UHF, Roof Console, L Series seats, Soon to have New Paint, snorkel, Dual batteries, etc

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I sure hope the media can also show some of the good stuff of nature that people can find after disasters like this, and soon.

http://mirboonorth.vic.au/news/mirboo-n ... nd-in-need well and truly puts my grandfathers playground on the map
(other than having the longest picnic table in southern hemisphere until some goon halved it with a chainsaw !)

the koala is named Sam, in care she meets another koala named Bob. Sam was rescued by David TREE and is being cared for by Colleen WOOD

Years ago I got past police lines to find the family home intact where most around were flattened. One neighbour lost everything except his ducks that huddled under a bush beside a section of fence that was not totalled. These lucky ducks were just three metres from a buckled shed and six metres away a mag wheel turned to molten alloy. The first sign of any life in the area I found was a possum up on power wires of remaining power poles, just after sunset

Hopefully trees and shrubs will show some new signs of life within weeks and come out in spring flower to add some much needed hope to these victims

dibs

Post by dibs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:30 am

Im just lost for words as anyone is with such a disaster.

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:03 pm

now 173 dead.... watching it on the news now. far out.

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:19 pm

181 now...
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

stephendean

Post by stephendean » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:51 pm

My thoughts go out to all the people affected by the fires of Victoria. I noticed that we have one or two members that do live in the affected and that I hope they are ok.

timmo

Post by timmo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Im with the DSE been fighting the fires since saturday, its absolutely devastating the losses caused. My thoughts are with wraith from wandong hope his family is ok. Hope they catch the arseholes that lit these
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

chubby37
General Member

Post by chubby37 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:32 am

its times like this you really do feel proud to be australian......45 plus million raised and still going....and the guys and girls fighting that monster,just amazing...unless you have been in a big fire you have no idea how loud and fast it can be and the wind storm the fire creates...i was in the N.T fire service an katherine station and have been in some big fire but i am shocked at the size and power of these..when your confronted with a fire of this size it scares you shitless....the raw is like a 747 on full power up and the wind rushing past you towards the fire as the fire pulls in more and more oxygen to feed on and the ground shakes like and eath quake...timmo and all the others fighting these fires....your our heros..take care
ImageImage

life is like a game of cricket...at some time you will get hit in the nuts

Return to “Open Slather”