Best value mobile broadband internet deals???

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
BENduro

Best value mobile broadband internet deals???

Post by BENduro » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:42 am

Hi,
Looking at getting the internet for home and as we have no home phone connected we thought that mobile broadband may be the go?
How does it go and whats the go?:rolleyes:
We would be using it for net browsing, forums like this, and the occational music/video download.
Which plan/deal/data amount would be the best for us?
Cheers, Benduro:)

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Have a look here for plans, it's a pretty good search engine
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=search

I havent looked at it recently but when I did about a year ago I thought all the wireless plans were a rip off. There's also a new service called naked dsl, which is adsl without a line rental, but you still need the phone point. Im not sure if it's cheap or widly availabe yet though but worth a search.

Im really not sure how much downloads you'd be going through but a 5gb plan is a good start, most providers will let you go to a bigger download plan from a small one but not the otherway so it can be ok to start small.

Make sure you check the prices for going over your download limit, some dont charge and just slow down your connection till the month is over, others have ridiculous charges.

Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 pm

I think Soul do some good deals. Maybe have a look there as a start.
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 pm

The best mobile broadband deal is a laptop with wifi, and a high gain external antenna you can point at an unprotected access point! :P
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

mattw

Post by mattw » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:54 pm

yes, have a look through Whirlpool. it is the best place I've found to compare options.
mobile broadband is getting better, with increased quotas and reduced costs.

as already said, check for excess usage charges. Many people have beeen severely burned by excess charges, as they're often charged at a high penalty rate. I wouldn't sign up with any that do, shaping speed is the fair way in my opinion.
Big Pond is rubbish on prices, speeds and quotas. you may get one, but not the other etc.
I've just gone Naked DSL, so the home phone line is now dedicated to the ISP, so no Telstra line charges, and my home phone has gone VOIP. Call rates are dirt cheap. It works a treat, and saves me because for basically what my home line was costing per month, I now have ADSL2+ and a phone........ YAY!!!!!!

and if you get a wireless modem, get your security sorted, or someone like Thalass will exploit it for free. :)

Thalass

Post by Thalass » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 pm

hahaha yarrr :p

We have naked DSL with the voip and it works great. It came with the combination dsl modem / voip / 4 port router / wireless router so the whole house is connected (and I set up the security properly hehe) plus the phone.

We actually have two voip numbers here, the second one is a separate voip modem connected into one of the ethernet ports in the router, which is our Canada Phone voip number. Local calls in Ontario! :P
Living in Canada now. Looking at all these SVXs for sale...
I'VE GOT AN OUTBACK AGAIN WOOT

BENduro

Post by BENduro » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:38 pm

Just came accross a deal from 3 including: USB modem, and 6 GB for 39.95/month.
Any good???

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm

If you are at a fixed location like home, and you want a always ON connection, the competition from mobile broadband is a long way off imho.
"occational music/video download" - b4 you know you'll be carried away with it and get hit with big charges.
Check how they count upload/download, and another thing, whilst the broadband internet is marketed as high speed, it rarely gets that on a day-to-day basis, also it takes longer to establish ip connections.
my home plan is adsl 1.5MB/12G+line rental => $59.95
and its telstra!! used to pay $59 to tpg for just adsl, so i am ahead now.
an i rarely download video/music, otherwise i would need a bigger data plan.

Suberman

Post by Suberman » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 pm

BENduro wrote:Just came accross a deal from 3 including: USB modem, and 6 GB for 39.95/month.
Any good???
I use 3. No contract, $29 p/m, 3gb. Buy the modem for around $199, one off.
You can cancel anytime, and then reconnect when it suits. BENduro, is the $39 for 6gb a contract deal?
91 Liberty awd wagon, 2.2 efi, 5sp man., dual fuel, dual range, Outback Struts & KYB shocks, bashplate, converted spare wheel and bike carrier.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BENduro

Post by BENduro » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:50 am

Yeah, the $39.95 6 GB is a contract (24 months)...Makes the $29 3gb deal you speak of sound very reasonable especially considering we will connect a phone line once the house is built thus allowing us home broadband and phone.:)
I'll just have to check to see weather or not there is coverage from 3 in our area:confused:
Thanks for the heads-up:)

Return to “Open Slather”