VEGEMITE - what do YOU use it for?

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
steptoe
Master Member

VEGEMITE - what do YOU use it for?

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:59 am

For the benefit of our members OS , such as the US, please list how you use or have seen used, our legendary VEGEMITE.

think it is rated at SPF100+ sunscreen, has been used as cooking ingredient for pot roast?

Spooned out of 600 gram jars and straight onto pallete, NO ! NO ! not tongue pallette, the artists palette for painting emus on bonnets of tourists cars - never to wash off!

Me, i just scrape ever so thinly on hot buttered toast, the top side of a cheese sandwich, melt into the holey crumpets or muffins

Certain there are other methods to safely consume a product aussies eat before they can even read labels to determine just what is in it, besides vitamin B

TOONGA
Elder Member

Post by TOONGA » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:11 am

ah yes the famous axle grease concoction Ive been told that if kraft (no longer Australian as I understand it) tried to get vegemite on the market today it would be locked in a vault at area 51 deep inside hangar 18 right near those guys that never landed in 1953 or when ever it was

and yes it can be used as stock for roasts, soups, noodles and just about any other dish that needs a dark gravy and salt

Ive seen recipe that calls for vegemite to be painted on a chicken so it "browns" in a microwave. kinda scary really using microwave and vegemite in the same situation... hell for that matter in the same sentence.

Im sure as well if you don't have grease a jar of vegemite will get you out of a bind if you have to rebuild a cv shaft on the side of the road

TOONGA
PJ Gone but not forgotten
JETCAR AKA the sandwedge Rusted in pieces

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:44 am

Cold sores or ulcers in your mouth... mmm... otherwise on pouched eggs or on plain toast....

Sometimes I also use vegemite on the end of the bottle with cheese to attract mouse/mices with a bucket filled up with water (bottle on top of the bucket) - its a trap and vegemite smells attracts mices!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 am

I immediately though it tasted like a boullion cube, will have to break out the toaster, and possibly some chassis parts:)
'86 GL, '89 RX, '89 XT6, '90 T'sunami Wagon

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 pm

ah, axle grease - that is what my Canadian born and raised uncle calls it !

http://www.trespassmag.com/rites-of-pas ... australia/

on so fffresh bread too, is great

In return, I need to say that plain old Aussie peanut butter with nothin' but nuts is pretty ordinary gunk after eating ALDI's American sourced peanut butter with molasses added to it, maybe some salt and oil. I have used it as a meal replacement on occasions :)

Gotta ask what made you eat boullion cubes in the first place ?

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:31 pm

[quote="steptoe"]
I was hungry:)

Subafury

Post by Subafury » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:43 pm

theres an artist in perth that applies it to canvas a a proper paint. does well with it too!

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:09 pm

T'subaru wrote:I immediately though it tasted like a boullion cube, will have to break out the toaster, and possibly some chassis parts:)
seriously though, tried it and it wasnt bad, will have to try as suggested.

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:49 pm

as label says, it is concentrated yeast extract, so very fine scrape is all that is required to get used to - and hooked on taste. With the holey crumpets butter up first then let melting vegemite (if at all possible) oozes down holes spreading the flavour experience

dfoyl

Post by dfoyl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:46 pm

>>Kraft(no longer Australian as I understand it)

Kraft was never Australian, it is North American. They're about as Australian as General Motors Holden (US owned since 1958).

Kraft Australia excels at buying up Australian food manufacturers, and then closing them down and importing the replacement goods from China - eg. Lane "In-a-Biskit" range, now made in China. About all that is left in their locally-made range is cheese and Vegemite, and it's only a matter of time on the cheese line before that comes from China also.
1989 Brumby - Shiny new red paint, stroked EJ20 phase 2 SOHC with Darton sleeves bored to EJ22, Wiseco high-compression pistons, Delta 2000 grind cams , EJ/XT6 5 stud with WRX 4/2 pots, 5-speed, 86 GTS seats and so much more.
Contact me for reproduction XT6 hubs...and EA82 rear discs.

Subyroo

Post by Subyroo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:04 pm

I just had a nice big mug of steaming hot Bonox which is similar to Vegemite but not as thick.

Vegemite - Matured Cheese & Lettuce sandwiches are nice too.

Vegemite smeared over a lettuce leaf is a fat free filler from the Jenny Craig diet.

Where I used to work we smeared the underneath door handles - gear stick knob and steering wheel with vegemite as a trick on fellow workers. :twisted: :twisted:
Peter

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:21 pm

Yeah, was horrorfied when reading the last box of chicken in a biskit made in china. First box in years, likely the last. Vegemite has to be made in Australia, or at least of Australian made brewery leftovers. Gawd, you couldn't wash it downstream from brewery anymore, what with environmental laws :) . Trots off for another coupla rough sawn slices of bread, margarine and good ol' Vegemite......

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Geeves appears at the door of the masters bathroom with a mug of Bonox, a hot water bottle, and warm towels. His master asks from the tub - "Geeves, what is that you have there?"

" Well master, as I left to get your towels I distinctly heard you ask for a hot water bottle and a mug of Bonox" Parp, parp, PARP, parp - bubbling up from the bottom of the bathtub was what Geeves actually heard

dibs

Post by dibs » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:17 pm

peanut butter honey and vegimite on fresh bread .and yes all together hehe

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

timmo

Post by timmo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:37 pm

I like weet-bix with lots of butter & vegemite spread on top
L series wagon EA82T (RIP)
'92 Liberty RS Turbo
GU Patrol Ute
Honda XR400R

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Lets not forget the classic use - when smeared behind your ears it will deter Drop Bears from landing on you :twisted: True story, it worked for a friend of a friend of mine! :D

Greatest use is the old white bread, toasted, buttered then smeared with a thin coating of vegemite. You can eat 10 pieces of bread and still not feel full. Just don't drink any water anytime soon after eating!

Crumpets are great too with butter and cheese that's grilled if you've got some time to burn.

Cheese and vegemite scrolls - you can get them at any decent bakers, I think baker's delight do them as well.

I know my sister's in canada losing her mind due to running out of vegemite! Apparently she's feeling less aussie now. Hehehe, she's a dag!

Anyway, I think I'm going to have some vegemite for breakfast tomorrow. For now I'm sipping down a nice hot milo :D :D

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

d_generate
General Member

Post by d_generate » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:44 am

Ahh, love it and I have it every morning spread thinly on 2 slices of toast, my ex g/f got me to take this pic for her, she was Japanese and the only Asian I've known to go crazy about the stuff.
I doubt Kraft will get the Chinese to make the cheese, theits tastes like chalk.....totally putrid & their bread is sweet...EWW, I took a jar with me and couldn't use it for 5 months, wish I'd known about the lettuce leaf trick DOH!!!!

98 Libbo with V3 STI running gear. 13.0 @ 105mph with CAI & 3" Zorst:mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKrsF-2JS3M :twisted:

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:38 am

After reading the label I believe that the stamina displayed be Toonga's avatar can be directly linked to Vegemite, must contact d generate as it seems he has discovered this also...maybe he will consider export:)

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Subyroo wrote: Where I used to work we smeared the underneath door handles - gear stick knob and steering wheel with vegemite as a trick on fellow workers. :twisted: :twisted:
Did the same on bike seats at primary school :)

I heard of people homebrewing stouts and using vegemite, makes sence it came from beer to begin with.

1111giles

Post by 1111giles » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:11 am

dibs wrote:peanut butter honey and vegimite on fresh bread .and yes all together hehe

dibs
Are you pregnant?:mrgreen:

Return to “Open Slather”