Red dust!!!

Look for help topics on Forum related issues here ...
Lyddy

Red dust!!!

Post by Lyddy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi i have a 1988 Fawn Brumby, and it came from out west nsw...
it is in great condition, but i have found that it is covered and full of fine red dust!

I took the rear lights of the other day to clean and found 3 inches thick of red dust down the length of the side cavity... also behind the two small screw off plates below the tail gate...
my question is does anyone know if there are holes in this area so that i could then guerney the dust out and the dust will go too...
IF NOT then the wet red dust will cause rust???

i need a Brumby expert to help if possible.
thanks heaps
Lyddy

El_Freddo
Master Member

Post by El_Freddo » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:08 pm

G'day Lyddy,

While you're in the forum help area, its probabily best to post this in the workshop "troubleshooting" area - this place is more for posting problems/forum usage related issues.

The best guys to get onto would be the subi boys, they've cleaned out and restored several brumby's and are working on another now...

Best of luck.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
El Freddo's Pics - El_Freddo's youtube

brumbyrunner
General Member

Post by brumbyrunner » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:04 pm

The ute's tailgate and inner guard area are designed to drain. There is a row of drain holes along the bottom pinch-weld and it would pay to ensure these are not blocked as you hose it out. The red dust itself isn't corrosive but if it blocks the drain holes then the ute sides will fill up with water with obvious consequences. Same setup with doors (on nearly every car).
Settlement Creek Racing

ian059

Red Dust

Post by ian059 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Use water as a last resort. First try to get as much out with a good industrial vacuum cleaner, then use an air hose with a blower nozzle, whilst holding the vacuum nozzle near the exit points to minimise the dust cloud.

When you are sure that you can remove no more with the air, check that your drain holes are clear before using the high pressure water cleaner.

This might seem like a lot of bother, but you are right the mud will start the corrosion cycle. So, avoid the mud at all costs.

When the dirt is gone and the inside panels are dry, be sure to give it a liberal dose of fish oil or some other rust preventer that does not dry, to take advantage of the capillary action.

Have fun!!

IanC (car detailer to the stars) :mrgreen:

Suby Wan Kenobi
General Member

Post by Suby Wan Kenobi » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:56 pm

When i cleaned out my Liberty of red dust i stripped it out bare and then hosed the dust out, then blew it out with compressed air to dry it out then left it in the sun to dry out for a few days. After that it was factory clean i made decent dust dran holes and then re sealed the whole car with anti corrosion coat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The long road ahead

maxxair

Post by maxxair » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Quote:Use water as a last resort. First try to get as much out with a good industrial vacuum cleaner.

^^^ or a carwashes. could vacume the mud too. (aww but the sticker says not too.<)
Cheers, Rohan M.

Gravity.. PAH!! Watch this.:twisted:

http://www.BERSERKARU.com <For All Berserk Subarus<

AlpineRaven

Post by AlpineRaven » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:07 pm

I had that problem in the tailgate door a few years ago, i used high pressure wash to remove it, so that might be best option to get the dirt "move around" at the same time draining it... If you used air would move the dust somewhere else but doesnt "get out"
Cheers
AP
Subarus that I have/had:
1995 Liberty "Rallye" - 5MT AWD, LSD - *written off 25/8/06 in towing accident.
1996 Liberty Wagon - SkiFX AWD 5MT D/R, Lifted.. Outback Sway Bar, 1.59:1 Low Gearing see thread: 1.59:1 in EJ Box Page
Sold at 385,000kms in July 2011.
2007 Liberty BP Wagon, 2.5i automatic

Return to “Forum Help Area”