cappucino making

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
rob83ke70

cappucino making

Post by rob83ke70 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:56 pm

hey
anyone out there experienced in the making of good cappuccino coffee? I can make a pretty reasonable cappuccino bar one thing: I can't get the foam to mix with the crema of the espresso properly, let alone make the cool pattern in the top of the cappuccino. I always end up with white foam on top.

I'm aiming for a fair amount of foam on top too (I mean isn't that the point of drinking a cappuccino?). I normally texture the milk until its a bit over double in volume and then tap the jug on the bench and swirl to break the big bubbles down so its all uniform. I'm pretty sure I get the espresso pour right too.

The instruction video that came with the machine wasn't overly specific on this particular aspect of the coffee making.

Robert.

dibs

Post by dibs » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:47 pm

use realy fresh milk

dibs

ps did spell anything wrong lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:02 am

doesn't seem to make that much difference how fresh the milk is. I get the right amount of foam and its nice and creamy. I was trawling around on the internet and looking at videos, maybe i'm not shaking the jug enough when pouring the milk into the espresso? I will find out this morning...

Robert

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:29 am

I was watching a dude in some cafe making coffee's and he heated the milk, taped the jug, left it for maybe 10 seconds to settle while he's putting the shot in the cup/mug, then put the foam in 1st, dusted with chocolate and then poured in the milk.
I usually always see the foam go in towards the end so was abit weird to see.

Seemed to work and it blended the crema with the foam pretty well.

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:35 pm

i used to work in cafe for a few years, what i do is, where the nozzle is, is just touching on the surface of the milk, but not make mess with milk that goes everywhere meaning its too close to the top go down a bit, that way the hot air lets pushing down the milk hence fine bubbles forms up. When its arnd 70 to 75degrees remove it, tap it gently on hard surface to build thicker layer of foam to the top. Bingo!
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:53 pm

but how to get the foam mixed perfectly with the crema of the espresso, especially in that nice little pattern than baristas seem to be so good at?

mattw

Post by mattw » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:54 pm

the Barristas have a special jiggle (front to back)and wiggle (side to side) technique as you pour the milk/froth to blend it with the crema, and make all the funky designs.
practice makes perfect.

D3V1L

Post by D3V1L » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:03 pm

lots of movement when u pour it into the cup is the key...did it for a while myself and managed to get a swirl happening and mixed the crema with the froth pretty good

dave
no more subarus

[/SIZE] [/color][/B][/color][/SIZE][/color]http://community.webshots.com/user/D3V1L9

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:23 pm

I love cappucinos and my missus bought me a machine...but I just cannot get the taste right..it doesn't taste like in the shops. I've bought different coffee grounds etc but just can't jag it. The machine is back in the cupboard and I am buying those instant cappucinos from Woolies. ..

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 pm

subybrumby wrote:I love cappucinos and my missus bought me a machine...but I just cannot get the taste right..it doesn't taste like in the shops. I've bought different coffee grounds etc but just can't jag it. The machine is back in the cupboard and I am buying those instant cappucinos from Woolies. ..
Home cap maker never gets right as the shop one... I dont know why i've gone thru that as well, its in the cupboard as well, will never use it again!...
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page

Psymon

Post by Psymon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:43 pm

I've had two machines and i've noticed that as well. Both of my machines were relatively cheap (sub $200) and i've often wondered if the pricey ones give the more authentic taste?

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:57 pm

to get the taste EXACTLY the same I think you need to buy fresh beans and grind them yourself before pouring the espresso. taste varies depending on the beans.

I got the hang of mixing the foam with the crema tonight, I'm gonna be drinking these all night.... I do have a suzuki swift carburettor to rebuild tonight though...

I can make espresso from premium ground coffee in my espresso machine that tastes as good as MOST coffees I can buy around town, with the exception of a few really really good baristas.

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:01 pm

subybrumby wrote:I love cappucinos and my missus bought me a machine...but I just cannot get the taste right..it doesn't taste like in the shops. I've bought different coffee grounds etc but just can't jag it. The machine is back in the cupboard and I am buying those instant cappucinos from Woolies. ..
If I'm ever up in toowoomba I can drop in and show you how to make a good cappuccino. I haven't really got into lattes, flat whites, tall blacks etc but I'm pretty confident I can make a good cappuccino that you will like.

subybrumby

Post by subybrumby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:05 pm

I will take you up on that mate, because I love my coffee, thanks

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:22 am

subybrumby wrote:I will take you up on that mate, because I love my coffee, thanks
I'm joining you guys lol

Dunno if coffee can prevent from getting skin cancer?
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:

Outback bloke

Post by Outback bloke » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am

The Coffee Guy that advertises on here uses "homestyle" machines when he is mobile. He says they work just as well but don't last as long. Apparently it is in using fresh ground beans and cool but not cold milk.

rob83ke70

Post by rob83ke70 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:29 am

We had a mobile coffee guy that came around to work last year every day (at least when he felt like it, sometimes he'd go missing) and I reckon I can make coffee better than he can.... sometimes he'd get it right and it would be really really nice, sometimes a cappuccino would look like a flat white, sometimes the espresso was strong, sometimes it was weak. it was all a bit hit and miss....

bobbyjimmy

Post by bobbyjimmy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am

Its all in the grind (and beans to your taste).
Get it too fine and enough water doesn't get thru and the beans get over extracted = bitter sh!t coffee.
Get it too coarse and the water goes straight thru = watery coffee, people that don't like strong coffee sometimes like it this way for some reason...

Theres a thread in the Off Topic area on NASIOC.com (an Impreza forum) from a Barista who knows his stuff, you can ask questions and he answers basically every question.
One thing he does is use fresh spring water (he likes FIJI water), but that seems abit over the top to me.

dibs

Post by dibs » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:20 pm

thats sompin else i do sometimes put the froth jug in the freezer for a bit just befor making

dibs
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

daveosubi

Post by daveosubi » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:12 pm

I use a stove top now, there cheap and make great coffee. I nuke the milk and whisk it round with a fork, not as frothy as the machines but good enough. Ive seen some stovetop's which can steam the milk too, im keeping an eye out for one would be great for camping.

The trouble with the foam can also be the cows at certain times of the year.
http://www.coffee-a-roma.com.au/shop/en/info/faq-7.html

Return to “Open Slather”