Guess who's a teacher now?!

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
El_Freddo
Master Member

Guess who's a teacher now?!

Post by El_Freddo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Yep, after working in a vineyard til the end of vintage (picking), then heading off for the kokoda track and returning, it was time to find a job with the skills and qualifications I've gained in the past few years.
So today was my first day of Emergency Teaching! It was good - I had some highs and lows and in 5th period with some misbehaving year 8's I was wondering why I'm getting into this profession; the year 8's I had during period 6 (different class!) reminded me why I was getting into this profession...
A good day to start some ET work. Now to hope more is lined up as the calendar moves along!
Also this will hopefully more of the fun stuff for doing other fun stuff (like further modding Ruby Scoo :twisted:)

I'm sure there's a few of you who think I'm nuts... You could be right there (I'll let you know in 30 years time ;))

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

SuBaRiNo

Post by SuBaRiNo » Sat May 16, 2009 12:48 am

Awesome stuff dude... never thought u were mature enough to be a role model for year 8s LOL just kidding... im proud of ya... big hugs.

Dave
EJ conversion wiring harness cut downs available. Please PM or email (davem2000@hotmail.com) for details.

GOD

Post by GOD » Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 am

El_Freddo wrote:Yep, after working in a vineyard til the end of vintage (picking), then heading off for the kokoda track and returning, it was time to find a job with the skills and qualifications I've gained in the past few years.
What, you've gained skills through years of uni? Sounds nothing like my experience with higher education :rolleyes:.

Nah, good work. I admire anyone who has the patience to teach. What subject do you teach?

Dane.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat May 16, 2009 8:05 am

Oh congratulations! that job beats better than grape picking! been there done that...
All the best.
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Sun May 17, 2009 11:44 am

CONGRATS on your first day at school on the other side! How many to a class now?

I recall gaining anew respect for a teacher who seemed a right twat to all of us, until one of his colleagues heard us openly express our dim view of him. He told us that when we can work out how to rebuild a dizzy, sort out HT lead order and position and set the points so car fires straight up come back and tell him if our ideas had changed! Coz he'd had Mr Kenyon do this for him! (probably thought the same as us first though:) )

Brother was late back to class from lunch giving his excuse as having a blowout (on his treaddly) "Oh, is that some kind of party" teach asked in his English accent. Whole class roared :)

See how long it takes for some kid to get hold of your mobile number!!

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun May 17, 2009 4:03 pm

SuBaRiNo wrote:Awesome stuff dude... never thought u were mature enough to be a role model for year 8s LOL just kidding... im proud of ya... big hugs.
Cheers Dave! I still wonder if I'm mature enough - its weird going from a job you've worked since you were 15 to being out front of a class with all the responsibility. The worst bit is when the deputy principal walks past... the students go quiet but as soon as they can't see him he is considered 'gone' and the roar begins again, not a good look for the new kid on the block.

When you've got kids send them my way, I'll teach them the stuff they need to know :twisted:

GOD wrote:What, you've gained skills through years of uni? Sounds nothing like my experience with higher education :rolleyes:.

Nah, good work. I admire anyone who has the patience to teach. What subject do you teach?
Actually you're probabily right there with the gained skills... The main things I got from higher education are some great mates, a debt and some highly refined procrastination skills ;)

My method areas are Outdoor Education and Media studies. Unfortunately these are not used as much during emergency teaching. With ET'n we are given any class where a teacher is needed - 90% of the time there will be content and a plan already organised. I'm dreading the day I'm it in a field I'm not familiar with...
AlpineRaven wrote:Oh congratulations! that job beats better than grape picking! been there done that...
All the best.
Thanks AP. I don't mind grape picking - the vineyard I work at is pretty good with it, cooked lunch provided one day...
steptoe wrote:CONGRATS on your first day at school on the other side! How many to a class now?

See how long it takes for some kid to get hold of your mobile number!!
Thanks steptoe, one class I took had 29 students! It was crazy and very hard to control. What makes it most difficult is when you don't know the student's names and when you don't have spare seats up front to move the ones that are playing up.

It probabily wouldn't be hard to get hold of my mobile number, I can think of one student who has it as she's friends with us through her sister and family. If it does get out it wouldn't be from this student/friend. And good on them if they do as most students forget to hide caller ID when pranking...

Thanks everyone for your positive comments, its greatly appreciated. Now I just gotta hope that work is easily lined up.

Cheers

Bennie

subaruby

Post by subaruby » Sun May 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Congrats on the teaching job, a tuff gig teaching teenagers these days. I'm sure you will make a great teacher though, and no doubt inspire a new generation of subaruers as well.
All the best.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2006 Forester, AT tyres, Bash plate.
Suspension lift.

subalex

Post by subalex » Sun May 17, 2009 10:03 pm

Well, congratulations on making the step to the classroom. After 12 years of teaching I can certainly tell it'll sort you out. They'll test you and make you wonder what you were like yourself as a student. They'll make you be stronger in your own personality and be proud of who you are and what you've become.. or else they'll see a crack that they can expose and magnify so much that you'll be consumed with trying to cover it up while they're consumed with opening you up to that 'weakness' even further...

Sure, you'll have some really bad days, and I've ALWAYS found year 8's are the worst age group to teach so I truly know what you mean in your pd5/pd6 descriptions, but it'll only take one good kid's positive work or words of encouragement or that kid whose eyes widen when they just 'get it' and they say with a crescendo "Ahh!"... Then all those rotten moments become nothing and you're be the most satisfied person in the world :-)

I've got to say though... in my first year of teaching (1997) I was earning around $27500 and now you can earn double that in your first year.

I wish you well in the career of teaching. I do love it. I've considered changing careers but I've ended up diversifying the subjects I teach (from Music to VET Entertainment Industry) and it's breathed new oxygen into what was a stale career. There's great potential in this career that I didn't see when I was younger so, enjoy.

If nothing else Subaru can be related to this... my L-series parked outside in the carpark was a great talking point for the kids and I. It always sparked questions from boys in the classroom and this helped to break the ice with some classes. "Do you take it off-road?" was a common question and that led to some great stories... :-)
'91 Sportswagon - 3" lifted, 14" speedys, 27" Nankangs + lots of small details improved. Wouldn't mind some extra grunt from an EJ.

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Mon May 18, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks Subaruby! I've gotta line up jobs as the time goes by, but its a start. As much as I love subarus and 4wding I feel that I have to be careful with putting my opinions on students - they need to make their own opinions for themselves, its a part of growing up and discovering yourself - something most teenagers don't do til later on in life I think...
subalex wrote:Well, congratulations on making the step to the classroom. After 12 years of teaching I can certainly tell it'll sort you out. They'll test you and make you wonder what you were like yourself as a student.
Thanks subalex! And I've already thought about how I was when I was a student - overall I don't think I was that bad - a semi quiet achiever that didn't/wasn't pushed by the teacher alot... I was probabily in the middle somewhere, I'm sure I've got some bad student karma banked somewhere with interest...

subalex wrote:They'll make you be stronger in your own personality and be proud of who you are and what you've become.. or else they'll see a crack that they can expose and magnify so much that you'll be consumed with trying to cover it up while they're consumed with opening you up to that 'weakness' even further...
A good piece of experience to hand on (thanks again!).
subalex wrote:Sure, you'll have some really bad days, and I've ALWAYS found year 8's are the worst age group to teach so I truly know what you mean in your pd5/pd6 descriptions, but it'll only take one good kid's positive work or words of encouragement or that kid whose eyes widen when they just 'get it' and they say with a crescendo "Ahh!"... Then all those rotten moments become nothing and you're be the most satisfied person in the world :-)
Yeah this is why I got into the profession in the first place - I've been working with my old school on camps for about four years with some other work with schools in between. This is what happened friday :D
subalex wrote:I wish you well in the career of teaching. I do love it. I've considered changing careers but I've ended up diversifying the subjects I teach (from Music to VET Entertainment Industry) and it's breathed new oxygen into what was a stale career. There's great potential in this career that I didn't see when I was younger so, enjoy.
Cheers! I'm currently looking at this and next year of emergency teaching with a few other things inbetween the teaching :D Hopefully by then I'll be sorted to settle into a house of my own and get a full time job.
subalex wrote:If nothing else Subaru can be related to this... my L-series parked outside in the carpark was a great talking point for the kids and I. It always sparked questions from boys in the classroom and this helped to break the ice with some classes. "Do you take it off-road?" was a common question and that led to some great stories... :-)
Nice, a good ice breaker is worth heaps in the classroom, so long as its not too distracting! Unfortunately the car park is not in view from 99% of the classrooms - and my subi is not yet lifted...

Cheers all!

Bennie

GOD

Post by GOD » Mon May 18, 2009 9:44 pm

El_Freddo wrote:Thanks Subaruby! I've gotta line up jobs as the time goes by, but its a start. As much as I love subarus and 4wding I feel that I have to be careful with putting my opinions on students - they need to make their own opinions for themselves, its a part of growing up and discovering yourself - something most teenagers don't do til later on in life I think...

Bollocks. Indoctrinate 'em while they're young and impressionable :twisted:

Dane.

ScubyRoo

Post by ScubyRoo » Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 am

Good stuff bennie! I'm in my final year at monash, outdoor ed and SOSE are my two methods. What is it with outdoor edders and subis???

Just finished my 5 week teaching block at a tough inner melbourne public school - pretty full on that's for sure! So much of subalex's comments ring true for me also, that 'light bulb' moment makes all the shit times worth it.

Are you already working in the outdoor ed industry? I've been freelancing a bit while at uni as I did an internship over in canada before coming back for uni... I'm heading overseas next year (back to BC) but after I plan on free lancing with some casual relief teaching to spend some time at home... unless a good teaching position comes up close to home...

Emergency teachers cop it pretty bad, remember that you're the adult and you're in charge - not them. Every school has behaviour expectations and consequences, learn them and the coordinators and principals names so you can use them in class, some how kids seem to respond to that better. Aside from that one thing that I've really gained from my prac is that confidence is KEY, if you look and act like you have little confidence it is a teenagers god-given right to walk all over you, just ask them!

I dunno about year 8 being hardest, I reckon year nines can give a run for their money too!
The Green Machine is up for sale :(. Lifted, bars, exhausts... View Gumtree ad

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Thu May 21, 2009 5:12 pm

ScubyRoo wrote:Good stuff bennie! I'm in my final year at monash, outdoor ed and SOSE are my two methods. What is it with outdoor edders and subis???

Just finished my 5 week teaching block at a tough inner melbourne public school - pretty full on that's for sure! So much of subalex's comments ring true for me also, that 'light bulb' moment makes all the shit times worth it.

Are you already working in the outdoor ed industry? I've been freelancing a bit while at uni as I did an internship over in canada before coming back for uni... I'm heading overseas next year (back to BC) but after I plan on free lancing with some casual relief teaching to spend some time at home... unless a good teaching position comes up close to home...

Emergency teachers cop it pretty bad, remember that you're the adult and you're in charge - not them. Every school has behaviour expectations and consequences, learn them and the coordinators and principals names so you can use them in class, some how kids seem to respond to that better. Aside from that one thing that I've really gained from my prac is that confidence is KEY, if you look and act like you have little confidence it is a teenagers god-given right to walk all over you, just ask them!

I dunno about year 8 being hardest, I reckon year nines can give a run for their money too!
Hehehe, yeah, us outdoor ed'ers do love our subi's! The L was the pick of the bunch when I was there. There's still quite a few around in benders - I've always had the urge to slip a note under their windscreen wiper inviting them to the forum :mrgreen:

That five weeks is full on, even without the kids! I have my rego due around this time of year, had no income and copped a speeding fine (an L? speeding???) that was due while I was on my rounds... That was a fun time! I survived...

Sounds like you've got a plan there. I came into this not really knowing what I wanted - I had applied for a few jobs but nothing eventuated, and with going away to kokoda in late April this year I didn't like my chances of getting the time off if I got a full time job. When I got back there was no casual work at the vineyard so I had to pull my finger out. I'm loving it now, except this morning, I'll tell you more about that shortly ;)

Emergency teachers do cop it bad - if you let them give it to you! So far that has not happened, but I'm sure there will be a day that'll knock the socks off me...

Getting back to the year 8 worst year level - I think it moves from year to year, I have usually known the year 9's to be the worst. I'm having trouble pin pointing which is worst now, even between different schools there is no one distinct worst year level, just bad classes...

This morning I got a call at 8am. I accepted the work and thought "wicked" to myself as I'd ironed shirts/prepared the night before. I had thought that Murphy's law would kick in - I iron shirts for work the next day but I don't get offered work...
Well as it turns out Murphy's law was in full swing! I went to have a shower - no water. "BUGGER!" Ah well I'll go and check out the problem - we swapped a tank over last friday. After some rushed investigation I found the pump switched off, odd. Once back on it made a nasty noise, turned it off and checked the tank by thumping the side of my fist against it - all I got back was an echoing hollow thump sound. We didn't get a km outta this tank (and Steptoe, it was a big tank! :twisted:), we actually got less than a week outta the tank, but I don't think it was full to start with.
Great, this was no case of "just swapping tanks" - We usually don't use the tanks so they were plumbed in using some piping from the others... So I had to re-configure the plumbing (and I was just in my robe, glad there wasn't a frost). Got that sorted, got back in the house to find no hot water, air lock and I didn't have time to screw around with that so went to work not feeling the greatest and running late.

The day got better the longer it went though.

And we've got hot water now :D

Cheers

Bennie

PS - Dane: I almost indoctrinated a few the other day but caught myself just before I started - actually, the students started it! They used the usual trap - what kinda car do you drive..?

steptoe
Master Member

Post by steptoe » Fri May 22, 2009 9:52 am

You didn't give in did you, and tell them straight away? Make a deal if THEY survive the lesson you tell them at the end - they still have childs brain. Come to think of it, scientists tell us we all do until 25 or so.

T'subaru

Post by T'subaru » Sun May 24, 2009 10:25 am

Congrats Bennie! Noble career choice, and a deep appreciaton i'll bet from subaru dealers, wreckers and aftermarket vendors in 8 or so years

Return to “Open Slather”