Jet Boat build thread..

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:06 am

Aghh 4xsama you beat me to the post by mere minutes.

(quotes old AAMI ad) Don't back chat me Son, I know Boats!

I am building up the stern area this way so I can pack it out further later if I have to.

This is a way of spreading the shock loat on the widest area of alloy I can, as a base.

I have an old Freycinet Sea Charters sign to go over it next (2mm alloy).

Then Poly plastic of 8 -10mm or more if I need it.

Then fairing and screwing down.
1989 Subaru WonderBrumby II
EJ22 Dual range AWD lifted, widened and much happier now thanks very much.

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Jet boat..webbered EA81 with a hybrid tin dish welded and glued to it.

dibs

Post by dibs » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:04 pm

hi BRUMBERTY

a few ?ssss and some advice if you like.

have you ever driven a jet boat or jet ski.

If not first rule is they dont steer like a normal boat .when you back of they go straight ahead.

make sure the reverse boot is firm neutral as have seen lots of jet boats slip into reverse when moving forward.

in your pics i didnt see a pickup grill these units pump a lot of water and in shollow water can suck up sticks and stones. some times locking up jet unit..not sompthing you want to happen

im not a boat designer but i think the v between the transom and the pickup should be flat .the problem there it could trap air and cause cavitation in the pump. (im talking to a m8 him and I built and raced sprint boats over the next couple of days ) and will ask him (we even designed and pattened a twin jet unit )

I feal your bigest problem will be the engin bearers . i will see if i got some pics of our jet boats with details for you if you want.

If all this works and you get the gift of jet boating have funnnnnnnn.
sompthing to try . find a weir hmmmmm bout 500 ml high get as close paralell as you can. turning into wall and give full revs . if you have a good power to weight ratio you should be able to jump climb watever you like to call it up the wall and into the water behind it. get down the obvious way .
007 style best adrenalin rush.

i know if you people have read my stupid mistakes your prob thinking.he dont know s^&^%t . but i have been involved in most motor sports from speedway solos sidecars salloon cars supermodafied (sprint car these days) drag boats/cars ski drags circut boat racing from tunnell boats hydros flat bottom judys sangas hell iv even got a tinny id like to put a jetski unit in but the 15 will do for now.
im no expert but its still imbeded in the back of the brain somewere .

GOOD LUCK N HAVE FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
dibs

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:58 pm

Dibs...we need to sit down and have a few quiet drinks one afternoon.

I will reply when coherent.
This weir idea is mindblownig.

Thanks for piping up Mate, thats why we are all here I say.

I will be back.

Matt

1991 L Series wagon, white and perfectly normal apart from the ticking, no I think that is normal.

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:54 pm

When this is all finished i may end up taking all the good ideas and make one of these toys for myself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:29 pm

This is great!
Keep 'em coming.

SWK - you gonna start building boats before or after you start on your aeroplane?
Settlement Creek Racing

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:16 pm

a few ?ssss and some advice if you like.

Q have you ever driven a jet boat or jet ski.

A Sure have, I hate jet ski’s with a passion.
I drove a barge with 4 jets once (hydraulic bow units x 2, mains x 2)
Ex antarctic division…you should have seen how many levers that thing had!

Q If not first rule is they dont steer like a normal boat .when you back of
they go straight ahead.

A Commitment to the cause is required.
Never back off.

Q make sure the reverse boot is firm neutral as have seen lots of jet boats slip into reverse when moving forward.

A Good tip, cheers.

Q in your pics i didnt see a pickup grill these units pump a lot of water and in shollow water can suck up sticks and stones. some times locking up jet unit..not sompthing you want to happen
A I have the factory stainless grill, its in good shape which gives me hope the unit is too.

Q im not a boat designer but i think the v between the transom and the pickup should be flat .the problem there it could trap air and cause cavitation in the pump. (im talking to a m8 him and I built and raced sprint boats over the next couple of days ) and will ask him (we even designed and pattened a twin jet unit )
A I have left that area as variation in the final jet position…
I may yet move her aft as much as possible.
Another good tip though.

Q I feal your bigest problem will be the engin bearers . i will see if i got some pics of our jet boats with details for you if you want.

A Appreciated, I have some cool ideas from the Kiwis, EJ20s mounted from the front and rear.

Q If all this works and you get the gift of jet boating have funnnnnnnn.
sompthing to try . find a weir hmmmmm bout 500 ml high get as close paralell as you can. turning into wall and give full revs . if you have a good power to weight ratio you should be able to jump climb watever you like to call it up the wall and into the water behind it. get down the obvious way .
007 style best adrenalin rush.

A OMFG this is astounding news!
The Swansea Water supply weir is only 500mm high and it is the only thing stopping me from total access of the river from my house….right through to the mouth.
If I could crack this particular trick…..life changing stuff Ladies and gentleman.

i know if you people have read my stupid mistakes your prob thinking.he dont know s^&^%t . but i have been involved in most motor sports from speedway solos sidecars salloon cars supermodafied (sprint car these days) drag boats/cars ski drags circut boat racing from tunnell boats hydros flat bottom judys sangas hell iv even got a tinny id like to put a jetski unit in but the 15 will do for now.
im no expert but its still imbeded in the back of the brain somewere .

GOOD LUCK N HAVE FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
dibs

A Dibs old fella.
You rock.

dibs

Post by dibs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm

A Dibs old fella.
You rock.

na m8 only doing what evary else does here.helping out were they can.hell iv lernt heaps here.

dibs

get one

Post by dibs » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:14 pm

i mite add if anyone here can score a ride in a sprint boat on a sprint track DOIT its second to sex i recon (and riding in a subi)

dibs

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:33 am

I have been banned from even thinking about building a plane.
Even a ground effect sea plane.

I shouldn't have told her.

But back on topic.....

I have been continuing shaping the planing delta.. bit by bit it goes on, waiting mainly for adhesives to cure.

Finally got an alloy welder lined up to box in the transom plate, once this is done I will cut the final cut on the intake hole.

Much thought has been given to how to preserve this old girl the best, cracking is again my fear.

Have a look at the bow ....

Ouch..what do you do to cause that??

I am overlapping and riveting sheets of 2mm alloy over it with a sikka layer underneath.
After some appropriate panel beating of course.

And lastly.. a shameless plug (random I must admit) for my old mate Duncan, for giving me a perfect sheet of 2400 x 1000 x 2mm alloy. Cheers big ears.

He is your man if you want to see the Freycinet Peninsular and Schouten Island by sea. Wineglass Bay is Spectacular.

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:44 am

I have no idea bout jetboats just wondering what is the steering mechanism? just for interest. Does the water outlet rotate or do you use a rudder. steering wheel?
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:55 pm

I think jet outlet swivels left and right sending arse end of boat left or right!!!!

Captain Obvious
General Member

Post by Captain Obvious » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:56 am

hey brumberty you must have shares with sikka flex buy now!!!!!, seems that boat it being built with it, keep up the good work tho looks like a fun toy
[SIGPIC]http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/image.php ... 1468060434[/SIGPIC]

The 4x4: 2004 Nissan Navara d22 ZD30 dual cab.
The Wifes car: 2005 SG9 Facelift forester 2.5l auto XS

Bumpty
General Member

Post by Bumpty » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Nice progress!

dibs

boat hull

Post by dibs » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm

gday m8
i spoke to chris today about the v behind the jet pickup.what will happen the boat will try to plain on the v and yes will suck air and cavatate causing free or over reving . not nice. also he said to get the hull in front of jet unit as flat as posable but i didnt ask how far forward .i told him its not a race boat but water pickup is your secret to sucsess get it in smooth and its gogogo.does the jet turn over nice and free and do the bearings feel smooth. also get the stearing cup nice and smooth (less restriction = more power=more funnnnnnnnnn,
sorry to put a dampner on it but things done rite now will save disapointment later .
dibs

madmat

Post by madmat » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:45 pm

I have been thinking latley about how we all plan to do these fantastic modifications and projects to our machines whatever they are.

My conclusions are most of the fun comes in the sleepless nights thinking and planing and talking about the idea with mates and then building the thing to see if it works. Once it works using it is only a fraction of the fun. We then start the cycle again thinking about how we can "improve" it further.

So with that in mind who really cares if the engine corrodes out in a month it probably won't be used any longer than the first month anyway:)

So i say to you Brumberty GO FOR IT and when it works brag about it for all your worth and if it fails don't tell a soal and just start talking about the next idea hoping no one askes about this idea. It works for me:-D.

Anyway that might be all a bit philisofical for this evening:mrgreen:

Thats all for now i have to go and think about how i can turn that OBW into a camper trailer.;) Hmmmmmm

BRUMBERTY

Update..

Post by BRUMBERTY » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:26 am

Dibs..great advice from your Pal, it corresponds with what I have been told by several people.
Nice to have confirmation.

Where I am at the moment is fabricating the transom box.. when I have this complete I can determine the final position of the jet intake and then reinforce/flatten that area aft of the unit.
A solid trim tab/nozzle protector plate will protrude aft all the way under the nozzle.

I sort of have to do it in order.
It will be flat though.
Still waiting on bedding adhesive to dry in places but the hull tiles are in place, sheathing the hull with alloy is coming up soon.

Madmat...nice username I must admit.

A month of running for this boat would be a year or two... I will be tinkering every winter with tweaks to it...you are correct it's the fun bit.

I will post some pics again when they are worthy.

dibs

Post by dibs » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:50 pm

keep thinkin of that weir m8.realy is the hell bent thing . i mean jetboats . the only thing iv ever been in that was doing 100ks turned 180 degrs and was a full noise in 60 ft.done with foot flat .but that was full race trim injected 350 alloy hull.we took the guys wife who built the motor for a ride an she actuauly wet het pants.TRUTH

dibs

BRUMBERTY

Aaaahg

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Cheers Dibs..I needed a little provocation.

Very sore from being kicked by sheep @ shearing, new Baby, busy office..
hmm I was sitting here enjoying my red and what do you know...
I was writing the list for the supplies for the weekend's projects.

I will have some serious new updates for the troops.

45mm IDA side draught Weber for example.

ZapaZapadeezap.

Matt

BRUMBERTY

Post by BRUMBERTY » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:25 pm

BRUMBERTY wrote: ZapaZapadeezap.
Said Matt who is getting alloy welding lessons on Sunday.......wooo hooo.

Point

Post by Point » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:37 pm

44 IDF/48 IDA downdraft or 40/45/48 DCOE sidedraft?

Return to “Open Slather”