Dakar 09

Go wild here with what ever takes your fancy ...
Wilbur
General Member

Post by Wilbur » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Wasn't Bitsamissing running lancers this year.......
There is only one thing you must do in your life. Everything else is a choice.

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:10 am

fredsub wrote:did you not click on the link supplied above?

The race Toureg, doubt you'll see it here for rally like WRC etc, its not a production chassis, Finke maybe?
A Toureg is quite affordable, considering what you get for it, and it looks like this new diesel of theirs is a good one.
Its not based in a heavy chassis type like a land cruzer or landrover so thats a plus for a vehicle that afterall spends more time on tarmac.
Pity i haven't found much like forums discussing them, in depth, modding etc.
Unlike Subaru, of which there are plenty of good quality technical depth forums.
Link wouldn't work. Can't you just tell me?

If you think the Dakar Touregs are modified, wait until you see the one they built for the Baja. It's also full tube frame but 2WD with a live rear axle and 37"s.
Settlement Creek Racing

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 pm

&quot wrote: Volkswagen’s entry for the 2009 Dakar rally is the Volkswagen Race Touareg 2. Four units of these offroad racing monsters will be piloted by Spaniard Carlos Sainz and his French navigator Michel Perlin; Giniel de Villiers (South Africa) and Dirk von Zitzewith (Germany); Mark Miller (USA) and Ralph Pitchford (South Africa) and Dieter Depping partnered with fellow German Timo Gottschalk.
The Race Touareg 2 is built from an aluminium tube frame, with the body panels fitted over it, much like how the Racing Lancer is constructed. The racers will be supported by a team of support and service trucks. The racers and the support trucks together with parts and equipment will be shipped to Le Havre, France for scrutineering before being shipped over to South America for the Dakar race.
Powering the Race Touareg 2 racers are 2.5 liter TDI engines which can produce 280 PS, build by Volkswagen Motorsport in Hanover, Germany.

It is interesting to note that some RAV4s were entered in the Dakar. Sure they got knocked out in early stages, but seems someone obviously thought they were capable, whilst I personally never gave RAV4 much credibility for off-road, but maybe they are heaps better than Subaru?

Subaru are chicken.....

:pheres hoping for the McFly effect........:mrgreen::mrgreen:

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:36 pm

When I first saw the Al tubing reference, I thought no, surely he doesn't think they have alloy rollcages. And there it is, large as life. I don't know whose website that is but I can assure you nobody uses aluminium tube. The last pic shows it perfectly. That is tig welded crome-moly. Even if you wanted to build something out of alloy, it wouldn't pass scruiteeneering.
Settlement Creek Racing

fredsub

Post by fredsub » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:10 pm

Chrome Molyis an alloy also............:confused::confused:

but your right, now that I looked at it again,der,... Al welds sure don't ever look like that;)

Return to “Open Slather”