Travelling is bad for my health

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
subiwidow

Travelling is bad for my health

Post by subiwidow » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:51 pm

At the moment my daughter Renee is having a holiday, in Phuket.
The day she left, we had a massive storm, lost power and I couldn't check the internet to see if her flight landed.The headache started. Day 2 the island beside hers had an earthquake, and than a tsunami warning was put out. She still was not answering her phone. Finally....I got an answer. Stress had set in, and the headache was here to stay. Today she was to fly to Bangkok. Thats not about to happen. So she became homeless, as all the tourists are being sent to Phuket and all the accommodation is full. We have spent 7 hours getting her a place to sleep, and another plane home. Finally I can relax, sit back with more asprin, and a boubon.
I will be tearing up her passport the minute she arrives home. I can't take it......:(

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:21 pm

I didn't even get to crack that bourbon, before the phone rang. It was the travel agent, the plane is full for Sunday. Looks like Wednesday is the earliest to get out of the country. Now I need the tissues, to go with the asprin.:(:(

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:25 pm

haha the joys of travel
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:16 pm

Shit Megan, Michelle saw on Facebook that she was over there but we didn't know if she was caught up.

Please watch before posting!

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Travel agent rang again. There was a cancellation from some one on the original flight and it looks like she is back on it. Conveniently her fone has gone flat too just to make things a little more interesting.

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:23 am

On Monday when we spoke, she said "she loves it in Phucket, and wasn't ready to come home". She got her wish.....
For all of them over there they are unaware of what is going on around them.
They didin't see any news, and when they did finally see was not in English. She didn't understand why I was stressing.
Plane arrives late Monday night, I will probably set up camp at the airport, early Monday morning . ;)

Brett told her she was grounded when she gets home, "not a problem" she said she is "not travelling again".

AndrewT

Post by AndrewT » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:13 am

I hope she gets back okay. We just got back from Phuket only a week ago, lukily we managed to avoid all of this stuff and didn't have any issues. Bali next year, hopefully no problems there.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:30 am

I've always said we live in the best country. No need to visit the rest of the world ;)
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:18 am

the way the dollar is heading I think its see australia time for the next few years

that said I am off to japan in couple of weeks ;)
brumbyrunner wrote:And just to clarify the real 4WD thing, Subarus are an unreal 4WD.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:22 am

i know a bit about what your going through here atm. my dad is over there atm in the middle of it all as well...not good...stress is very high....

only difference is my old boy works over seas for a living and ALWAYS seems to ge into the middle of this shit that always pops up...maybe thats y im going bald at such a young age :(

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:35 pm

My youngest son (23 at the time but a young 23) spent two years backpacking around Europe and United Kingdom then couple of days in Bangkok on the way home all on his own. First landing when he left Australia was Istanbul in Turkey and we never heard from him for a while. Had visions of him robbed and lying in the gutter somewhere.

Its a nightmare but ya gotta let them go. He is home now and a much better person for the experience, however, I do know what you are feeling.

The only glitch he ever had was sleeping one night in the streets of Naples over a stuff up with a backpacker booking. We were never told of course until he lt it slip one night after he got back.

But now he is fiercely independent, bought his own flat and knows exactly where he is headed, good for him.

(The joys of being a parent)

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:08 pm

You'd be glad she wasn't in india last week, I couldn't believe what had happened in the world for a week while I was working on camp! Crazy.

All the best to those who are or were stuck in the thick of it.

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

subiwidow

Post by subiwidow » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:28 am

Renee left Phucket last night and spent the night in Kuala Lumper. She will be home tonight.....:D :D :D :D :D

Just a little bit happy.

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 am

It must be good to have parents who worry so much haha.
Phucket is a huge tourists destination, it would be better times there then for example, being stuck on the border between Israel and Pakistan :)
Tell her to get on here and tell us about the airport, I still can't believe how an airport of that size can shut down! She has a whopping travel story...

vincentvega

Post by vincentvega » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:57 am

Good to hear Megan.

I will have to tell you some travel stories that I have never gotten around to telling my parents some time ;)

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:35 pm

Like this one time at band camp....

Nice to know Ren is on her way home safely
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Subaman

Post by Subaman » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:28 am

Bwahahaha "Band camp" ..... bloody hell Wilbur, you nearly made me choke on my toast :)

Return to “Open Slather”